Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

A lot of people are saying ' You call posting a selfie, helping cancer, I'll show you how it's done!'. And then they're posting picture of a donation they made. So it's got people donating in that way.

These no make up selfies for raising cancer awareness. I just googled 'cancer' its a pretty nasty illness isn't it, I'm gald it was brought to my attention by this collection dick heads.

Yeah I'm not sure raising awareness of cancer is going to help anyone!

If they were donating money to Cancer Research instead of posing selfies then maybe someone would benefit. It's not like people have never heard of Cancer and this is bringing it to their attention

Lots of girls on my Facebook are doing just that. They post the selfies alongside a screenshot of their donation.

Good on them I say!

• Like 1

These no make up selfies for raising cancer awareness. I just googled 'cancer' its a pretty nasty illness isn't it, I'm gald it was brought to my attention by this collection dick heads.

Yeah I'm not sure raising awareness of cancer is going to help anyone!

If they were donating money to Cancer Research instead of posing selfies then maybe someone would benefit. It's not like people have never heard of Cancer and this is bringing it to their attention

Lots of girls on my Facebook are doing just that. They post the selfies alongside a screenshot of their donation.

Good on them I say!

That's great to see them donating.

But that kind of makes the selfies irrelevant.

I think the original idea was to donate three pounds and post a photo of yourself without make-up. The idea I'd imagine was that the photo's would spread the word, which it seems they have done to a certain extent.

Fair enough.

So it's to raise money. That's absolutely fine and so I totally back it.

it was originally described as pictures (no donation) to raise awareness. Which is nonsense, imo.

Fair enough.

So it's to raise money. That's absolutely fine and so I totally back it.

it was originally described as pictures (no donation) to raise awareness. Which is nonsense, imo.

Yes, the vast majority seem to be a selfie followed by suggesting some of their friends do the same... no mention of donation.

My gammy ankle is doing my head in at the moment. I've not been able to play cricket for years because of it, and as the season is getting nearer, I'd love nothing more than to join a team and go along to nets. Aside from that, it's the whole unpredictability of when it will start playing up. I'm sure I could play for half a season or more without any problems, and then all of a sudden it'll go, and that'll be me done for a month or longer.

Women can't win with you lot, can they? You complain when they're all fluffy and girly, then you expect them to be constantly prettified. 

Although I agree that charity donation should be uncoupled from 'sponsored' activities (run a marathon because you want to, give to a charity without expecting someone to run a marathon), I have no problem with the FB campaign - it's like the chart music debate upthread: doesn't affect my life one way or the other, it's just the gals social networking. 

And I like women without the paint just as much as with (more so in some cases). 

Leave 'em alone. 

Off topic is the ultimate hot bed of misanthropic, cynicism.  You know this, don't let yourself be taken in by the ghey side.   :P

Women can't win with you lot, can they? You complain when they're all fluffy and girly, then you expect them to be constantly prettified. 

Although I agree that charity donation should be uncoupled from 'sponsored' activities (run a marathon because you want to, give to a charity without expecting someone to run a marathon), I have no problem with the FB campaign - it's like the chart music debate upthread: doesn't affect my life one way or the other, it's just the gals social networking. 

And I like women without the paint just as much as with (more so in some cases). 

Leave 'em alone. 

it's just not the same when you're home all day and the missus can see what you're writing

get yourself down the shed and write something rude and vaguely aggressive

• Like 4

Raising awareness raises money by proxy. I'd have thought that was fairly obvious?

Of course we're all *aware* cancer exists. But a little kick up the arse once in a while to get us all talking about it and perhaps thinking "I've not donated in a while" is a bad thing how?

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

Raising awareness raises money by proxy. I'd have thought that was fairly obvious?

But Cancer isn't some sort of niche disease that's suddenly coming to everyone's attention.

it's **** cancer. Does it need awareness raising?

Don't get me wrong, as a lot of VTers probably know both my parent's have had cancer over the past 2 years (my Dad still does, and will always have it), so I'm all for doing things to battle it.

I just don't see how posting a selfie of yourself "raises awareness". If they're donating or encouraging to donate then good for them.

One's popped up on my FB now (the first one I've seen) and it appears to be nothing more than a neknomination style activity. A girl has posted a make up less selfie and nominated her mates to do it. A brief mention that it's supporting "cancer awareness".

I don't really see how it helps, that's all.

One's popped up on my FB now (the first one I've seen) and it appears to be nothing more than a neknomination style activity. A girl has posted a make up less selfie and nominated her mates to do it. A brief mention that it's supporting "cancer awareness".

I don't really see how it helps, that's all.

Pretty much. If you want to support cancer awareness, make a donation. Don't post a selfie on Facebook.

Â