Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Can we just check @El Zen are you North Face and skin fade, or are you North Face weed salesman? Frankie and his cultural diaries need to know which sub group you are in.

I do have a skin fade haircut, yes 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 04/02/2023 at 09:36, Davkaus said:

Why, did you not see all the other shit they appeared in before this one? :D

The original film was brilliant, every other Jurassic film has been absolutely woeful. I've not watched Dominion but I bet it can't be much worse than Jurassic Park 3. 

I never cared much fore the original cast anyway tbh, they were mediocre actors who were in the right place at the right time to appear in a Spielberg masterpiece  that was going to be a classic no matter who appeared in it

The new ones make The Lost World look like The Shawshank Redemption

On 06/02/2023 at 09:23, foreveryoung said:

The road from Bassetts pole to the Belfry has just had new cameras installed, not just in certain blackspots though, all the way down.

On 06/02/2023 at 09:25, Seat68 said:

Really? I used to drive that route every day and it was basically auto pilot, didnt have to think about anything as it was camera free.

They have but I think they've raised the speed limit haven't they?

It was 50mph before with only one camera near the Belfry.

Now they've put average speed cams but a lot of the road is now national speed limit

14 hours ago, Seat68 said:

There can’t be any anti hoodie people on here surely. 

It'll be the same people who wear walking shoes and Regatta fleeces every day while moaning about fashion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It'll be the same people who wear walking shoes and Regatta fleeces every day while moaning about fashion

Oh just relax will you Gok Wan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I was in Bradford On Avon a few days ago.

Or to be more precise, a few days ago I was the only person in Bradford on Avon that wasn’t wearing walking shoes and a Regatta fleece. It was a septuagenarian zombie apocalypse, mostly congregating outside tearooms or choosing the narrowest bits of bridge and pavement to stop and have a little think.

• Like 2

Watched the second episode of "Hindmarsh prison" last night and I could not believe what I was watching.This is supposed to be the toughest prison in the UK,its for hardened crims only ( serial killers,serial rapists,terrorists,etc etc.There is a Pool table in the main hall,there is Jym equipement in the yard and the inmates have a desk,book shelds and TV in their cells,oh yes and they can buy things from the prison shop.

It made me think,if this is THE toughest prison in the UK.What hapens if a prisner breaks the rules ? dose he get to miss next weeks Pool tournament,banned from keeping in shape on the exercise equipment for a week and if he is REALLY NAUGHTY, maybe he gets $10 less spending money this week.

FFS,these guys never had a pool table,home jym till they went to prison.  

There isn't a prison called Hindmarsh. Belmarsh probably? It doesn't bode well for the rest of your points, if I'm honest.

,its for hardened crims only ( serial killers,serial rapists,terrorists,etc

Assuming I have guessed the right prison, this isn't true, there are lots of less serious offenders there

It made me think,if this is THE toughest prison in the UK.What hapens if a prisner breaks the rules ? 

Well, I imagine it depends how severely they break the rules. Shanking another inmate might be treated more severely than speaking out of turn, for example, but they do have the facilities for putting people in solitary confinement, if that pleases you.

Edited by Davkaus

Always makes me laugh when people complain that prisoners get pool tables or gym equipment, or even playstations.

During lockdown, I had access to more than that, and I was climbing the walls within a week.

Simple loss of freedom is a severe punishment.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

Watched the second episode of "Hindmarsh prison" last night and I could not believe what I was watching.This is supposed to be the toughest prison in the UK,its for hardened crims only ( serial killers,serial rapists,terrorists,etc etc.There is a Pool table in the main hall,there is Jym equipement in the yard and the inmates have a desk,book shelds and TV in their cells,oh yes and they can buy things from the prison shop.

It made me think,if this is THE toughest prison in the UK.What hapens if a prisner breaks the rules ? dose he get to miss next weeks Pool tournament,banned from keeping in shape on the exercise equipment for a week and if he is REALLY NAUGHTY, maybe he gets $10 less spending money this week.

FFS,these guys never had a pool table,home jym till they went to prison.  

Do you mean Belmarsh? You have to appreciate that prisoners are still human and after being locked up for up to 23 hours a day, gym equipment is small comfort, as for a pool table, snooker or pool has been in most institutes for many many years. The TV, it is provided but it can also be taken away, how do you punish someone that is already being punished, remove the small comforts they have. Also I believe Australian prisons also allow prisoners these comforts.

39 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Do you mean Belmarsh? You have to appreciate that prisoners are still human and after being locked up for up to 23 hours a day, gym equipment is small comfort, as for a pool table, snooker or pool has been in most institutes for many many years. The TV, it is provided but it can also be taken away, how do you punish someone that is already being punished, remove the small comforts they have. Also I believe Australian prisons also allow prisoners these comforts.

As far as I know all of the western world has the same conditions.IMHO there should not be any comforts ( small or otherwise ) they are incasterated because they did something wrong ( as far as belmarsh is concerned,they have done something very very wrong ) apparently that terrorist that chopped that English soldier is in there right now.What small comforts should he be allowed to enjoy ? Why does he not enjoy the same comforts his victim enjoys right now?!

2 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

As far as I know all of the western world has the same conditions.IMHO there should not be any comforts ( small or otherwise ) they are incasterated because they did something wrong ( as far as belmarsh is concerned,they have done something very very wrong ) apparently that terrorist that chopped that English soldier is in there right now.What small comforts should he be allowed to enjoy ? Why does he not enjoy the same comforts his victim enjoys right now?!

Thats a wider discussion on crime and punishment, Julian Assange it seems is currently incarcerated, is he the same as Lee Rigbys killers? Or a man that is in prison for a white collar crime, or perhaps some one who sought revenge for another harming their child, do we not allow them television, or access to books, or snooker, or a gym. Its not david lloyd fitness by the way. Its reasonable to treat those in the system as human, I am glad we do, regardless of the crime. A prisoner having access to these things are not what we should be focusing on, its not what they have access to, it should be do they have access to rehabilitation, that's where the focus should be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Always makes me laugh when people complain that prisoners get pool tables or gym equipment, or even playstations.

During lockdown, I had access to more than that, and I was climbing the walls within a week.

Simple loss of freedom is a severe punishment.

And prison is supposed to be rehabilitation. People forget that. The purpose is not to destroy an individual. Quite the opposite in fact (although American prison system might argue with that). The psychological effect of incarceration on all but the most hardened criminals is supposed to be hellish on its own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

As far as I know all of the western world has the same conditions.IMHO there should not be any comforts ( small or otherwise ) they are incasterated because they did something wrong

People have already addressed why this is a terrible idea.

As BOF suggests, there is almost always an element of rehabilitation. Leaving aside the in depth debate on relative value of rehabilitation vs retribution, if prisons are dehumanising hellholes, what kind of creatures are going to come out of there? Almost all of these inmates will be released at some point.

Seat68 also makes the very good point that you need some element of the carrot. If these prisoners have nothing to enjoy, there's nothing to take away. How do you punish prisoners inside if they already have nothing? Maybe you'd restore the cane 

You'll be horrified to know that Charlton Athletic run football coaching courses in Belmarsh :) 

Edited by Davkaus

On 07/02/2023 at 14:37, chrisp65 said:

I have a slow burn plan to try and get a favour out of him by the end of this calendar year. So I started following him on twitter a little while ago with the intention of liking his ramblings for a month or three and then smashing his DM’s.

"rn" looks like "m" and now I can't whip out the KW, annoyingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PussEKatt said:

I would maybe pay less serious attention to TV programmes about prisons. They are there for entertainment. There are between 600 to 1000 inside the various bits of Belmarsh and they will have different levels of access to different levels of amenity. Many may only get physically out of their cell for 1 hour in every 24.

If you are genuinely interested, the 27th May 2022 Independent Review of HMP Belmarsh by the HM Inspectorate of Prisons is available here.

The vast majority of prisoners in Belmarsh are unsentenced, the vast majority will eventually be released. Where there is any chance of release we have to ask ourselves whether the ‘revenge and punishment’ model will help those in society these people encounter once they are released. Or whether we’d all be safer if they are educated and rehabilitated. I’m not suggesting the current system works by the way.

It’s an interesting topic, and an eye for an eye is certainly one system that lots of people like. Whether it actually helps us, I guess there’s a whole debate to be had there. 

But yeah, TV programmes eh. I saw this one where there was a women’s prison in Australia, and I kid you not I’m sure I could see some of the walls wobbling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I completely see where PussEKatt is coming from, relative to South America or somewhere like the Philippines our prisoners are living in luxury, maybe too much for some people but all it does it perpetuate the cycle of violence in these countries which then spills out into wider society.

My father in law worked for a long time in a prison in Leicester. He was installing phones in the cells. He mentioned they get deliveries Amazon and picked their meals in advance from menu’s.

I don’t know which type of criminal that prison holds, and I’m certain despite those things I’d much rather be on the outside.

4 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

I was in Bradford On Avon a few days ago.

Or to be more precise, a few days ago I was the only person in Bradford on Avon that wasn’t wearing walking shoes and a Regatta fleece. It was a septuagenarian zombie apocalypse, mostly congregating outside tearooms or choosing the narrowest bits of bridge and pavement to stop and have a little think.

That will be the entire country outside the metropolitan cities in about 20 years. It's demographic time bomb.

Â