Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

how far away from returning is barnes?

their bigger problem will be depth, almiron has started 18 of their 21 PL games and came off the bench in their other 3

as i look at their team right now it says to me that if they sell him and don't buy a direct replacement they'll be playing Matt Ritchie, even if they do buy a direct replacement they still have other needs in other positions like CM, they're going to end up needing more players than they can afford 

• Like 1

Joelinton saying no ta to a new contract apparantly, Trippier and Almiron being linked to possibly depart. Either they're playing by the FFP rules (fair dos) or perhaps they're clearing the decks for a new manager in the summer - all quite unsettled really. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Joelinton saying no ta to a new contract apparantly, Trippier and Almiron being linked to possibly depart. Either they're playing by the FFP rules (fair dos) or perhaps they're clearing the decks for a new manager in the summer - all quite unsettled really. 

If they get fees for the players (assumed), then it may well be both.

Almiron and Joelinton joined Newcastle a fair time ago for £21m and £40m respectively.  If we assume 5 year contract for both of them and this summer is 4 years after they joined, then the books have already taken the majority hit of their fees.  Let's say they have a further £4.2m and £8m to account for, but sell the players for £20m and £30m each; that's a booked £37.8m profit for FFP.

Given the 5-year limit etc, those two players alone (at these very hypothetical values) would enable a new manager - or, indeed, Howe - to spend a further £189m in the summer.

Edit:  Obviously very basic and assumes everything else checks out at £0 impact on P&L.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If they get fees for the players (assumed), then it may well be both.

Almiron and Joelinton joined Newcastle a fair time ago for £21m and £40m respectively.  If we assume 5 year contract for both of them and this summer is 4 years after they joined, then the books have already taken the majority hit of their fees.  Let's say they have a further £4.2m and £8m to account for, but sell the players for £20m and £30m each; that's a booked £37.8m profit for FFP.

Given the 5-year limit etc, those two players alone (at these very hypothetical values) would enable a new manager - or, indeed, Howe - to spend a further £189m in the summer.

Edit:  Obviously very basic and assumes everything else checks out at £0 impact on P&L.

Seems pretty sensible to get these players off the books this year, even if it means they have a rubbish second half of the season really. They aren't qualifying for CL this season anyway, might as well splurge in the summer and have a proper run at it again next season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Convenient. Although he’s one of their better players. Be interesting to see the amount he goes for. 

Just the other week Nice Guy Eddie said they had no friends in the market to help them out. He must have simply forgotten that their owners also ran the Saudi Pro League and could do them a favour to get Newcastle out of a tight spot...
A cynic might suggest that the PR campaign of 'these pesky financial rules are stopping us spending money' coming out of Newcastle the last few weeks was laying the groundwork to make this kind of move appear to be their only viable option...
Also, I'm sure Almiron is really keen to go to the SPL when a lot of players who signed in the summer are already trying to get the hell out of there!

It's simply a great time in the season to play them.

Will probably have to sell 2-3 linked over the weekend and replacements probably won't be signed until deadline day night so we'll be facing a very weak first 11 and bench.

Almiron's actually been there six years, Benitez signed him in late 2018. He's like Joelinthon in that he really struggled at first and then had that purple patch of form when Howe came in.

He's also 30 in two weeks so really fits the profile of the Newcastle CEO saying players who can do a job for a year or two and then you have to move them on and reinvest in youth.

To me the players they can't afford to lose are guys like Botman and Isak. If they want to be challenging for 4th/5th next season they are simply must keeps. Pope will be back aswell next season.

It's interesting to see if they'll be back up challenging again in 12 months. I suspect not and that's when they'll change the manager.

Something’s up with Trippier I think, no idea what it is but a while back I think Southgate alluded to him not being in the best place mentally and then Howe said something similar and about how he’s ‘pushing through’ (paraphrased) some off-field stuff, this has all coincided with his form nose-diving and now him potentially leaving the country 🧐

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Something’s up with Trippier I think, no idea what it is but a while back I think Southgate alluded to him not being in the best place mentally and then Howe said something similar and about how he’s ‘pushing through’ (paraphrased) some off-field stuff, this has all coincided with his form nose-diving and now him potentially leaving the country 🧐

Rumour was an affair, wasn’t it?

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

He was caught playing away👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robbie09 said:

He was caught playing away👍

Interesting. His OH is still playing happy families on Insta although of course what you see on there can be a long way from reality.

Thought Trippier might've had a betting relapse or something.

36 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Interesting. His OH is still playing happy families on Insta although of course what you see on there can be a long way from reality.

Thought Trippier might've had a betting relapse or something.

pretty sure he didnt have a betting problem, he just told mates he was moving

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Incredible he stayed that long, played about 5 games since 2022

Yeah I don't think people fully grasp just what their squad is, there's a few of Bruce's relegation candidates kicking around still 

Â