Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

It wasn't an urgent matter though.

it was one user who locked his own phone.

In the IT world that's the very definition of an incredibly low priority issue.

And even for a legit high priority issue, a ticket is needed. This is basic stuff.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I once moaned about my companies abysmal IT support on VillaTalk.

It didn't go down well, I never made that mistake again.

Comedy Central Reaction GIF by Lights Out with David Spade

I had no idea it was the third rail of the VT Off Topic section. Glad someone else knocked over an ornament in this spooky old house, not me!

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, GarethRDR said:

Just to throw this in, as this is the "things that piss you off that shouldn't thread", I'd say the OP was very much appropriate.

Stir The Pot GIFs | Tenor

By definition so is 'IT people are annoyed with IT illiterate, entitled users' :P  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'm still laughing at the fact @Seat68 is calling kenji useless in one post, and telling us he actually paid a person to come and install some shelves in another :lol:  

Confirming that IT staff are indeed, useless bastards. 

;) 

User error. I wouldn’t mind but my job is literally highlighting errors. 

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well, ye I guess. But the point is that a lot of people can have trouble with the dumbest tech problem solving, thus they call tech support. It's not really up for the support to define what requires a helping hand or not.

If the line spacing is an issue and it's slowing down delivery of a project, then tech support is the way to go.

It would be like someone calling me and asking how they buy a can of pop from the vending machine because I work in procurement.

I'd probably still help them because I'm not a word removed. But it certainly isn't my job. And I'd argue IT support isn't there to teach you how to use Word properly. Or GMail.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It would be like someone calling me and asking how they buy a can of pop from the vending machine because I work in procurement.

I'd probably still help them because I'm not a word removed. But it certainly isn't my job. And I'd argue IT support isn't there to teach you how to use Word properly. Or GMail.

The analogy I tend to use is: use of standard operational apps (word/outlook/gmail etc) is like the use of a electric oven (kind of expected that you can use it) if you don't know how to cook with it you'd read the manual and/or cook book not call the store/warranty helpline or local repair guy.  It's something you need to know to do your jobs so in this case the manual is MS/apple user guides or google.   If you want someone to show you how to cook with your oven hire a chef.  A business needs to know what they want from app support/training on top of supporting the underlying tech eg. Get a dedicated app support person if that's what you want/need.

Although I spend a chunk of my day on things that are not my job, yes its annoying but I kind of enjoy it as it tends to end up that I learn new things that can then be applied elsewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The list of winners from this years Grammy Awards.

I know I might be a bit blinkered but FFS, 50% of the winners are utter cack, the other half I've never heard of.

All award ceremonies are cack now - Oscars, Globes, Emmys, etc

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Trust me, as someone that works in a company with lots of different experts on ridiculous niches. You have no idea how many of those who make us millions on something weird, yet won't know how to model a simple map.

Technical computer ability and being crazy smart and a good money maker is not the same thing at all. This is why good tech support is essential.

Have you considered that maybe the IT Dept is not only allowing everyone else in the Company to do their jobs but also saving the Company millions by making them secure from cyber attacks such as ransomware, malware etc and by installing and following DLP and access control protocols they are safeguarding any PII that the firm has (both internal and external) meaning that you're less likely to have a breach resulting in a loss of customers and large fine? 

14 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Can we change the subject and start arguing about how useless Procurement /Sourcing / Buying departments are? Products are always late/wrong/to expensive etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Can we change the subject and start arguing about how useless Procurement /Sourcing / Buying departments are? Products are always late/wrong/to expensive etc. 

If you like...

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you like...

Not really. It's an argument I had people throw at me and my colleagues for several years when I used to work directly in Procurement (I'm now part of a Group Sourcing function but no longer buying or doing defined relationship management). Similarly to IT as an area which is often under appreciated and has to deal with a lot of unnecessary nonsense. 

37 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Not really. It's an argument I had people throw at me and my colleagues for several years when I used to work directly in Procurement (I'm now part of a Group Sourcing function but no longer buying or doing defined relationship management). Similarly to IT as an area which is often under appreciated and has to deal with a lot of unnecessary nonsense. 

My experience is obviously we're not perfect. Shit happens.

But procurement are almost like the waiters in a restaurant. No matter what happens behind the scenes in the kitchen, it's the waiters who have to bring the shit to the table, and because they're at the end of the line they get all the grief.

That's a bit like procurement. No matter how many late drawings we've had and demand changes and programme managers delaying things, we get the blame if a part is late

• Like 1

When IT and procurement collide; our procurement department wanted a new tool to replace their shit sharepoint based one.

I built them a model, sent em costs, demo'd everything and then they **** off.

Dicks.

21 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My experience is obviously we're not perfect. Shit happens.

But procurement are almost like the waiters in a restaurant. No matter what happens behind the scenes in the kitchen, it's the waiters who have to bring the shit to the table, and because they're at the end of the line they get all the grief.

That's a bit like procurement. No matter how many late drawings we've had and demand changes and programme managers delaying things, we get the blame if a part is late

Good analogy and I do not miss waiting tables when at Uni. 

Nobody is perfect, that's the key and unfortunately some people forget it. Did Sales/customer facing stuff for a while too and think perhaps the reason they get so worked up and go nuts on Sourcing/IT etc is because they're getting grief from the customers (and because they think it's affecting their paycheck). I've seen a lot of old school buying/Supplier engagement (quotes such as 'pin the supplier to the wall by the neck and squeeze it out of them' spring to mind) although thankfully that's less common in Procurement nowadays. People seem to forget the critical suppliers are a relationship and you need to find that win win scenario. People should just try being nicer to each other. 

15 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

When IT and procurement collide; our procurement department wanted a new tool to replace their shit sharepoint based one.

I built them a model, sent em costs, demo'd everything and then they **** off.

Dicks.

The line spacing was probably off. 

Â