Christian Benteke

Kwan

I really don't understand the stick he has got.

We buy young, cheap players with something to prove and we pay them accordingly. Should we really be surprised that when they do prove themselves and other clubs come sniffing and can offer better prospects of success and far more money the players head is turned?

He isn't one of us and he didn't grow up loving Aston Villa. The truth is that just about every single one of us in his position would have their head turned. Personally, I'm disappointed in him for not giving us more than a year, sure I am, I think he should have given us more than that but ultimately I don't really blame him for wanting to make the most of his career, it is how we got him in the first place after all.

So far, he hasn't really done a lot wrong. He has formally requested a transfer and then pretty much kept his mouth shut and his head down, no bitching in the press. That could change obviously but I will judge him on that when and if it happens not before.

He has conducted himself as a professional even if we don't like what he has done. Compare that to the conduct of the two faced arse Downing who said he owed us (and did) and then was caught posing in a bar with a Liverpool scarf. Or compare it to the horrific attitude of Gareth Barry when we dared to want his market value from Liverpool, do people remember that newspaper interview he gave? Yet recently a lot of people were saying they would like to have him back. Milner, well he as with everything the lad does was the true professional.

Benteke is far from being as bad (so far) as Downing and Barry and although I'm disappointed in the outcome and in him I don't actually think he deserves the stick he is getting presently and put it down to just being a manifestation of same feelings in other people. We all know Benteke is special and it will hurt to lose him especially so quickly and after so many others in recent years.

The club wants to sign young, hungry players rather than misfits like Ireland and N'Zogbia so unfortunately it is going to bite us on the arse at times when we really get it right because those players are young and hungry.

Still I'd rather have people like Benteke for a year than Heskey for 4.

If he goes, he goes. We will move on and in Lambert I'm convinced (so long as he is backed) upwards.

So if we get the price we want he can go, if we don't he can stay. If the later happens and he starts playing up, then he will deserve stick but he doesn't particularly so far in my view.

I agree with this Trent. If he starts playing up from now that'll be another issue but if, as I suspect, he comes back to training tomorrow and gets on with it I don't think he's done an awful lot wrong. Perhaps he's been slightly disrespectful by putting in a transfer request without a bid having been made, but I'll forgive him if he stays, and I hope he does.  

I think we were kidding ourselves that he ever really cared about the club.  His goal celebrations seemed rather unenthusiastic and self congratulatory.  He never came out and said nice things about us as a club either.

I got the exact same feeling

His goal celebrations did not seem unenthusiastic at all, I believe many of you are annoyed at Benteke putting in a transfer request, and as a result you are now all of a sudden seeing things that are just not there. If he had not put in the transfer request, would you still be thinking his celebrations were unenthusiastic?

Yep.  I used to specifically look out for them at the time.

I didn't specifically look out for them. But I remember him scoring against Reading at home, and how pumped up he was. He usually he just put two fingers up and looked up to the sky, as if saluting God or something.

I hope the club re-iterate to his agent the fee they want and the deadline for any deal to be done or its all off. Then at least he and any suitors will know the situation.

I don't get this at all. If we are telling an agent a fee we want, are we not effectively giving him licence to conduct illegal negotiations with other clubs for our player?

It isn't for Kismass to negotiate anything other than his client's contractual terms etc with a buyer. Fee setting and any associated negotiations should only be between AVFC and the potential buyer.

This isn't specifically in response to your post, I should clarify. It's just part of what you've said reminded me of the fact I've seen reference the agent being told about fees a few times recently and it makes no sense to me. I wouldn't tell an agent anything I didn't have to. I'm sure he'd get it from the buyer but wouldn't get it from me.

I hope the club re-iterate to his agent the fee they want and the deadline for any deal to be done or its all off. Then at least he and any suitors will know the situation.

I don't get this at all. If we are telling an agent a fee we want, are we not effectively giving him licence to conduct illegal negotiations with other clubs for our player?

It isn't for Kismass to negotiate anything other than his client's contractual terms etc with a buyer. Fee setting and any associated negotiations should only be between AVFC and the potential buyer.

This isn't specifically in response to your post, I should clarify. It's just part of what you've said reminded me of the fact I've seen reference the agent being told about fees a few times recently and it makes no sense to me. I wouldn't tell an agent anything I didn't have to. I'm sure he'd get it from the buyer but wouldn't get it from me.

You may be right but if the club have set the price at which they will sell and not a penny less you could well imagine the club saying to him "your player stops here unless we get that fee" which could be why Levy has spent so much time drip feeding the media the offers way below our evaluation and with exchange players being thrown in.

I think in the interests of diplomacy and keeping themselves right should the issue go to the FA for arbitration or whatever, the club will inform Benteke's agent of their terms in accepting his transfer request. Benteke might have no choice but to accept our terms and if Spurs don't come up with the cash or don't bid within our timeframe we can tell them to do one - and prepare for the season with CB on board.

I don't think there's any chance he'll not turn up tomorrow.

There's nothing for him to protest against. We've said he can go if we get the right money. It's not our fault the team interested don't want to pay the amount we've asked for.

No substantiation on price, bids or interested parties apart from media speculation and Spurs supporters on the wind up.

Everyone should sit back and have faith that both the manager and board will do what's right for AVFC.

I think we were kidding ourselves that he ever really cared about the club.  His goal celebrations seemed rather unenthusiastic and self congratulatory.  He never came out and said nice things about us as a club either.

Funnily I always watched his celebrations and thought the same thing. However I put it down to either me being paranoid and reading into things too much.

Funnily I always watched his celebrations and thought the same thing. However I put it down to either me being paranoid and reading into things too much.

I'm gonna watch that youtube montage on all 23 of Benteke's goals this season and analyse. I will then come back and comment on here.

No player is bigger than a club. I don't want him there if he wants out.

I quite fancy the offer from Chelsea. 22m plus Ba. I'd take that all day.

Lets face it. I would have looked good in that villa team last season and would have popped a few goals in. Lets see what he is actually like in a Chelsea squad or a spurs squad. Maybe he is a one season wonder.... Lets hope so.

Lets face it. I would have looked good in that villa team last season and would have popped a few goals in. Lets see what he is actually like in a Chelsea squad or a spurs squad. Maybe he is a one season wonder.... Lets hope so.

You wouldn't.

Is the Chelsea offer a firm and official one?

Is the Chelsea offer a firm and official one?

Not sure where I seen it mate or how true it is... But apparently benteke said he didn't want to go as he wants first team football.

You wouldn't.

Probably not but read between the lines. Any half decent player would look good in our squad last season.

Â