Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

A reboot/remake of Jaws.

I know it shouldn't piss me off because so may classics have already been spoilt, but come on! it's Jaws ffs.

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-

Oqd2J.gif

Foreigners (i.e. non-Dutchies) of shall we say the pedantic persuasion have more of a problem with the 'mis-use' of the word Holland than Dutch people do from my experience. Most if not all of the Dutch people I've met say Holland when they mean Netherlands.

It's like calling Ireland by the name Mayo. Or England by the name East Anglia.

However, I can understand the reluctance to call it the Netherlands, as that also includes islands in the Caribbean.

Foreigners (i.e. non-Dutchies) of shall we say the pedantic persuasion have more of a problem with the 'mis-use' of the word Holland than Dutch people do from my experience. Most if not all of the Dutch people I've met say Holland when they mean Netherlands.

However, I can understand the reluctance to call it the Netherlands, as that also includes islands in the Caribbean.

I know what it should be like but they use it themselves, widespread. If they have no problem with doing it then I shouldn't either. FWIW I do say Netherlands because I'm an aforementioned pedant BUT I've no problem with other people saying Holland. If Clarence Seedorf amongst others explicitly says it's OK then that's good enough for me :)

The Germans confiscated all bicycles during the occupation

Can they do it again please.  Amsterdam is a death trap.

No, you're thinking of Sarlacc.

• Like 1

the number of times I nearly got mown down there .... 

Accidentally accepting a transfer to Arsenal on New Star Soccer.

I'd just finished my tour of Europe's big clubs, winning everything in my path and getting an absurd scoring record.

Finally settled back in England and signed for Villa to see out the rest of my career (another 10 years at least!). 

Then halfway through the season (top of the league, obviously) Arsenal come in for me and I accidentally accepted!

Lost all motivation to play now :(

• Like 2

Haven't you noticed? They're currently in the process of taking over Europe again. They're going about it waaaay more subtly this time though :)
  • Like 3

I quite like the idea of being ruled by (modern day) Germans.

you obviously haven't watched the max mosely video, it seems being ruled by Germans means being dressed up like a girl and having a chair leg stuck up your arse.

• Like 3

I quite like the idea of being ruled by (modern day) Germans.

you obviously haven't watched the max mosely video, it seems being ruled by Germans means being dressed up like a girl and having a chair leg stuck up your arse.

He has seen it.

• Like 2

Well, this is straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.holland.com/uk/tourism/holland-information/about-holland/netherlands-vs-holland-1.htm

"

Holland? Or the Netherlands? And what’s the difference between the two? The Netherlands is often referred to as Holland. Nevertheless, the official name of the country is the (Kingdom of the) Netherlands. The Netherlands consists out of twelve provinces. Two of them, North and South Holland, are the two provinces that together make Holland. Due to the maritime and economic power of these provinces in the 17th century, the Netherlands became known worldwide as Holland. To make matters even more confusing the inhabitants of the Netherlands are called Dutch.

Holland

Internationally, ‘Holland’ is often used to indicate the Netherlands. Holland is also the brand that is used to promote business and leisure trips to the Netherlands. We have chosen Holland as brand name because Holland is internationally well-known, popular and an accessible name for our country. Furthermore Holland stands for all our country’s positive elements, the elements that attract foreign leisure and business travellers. Holland also sounds more hospitable than the rather official ‘the Netherlands’."

I imagine that's written by somebody FROM Holland rather than one of the other prvinces, but whatever.  I'd say it's more akin to calling the United Kingdom 'Great Britain'.

• Like 1

Â