Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The main problem with Depression is where do you draw the line between having a bad day/week/month and deciding you genuinely have a problem.

I think they have gotten it all wrong in America where at the first sign of anything unusual you get dosed up to the eyeballs with meds, doesn't matter whether you are 5 or 50, its the same solution for everyone.

This is quite aggressively put, but I do agree to an extent.

All very good reading re: depression and your experiences and such. Nice one VT you lovely lot x

Got 'diagnosed' (if you can call it that) back in the summer. I had no idea myself as just thought I was dealing with the sort of shite everyone has to deal with, so not coping so well with things was just par for the course. I suspect I've had periods like this for donkeys years going back to my youth, but while you're going through it, you just think it's normal and what everyone else goes through, so how would you know?

But I'd got quite 'down' over a period of a few months, including heart palpitations and feelings of anger. I didn't feel 'down' though, just normal for myself, as I get like that quite often. I had got increasingly tired though, sometimes crazily so.

It took my missus to 'send' me to the Doc's (she has a history of issues including eating an disorder an PND) as she saw the signs apparently, and we were having more problems ion our marriage due to it. Both the doc and the counsellor suggested anti depressants, an whilst I was reluctant at first, they obviously know what they are doing, so I went along with it. A little while later my mood improved quite a bit, and things started not to feel so bad (I guess my feelings before going to the docs where that I was spinning loads of plates on spikes, and they were all going to come crashing down and everything was just going to be **** up). But the tablets have helped, things don't seem so bad, at times even quite rosy, despite blips.

There's not stigma to it. Most people would obviously not even know I'm on tablets. It was just my own reluctance to take them that I had to get past, as I didn't feel I needed them. Now I just see them as a bit like having a beer or 2. They make me feel (a bit) better (though you can't rely on them 100% and do need to address your own internal issues that get you down).   

• Like 3

The main problem with Depression is where do you draw the line between having a bad day/week/month and deciding you genuinely have a problem.

I think they have gotten it all wrong in America where at the first sign of anything unusual you get dosed up to the eyeballs with meds, doesn't matter whether you are 5 or 50, its the same solution for everyone.

totally agree.

All very good reading re: depression and your experiences and such. Nice one VT you lovely lot x

Got 'diagnosed' (if you can call it that) back in the summer. I had no idea myself as just thought I was dealing with the sort of shite everyone has to deal with, so not coping so well with things was just par for the course. I suspect I've had periods like this for donkeys years going back to my youth, but while you're going through it, you just think it's normal and what everyone else goes through, so how would you know?

But I'd got quite 'down' over a period of a few months, including heart palpitations and feelings of anger. I didn't feel 'down' though, just normal for myself, as I get like that quite often. I had got increasingly tired though, sometimes crazily so.

It took my missus to 'send' me to the Doc's (she has a history of issues including eating an disorder an PND) as she saw the signs apparently, and we were having more problems ion our marriage due to it. Both the doc and the counsellor suggested anti depressants, an whilst I was reluctant at first, they obviously know what they are doing, so I went along with it. A little while later my mood improved quite a bit, and things started not to feel so bad (I guess my feelings before going to the docs where that I was spinning loads of plates on spikes, and they were all going to come crashing down and everything was just going to be **** up). But the tablets have helped, things don't seem so bad, at times even quite rosy, despite blips.

There's not stigma to it. Most people would obviously not even know I'm on tablets. It was just my own reluctance to take them that I had to get past, as I didn't feel I needed them. Now I just see them as a bit like having a beer or 2. They make me feel (a bit) better (though you can't rely on them 100% and do need to address your own internal issues that get you down).   

i can relate to this a lot but ive never carried on taking the tablets ive been prescribed by the doctor. ive been two or three times regarding feeling not quite right and each time they tell me its mild depression so the way i look at it is that i can deal with it without getting hooked on tablets. i remember being as young as 11 and feeling depressed which is a bit weird because i dont think at that age you should be unless you have major problems going on in your life. i half attemped to take my own life a few years back and got sent to see someone but i quickly got over it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think these things can often start quite young Ruge. You develop your own strategies for dealing with things/life, but sometimes those strategies aren't quite enough. I don't think it ever completely goes away, but can be dealt with, I guess with or without meds, depending on how bad it is.

Being diagnosed with depression, realising I'm completely ignorant to mental health issues and struggling to understand why or how this has happened.

My advice would be not to get too hung up on the word 'diagnosed' like you have suddenly become someone different: 'depression' is just one of a number of normal behaviours.

And like other behaviours, the fact that it hasn't been eliminated by natural selection means that it is adaptive, ie it helps with survival

Some categories of depression are called endogenous (arising from within) but usually it is the result of difficult life events.

It is possible that your 'depression' has an identifiable cause and is therefore a natural reaction to your situation.

Like insomnia, depression tends to be made worse by worrying about it: so a bad day can be misinterpreted as something serious and permanent. 

Take comfort in the fact that huge numbers of people get bouts of depression and most get better with or without therapy or medication.

The worst thing you have to face is that you might have to change: either your view of yourself in the world or the demands you and other people place upon yourself. 

SSRIs definitely work but do come with side-effects and although they give people a nice holiday from their problems, coming off them can be traumatic.

And ultimately unless the person is willing to make changes, their depression is likely to return. 

• Like 3

i just think these days with all the pressure we have from all angles its easy to feel a bit strained and down, and its easy for a doctor to say yeah your depressed now take these tablets. id rather not take any medication unless i really needed it, but for instance my mum and missus would not last two weeks without them.

A couple of months ago Virgin Media spammed the shit out of me, patting themselves on the back over some free speed increases for customers, that I still haven't got yet.

Today it's been announced that they're raising prices, associated with the free speed increases, that I still don't have.

**** bellends.

• Like 1

SSRIs definitely work...

I think people have to be very, very careful before writing stuff like this (even with a 'do come with side-effects' caveat).

They (SSRIs) can work and they may work but they may well not.

Edited by snowychap

Too much to respond too individually, but some very good points made by all for/against depression and methods of dealing with. Jon your post is almost exactly the same as my situation as, just probably dealing with things in a slightly different way. Thanks all, it's obviously more common than I imagined, it's gonna be a long road no doubt but nothing else to do but fight it

• Like 3

The key is alcohol and football manager. That's how I deal with mine: delusions of managerial expertise.

A depressant and bashing your head against a robot.

index.jpg

edit - In all seriousness CED I know you are a keen book reader and (IMO) that is a good strategy for dealing with depression. A lot of depression is about getting stuck in a single perspective and I think the way books force you to look at things from other angles is very helpful.

As well as generally being a relaxing thing to do. Help reduce stress levels etc.

That and exercise. If you dont want to take anti depressants then do tons of exercise. Basically releases the bodies natural antidepressants, less harmful and last longer.

Edited by villaglint

Feeling down is a sign you mind is healthy

It's an interesting point, and from my understanding, in Japan, depression or melancholy is not considered a disorder, so to speak, but something to be embraced, as a natural aspect of what forms our personalities. 

And that all sounds nice, but then you look at Gary Speed...

But I do think clinical depression is viewed differently across cultures, and I'm wondering if your statement is reflective of a common perception of it in Norway?

I wonder if cultures that place a higher premium on individuality and status/achievement experience more problems in this area.

the nations favourite beatles number 1

horrible list, wish these kind of lists would try and say something rather than just be populist bullshit, yesterday at number 2? ridiculous, didnt even get to number 1 for a start, no comments about the songs release and how it was released in the US first

and of course there just so happens to be a reissuing of the number 1 album to coincide with the program

• Like 3

the nations favourite beatles number 1

horrible list, wish these kind of lists would try and say something rather than just be populist bullshit, yesterday at number 2? ridiculous, didnt even get to number 1 for a start, no comments about the songs release and how it was released in the US first

and of course there just so happens to be a reissuing of the number 1 album to coincide with the program

This is why the general public shouldn't be able to vote on anything. As a rule, they're all ******* idiots. 

• Like 3

Hey Jude at number 1 then I take it? How boringly predictable. I hardly ever watch itv, and generally avoid any show that has the words "nation" or "favourite" in the title. It isn't surprising that people like Bohemian Rhapsody and Dancing Queen or whatever else itv asks the general public to vote for.

Yesterday and hey jude occupying the top spots, blimey John wouldn't be happy with that. Most of the best ones weren't singles anyway.

As SL said above the best Beatles songs weren't even released as singles 

im a big fan but Hey Jude wouldn't even make my top 30 ... Heck it wasn't even the best song on the single ( Revolution on the B side was better )

• Like 1

Â