Greatest English Film Ever

maqroll

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I think my favorite Uk movie would have to be The Red Shoes, I especially love the ballet sequence.

Black Narcissus also by Powell and Pressburger is another really good one.

The Third Man
Get Carter
A Clockwork Orange
The Wickerman
Life Of Brian

Probably in that order too.

(I have not seen Dead Man's Shoes. I'll put that right at the earliest judging by the posters recommending it here)

• Like 2

In addition to things like “The Third Man”, “Zulu”, the python films that have already been regularly mentioned, off the top of my head, I’d suggest -

The Lavender Hill Mob

Brief Encounter 

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

Peeping Tom

Dr Strangelove

The Man Who Would Be King

Chariots of Fire

Pierrepoint

Sexy Beast

In Bruges 

The Damned United

45 Years

Oh and “Frenzy”, Hitchcock’s final film in England is rather good. I believe it’s regarded as his last hurrah.

Not watched “Dead Man’s Shoes”, will give it a go when I get chance. I always find it interesting what the criteria is when deciding a nationality of a film, director, source material, where it’s filmed, production company, principal cast etc.

• Like 3

On 30/06/2013 at 16:17, mjmooney said:

Zulu presses the Welsh button a bit too much. The West Midlands was part of the recruiting area for the 24th Foot, and there were several Brummies among those VCs. 

Good film, though. 

The 24th foot were actually part of the Warwickshire regiment. After the Zulu wars they moved their headquarters to the Brecon area and were transferred to the South Wales Borderer Regiment. If you visit the Warwickshire’s museum in Warwick, you will see quite a collection of Asegai spears and other artefacts. Stanley Baker helped propagate the myth of Rorkes Drift being a Welsh battle when he co produced the film Zulu. There were Welsh men there because the Warwickshire’s recruited from Wales, but most of the Regiment were English. Good film though. My own best would be The Cruel Sea.

Edited by meregreen
  • Thanks 1

I was going to say In Bruges but realised it wasn't British.

So Love Actually. I don't watch many films and I am a sucker for the films of Richard Curtis. This one I go back to a lot. If not this the Slade in Flame. 

• Sad 1

A lot of love for the afore mentioned The Wickerman, a film I have probably watched a hundred times and could still watch again with just as much pleasure.

Honourable mention for this hottie too

8717968198_106c5b68d4_b.jpg

for producing one of the most iconic/memorable scenes in British cinema history. Also a great film. 

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

It's right up your street too. 

I bet it is. Everything about it I should like. I really don't know why I haven't watched it yet :D 

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I bet it is. Everything about it I should like. I really don't know why I haven't watched it yet :D 

It has my favourite scene in a movie ever and Paddy Considines performance is something to behold. Every look, every movement, every word is perfection. 

In fact apart from David Thewlis in Naked I think it's also my favourite performance in a British movie. Basically it's brilliant.

Edited by Designer1
Spelt Thewlis wrong.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I was going to say In Bruges but realised it wasn't British.

Written and directed by a Londoner.

Co produced by Film 4.

Co produced by Blue Print Productions (founded in London).

Ralph Fiennes being very sweary.

If “The Third Man” is considered English/British (and it generally is despite being set in Vienna, having three of the four principle cast being American and Italian and also famously co produced by American David O. Selznick) then I don’t see how “In Bruges” can’t be considered English/British.

• Like 2

Just rereading this thread, all the usual suspect films crop up, but then I keep seeing votes for this Dead Man's Shoes. I've genuinely never even heard of it. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Written and directed by a Londoner.

Co produced by Film 4.

Co produced by Blue Print Productions (founded in London).

Ralph Fiennes being very sweary.

If “The Third Man” is considered English/British (and it generally is despite being set in Vienna, having three of the four principle cast being American and Italian and also famously co produced by American David O. Selznick) then I don’t see how “In Bruges” can’t be considered English/British.

I really thought Mcdonagh was Irish. Love all of his work but In Bruges is the pinnacle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I really thought Mcdonagh was Irish. Love all of his work but In Bruges is the pinnacle. 

Irish parents to be fair, but from what I understand if you hear him speak he sounds like he’s an extra in “Lock Stock...”.

“In Bruges” obviously has a strong Irish feel to it, so if people wanted to call it Irish, I wouldn’t dismiss the suggestion.

I've mentioned this one earlier in the thread, but if anyone hasn't seen it it's absolutely worth checking out for David Thewlis. His performance as the nihilistic, intellectual conspiracy theorist Johnny is incredible.

A very worthy addition to this thread.

YQZ7RpGqF3uncaRrdKPcrnU0K6LDKE_large.thumb.jpg.723a183a47aa9ca1d89a7ce7bfe56436.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Â