Christian Benteke

Kwan

The only thing though Richard is he has not said anything, the only comment he has said is that he will only move if it suits both him and the club, at no time has he said he would refuse to stay and make waves, infact he said the opposite, yes I believe he has been tapped up, he asked permission to leave with the transfer request, the rest is out of his hands, who is to say that if the valuation is not met then he will not be happy to stay and work hard, I find it hard to believe that both CB and his agent do not know what price the club want for him and the date by which it has to be met. in which case if it is not met then I will not be surprised if he withdraws the request with a proviso from the club that he can leave next year if the valuation is met.

you can all say you want him out but deep down there you want him to stay...

No. Start a bidding war and sell him to the highest bidder (hopefully to a club that will bench him). I don't care if you're Messi, you treat a club like that, you go, or rot in the reserves.

I still do not understand how he has treated the club bad, if anything he has been professional, yes we feel he has let the fans down as we idolise him and all hoped to see him with the additions kick on this season, To be honest I think especially with the comments from the club that the problem is the agent, there has been obvious tapping up but the agent is just shite and has handled it badly, he has given CB bad advice and as a young not the brightest spark type of lad CB has taken it as gospel, It would not surprise me at all to see the club playing a game to teach the agent a lesson knowing full well Spuds can not meet the valuation, There is just something strange going on where the club is just too quiet and are keeping stum, almost like they are playing a waiting game. No matter what we think of the owner he is a savvy business man and knows how to deal with situations alot better than we do.

If he does stay I won't be behind him. We all know he'll be off the following summer anyway.

Like the post above said, I'll cheer his goals but it won't be like last season.

That could relate to any player though. How do we all know that some of the other's aren't planning on finding a way out? I am not happy that our best player wants to leave but it isn't a surprise is it? How many of us have watched this lad all last season thinking "he's too good for where we are"?

If he goes it bothers me because he's that good. It will be easier to take if we get at least £25m and will be even easier if he moved abroad. But, if he stays, I have no problem with him just as long as he gives his all for us and doesn't sulk, like others have in the past.

i'll be totally honest I'm desperate for him to stay with us, to get his head down stay one more season and help us develop on the pitch some more. The lad is a world class player, been ages since we had one of them in fact I'd argue we never have before. He oozes class on the field, not so much off it, but in terms of his ability he is top notch.

But the thing is, and don't get me wrong Belgian guy I think you are a decent poster and I'm glad you are on this site so please don't take this he wrong way, I am a fan of this club and I think you have to be a fan of this club totally bought into the club and what's best for the club to have the opinion that if he wants to go then its best he does, my loyalties are to the club not benteke.

You see if he wants to stay and be committed to the club for the next season then that's what I want more than anything but it doesn't look that way, he has had his head turned (helped by a word removed of an agent), he wants to go to another club , spurts FFs, and he has made it clear. I only want those committed to the club. Benteke isnt

yea ur right but its difficult for me im like between two fires :s

Do any of you think this could all be staged managed and that a deal for around £25 million has been agreed for a while?

What could be the possible reason for doing this...?

Levy has a history of doing this. He definitely did it when we sold Robbie Keane to Liverpool. He managed to use the press to change the focus away from the fact we were yet again selling one of our prize assets, to the fight he was in with Liverpool. Our fans backed him, yet remarkably we sold Keane for the exact amount mentioned in the NOTW the day the story first broke. It was almost as if the deal had already been struck.

If this time last week it was announced, out of the blue, that Benteke had been sold to Spurs for £25 million, wouldn't most on here gone mental? Lerner et al would have been crucified. But the way this story is evolving is making such a deal far more palatable.  

Why did Villa announce he'd made a transfer request? Often we later learn that players make these requests, but they get instantly turned down, so at the time we don't know about them. For example, the window before he joined you, Bent wanted to go to Turkey, but Sunderland refused and no one knew. I don't see the benefit of telling the world a player has asked to leave when he still has 3 years left on his contract. 

Why accept the request, especially given he has 3 years left on his deal? Man Utd have been very clear that Rooney isn't for sale and he's only got 2 years left. If you really want to keep him, then just say no. Surely the only reason can be that there is a price you'd actually be happy to sell at.  With that in mind, why do  Midlands based journalists continually talking about a £25 million fee? £25 million seems low for setting a price. If you want £25 million it would be normal to quote £30-35 million. Nothing has been said by the club itself about the actual price, but it's journalists that report on Villa and are based in Birmingham that are saying it. They aren't going to want to low ball Villa, as their livelihoods depend on good relations with the biggest club in the region. If you were trying to sell a player for £25 million, wouldn't you get your allies in the press to talk much higher numbers?  Wouldn't the likes of Moxley and John Percy be suggesting figures of £30-£40 million? It seems really odd.

Why would Benteke's agent seemingly be so dismissive of other viable options? I've never heard of an agent ruling out big clubs the way he has. Chelsea don't even have a decent striker at the moment bar Lukaku. It seems odd to rule them out stating worries about playing time given their strikers last season were Demba Ba and Torres. I'd imagine any £25 million striker going there would expect plenty of playing time given his competition. Can any of you remember an agent saying things like that before?

If you got £25 million now, I bet most of your fans would be a lot less disappointed than they would have last week. It all seems very similar to when we sold Robbie Keane and Levy used to the media to take the focus away from the fact we were yet again selling one of our star players and onto the deal itself. Doesn't it seem to you as if the focus has now shifted onto whether Lerner can hold firm and get his £25 million?  It's almost as if it's now becoming more about whether can stand firm and get the £25 million, rather than the fact another star player is being sold. I just don't get why Villa didn't flat our refuse to sell and now journalists with links to Villa and quoting £25 million. It's almost as if it's being managed so the deal is seen as a triumph. I would never had thought Levy would or could pay so much, but now I wouldn't be surprised if a deal for around £25 million was announced in the next couple of weeks. 

You wont be getting him for £25M iam pretty sure of it...in fact i dont think you will be getting him at all.

Get rid of ASAP take the money and have faith the club will uncover a new striker that will make us forget the mouse-eared, mike Tyson faced ungrateful berk.

As a team we over relied on one player, we need to better than that.

Fixed

Its ironic that immediately prior to the Sunderland game,many on here were saying people were deluded for thinking Benteke would fetch anywhere near £20million.

He was virtually non-existant in the final run in,save that 2nd half performance against Sunderland.I wonder if some kind of tapping up had gone on during that last part of the season,hence affecting his performances.

Its a very tough one & there is no right or wrong answer.I don't believe we will replace him like for like if he leaves but by the same token,will his heart still be with us if he stays?

For me the most frustrating aspect (bizzarely) is the team that are in for him.-If it was a top 4 side I'd have no issues as we're light years away but I honestly believe that 2 years from now,there won't be anything between us & Spurs.If you take the top 4 out of the equasion,the rest of the league is healthy,with teams fluctuating up & down the table regularly,just like it used to be when teams like Forest,Derby & ourselves all won the league.For me,it confirms that Bentekes decision to hand in a transfer request is driven soley by money.

My view is simple, if he stays it is great, he is a good player.

If he goes, for 25m (seller puts the value Joey you tit) then I am also happy as I think Lambert could do a lot with that.

Win, win. I back the club over their stance.

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"?We have the best of a bad situation, yes.

Well, OK. But the best of bad situation is hardly the same as being in a "fantastic position". The latter would be where Benteke had signed a new contract and declared great enthusiasm for the coming season at Villa.

As it stands, it's unlikely that such an unhappy player is going to perform as well as last season and, even worse, could well cause serious ructions and spread demoralisation across your squad. Your club decision makers will have to decide whether the risks involved are worth turning down a transfer profit of £11m (my guess), being able to reinvest £19m in the squad and move on with a united set of players.

I'm not saying that Benteke's sale to Spurs will happen, but I am saying that the choices are more limited and more difficult than the vast majority of posts in this thread would indicate.

Spurs have lost several really good players in recent seasons - it's the way of the world. But we've mostly emerged with a stronger squad, because the sale proceeds have been spent mostly wisely. Villa can do the same.

Is it just me that finds his posts incredibly patronising.

Every spurs fan I know is a patronising word removed.

Every Arsenal fan I known is a genuine guy, speaks highly of Villa and has a great knowledge of football.

Butterfingers....Do you remember his first half performance against Chelsea? One of the best displays I've seen from a villa striker until he was sent off (wrongly) he was immense that day and Chelsea couldn't handle him. That was the day I thought we had a special player on our hands.

Disappointed he wants to go to Spurs. Thought he'd move for CL football at least.

Edited by benireduk

I honestly couldn't care if he stays or goes. We aren't going to get relegated, we aren't going to win anything. Makes no difference to me.

If he stays I'd want to see not start a game for a while so he learns that his World Cup dream could be over because of his foolishness. If he goes then if it's for any less than £30m then I'll feel as though we've been mugged twice... once by Benteke and again by the buying team.

• Like 1

Having your best player handing in a transfer request is a "fantastic position"?We have the best of a bad situation, yes.

Well, OK. But the best of bad situation is hardly the same as being in a "fantastic position". The latter would be where Benteke had signed a new contract and declared great enthusiasm for the coming season at Villa.

As it stands, it's unlikely that such an unhappy player is going to perform as well as last season and, even worse, could well cause serious ructions and spread demoralisation across your squad. Your club decision makers will have to decide whether the risks involved are worth turning down a transfer profit of £11m (my guess), being able to reinvest £19m in the squad and move on with a united set of players.

I'm not saying that Benteke's sale to Spurs will happen, but I am saying that the choices are more limited and more difficult than the vast majority of posts in this thread would indicate.

Spurs have lost several really good players in recent seasons - it's the way of the world. But we've mostly emerged with a stronger squad, because the sale proceeds have been spent mostly wisely. Villa can do the same.

Is it just me that finds his posts incredibly patronising.

Nope, to me he comes off rather obnoxious. However people are being very touchy about Beneteke :D

Well apparently according to the Mail and Telegraph, Spurs are going to bid £20million next week.

I expect the club to firmly reject this as it is not enough for a player of his calibre, we don't have to sell, and it does not reflect the fact that with three years on the great disloyal bastard's contract we can pretty much dictate the terms of this deal.

The next move will be up to that fat turkish pimp of an agent. Does he instruct Benteke to go on strike? I hope the club are preparing the fines as we speak, as this is already looking like it is going to get ugly.

• Like 1

Whatever happens I believe our club are 1 step ahead, they have obviously discussed this till the cows came home and have planned for specific reactions, still would not suprise me if there is a CL club sitting in the background laughing at Spuds, when the Villa say no deal they will offer the said amount and CB will go willingly, could be its Chelsea which is why the agent is coming out with weird comments about them,

This way the agent gets taught a lesson and Spuds also get shown short shrift for their tapping up.

Edited by VillakevBromsgrove

Rumours abound that Spuds are going to test Lerner's resolve of asking  25M  for Benteke by coming in with an offer at 20M.

I would love to be in Randy Lerner's  shoes on this one. Spurs transfer  dealings  are almost as detestable as Benitez and Parry's! He happily stood by  his valuation of Gareth Barry where Benitez and Parry offered 15M   for Barry and  did not meet the 18M  asking price and rejected  them outright.

Why  would Spuds  waste  their time and ours  by not  stumping up the 25M? If it were me every time the chiselers offered   something below my asking price I would  add an additional premium on top next time they called equal  to  the amount of the  shortfall. So if they offered  5M   too low,  next  time  they  come in the price   would be  30M and so on.

Someone this summer  will pay  the  25M  or more. Call me crazy  or whatever but  in this market and the current Premier League, Benteke is  worth  every penny    that Tottenham, Chelsea  or any other club   will offer  over  25M !

Spuds!!   Please  stop wasting  Lerner's and Faulkner's time and  making yourselves look  cheap. Pay the Piper! On this one  Randy is definitely calling the tune and bless  him  for it.  Kudos  Randy  Lerner! 

I doubt Spurs could actually afford him, so it'll will inevitably mean a cash + player(s) deal. I doubt we'll be too interested in Spurs' reserves since their wages would be above what we'd be willing to play.

DP that's a very good point and my worry is if Spurs are interested they might subsidize any makeweight's wages to push the deal through.

Â