Christian Benteke

Kwan

If we were to sell Benteke this summer, selling him to Chelsea for 30m and Lukaku coming the other way for a season on loan, wouldn't be a bad idea...?!

Better than 15m to Liverpool...lol

We wouldn't sell for £15m to Liverpool. ;)

Off topic...

AVFCforever, please go back to your previous avatar... I could sit and watch that for twenty minutes...

• Like 1

If we were to sell Benteke this summer, selling him to Chelsea for 30m and Lukaku coming the other way for a season on loan, wouldn't be a bad idea...?!

Better than 15m to Liverpool...lol

We wouldn't sell for £15m to Liverpool. ;)

Off topic...

AVFCforever, please go back to your previous avatar... I could sit and watch that for twenty minutes...

Heh, done.. Yeah I wasn't feeling the other one either tbh...

Hopefully the £45-50m price tag should scare any potential buyers and we keep Benteke for another year! 

• Like 1

Do you think Christian would be happy with the quotes attributed to Lambert that he effectively has a man's body with a child's brain?

I'd imagine they have spoken on the phone since all the press stuff happened. 

He said although people see a mans frame, he is still a boy.

Basically meaning even though he is a beast, he's still a young lad with stuff to learn about the game and life itself.

No point trying to make Lambert seem like something he isn't !

Do you think Christian would be happy with the quotes attributed to Lambert that he effectively has a man's body with a child's brain?

Where was this??

He didn't effectively say that Ponky. At no point did he mention 'child'.

He basically said that people need to remember that though he has matured physically, he, like other players at Villa, haven't yet matured mentally.

"He’s a 22-year-old with a man’s physique, but without yet having developed a man’s brain."

I'd be pissed off if that was said about me.

• Like 1

"He’s a 22-year-old with a man’s physique, but without yet having developed a man’s brain."

I'd be pissed off if that was said about me.

Yeah that's not exaggerated either I don't think... it's in all the paper's and headlines when you search Benteke.

You need to understand the context though, Neil Warnock said it won't help with agents constantly in his ear, he said Benteke is a great lad, really down to earth, however he is still only young. This is trying to stir up trouble as the press do not like us having a quality player.

well his full interview is on Talksport, have a listen and you will hear the full context. Just as Benteke has been misquoted, so has PL in this instance. The Birmingham Mail reads better.

http://tinyurl.com/lppukof

Paul Lambert has reminded Christian Benteke that he is better off staying at Villa to allow him to mature as a player.

Speculation continues to surround the future of Benteke, who is expected to be in action in Belgium’s World Cup qualifer against Serbia tonight. But Villa do not wish to sell the 22-year-old striker and have offered him a bumper extension to the three years remaining on his contract.

“Outside influences are sometimes dangerous for a footballer,” said Lambert.

“He’s a top lad and people forget he’s 22 years of age. He’s got a mature physique on him but the brain has not developed into a man and he’s still a young kid learning the game. He’s been great, as have a lot of the young lads, but they are developing into mature men and being footballers.

“Any player who moves the pressure is really high. Any player moving clubs is taking a gamble as you may not play as many games.”

Edited by SikhInTrinity

The headline is complete bollocks, I'm guessing none of you actually listened to the whole radio interview broadcast live. But it really didn't come across the way they're making out. I feel Lambert should not give talksport any more time, I know Ferguson wouldn't.

well his full interview is on Talksport, have a listen and you will hear the full context. Just as Benteke has been misquoted, so has PL in this instance. The Birmingham Mail reads better.

http://tinyurl.com/lppukof

Paul Lambert has reminded Christian Benteke that he is better off staying at Villa to allow him to mature as a player.

Speculation continues to surround the future of Benteke, who is expected to be in action in Belgium’s World Cup qualifer against Serbia tonight. But Villa do not wish to sell the 22-year-old striker and have offered him a bumper extension to the three years remaining on his contract.

“Outside influences are sometimes dangerous for a footballer,” said Lambert.

“He’s a top lad and people forget he’s 22 years of age. He’s got a mature physique on him but the brain has not developed into a man and he’s still a young kid learning the game. He’s been great, as have a lot of the young lads, but they are developing into mature men and being footballers.

“Any player who moves the pressure is really high. Any player moving clubs is taking a gamble as you may not play as many games.”

He's 22... If I'd had a season just like I did, then my manager started saying this (Bold highlighted) along with other Journo's claiming bs like 'he needs to grow up'. I'd be pretty pissed off aswell tbh.

Much as I'd love to blame them, I don't think Talkshite are at fault here. How the Express got from Lambert's coversation with the show's hosts to a headline of "Grow Up Benteke" shows the sensationalism of sports journalism - especially on slow news days where every non-story needs to be turned into a story.

None of the big teams are hugely active at the moment, so what better way to fill-up blank spaces than to whip up a story on an easy target.

As Rev says, Lambert would no doubt have spoken to CB since the interview and, by all accounts, they have a really good relationship so hopefully Benteke will take this with a pinch of salt.

Edited by StanBalaban

The best thing to keep Benteke is to actually go out and do our business early this window, show that we intend to kick on. In my opinion we are still to dependent on him though, so I would not mind seeing a striker come in who could challenge him for a place.

Why would he bother with Benteke when he has Lukaku though?  They are extremely similar players, and they both fill the Drogba replacement role. 

The recent international against USA proved they both can play together extremely well. 1-1. Lukaku brought on, game ended 2-4 to Belgium. Benteke scored 2.

I watched that whole match and I have to say they did not combine together at all. I am not saying either played bad, but honestly it seemed like neither cared the other was on the pitch. I was wondering how those two would play together considering they are very similar and it seemed that Lukaku just took the back seat and let Benteke do what he wanted up top while Lukaku just roamed around. Both are meant to be played as the target striker up top so playing both at once would be a waste in my opinion. 

Other reports differ. Wildly. 

The Belgium manager Marc Wilmots stuck to his policy of starting with a solitary striker during last week's friendly in the United States but modified things when Mousa Dembélé had to come off after half an hour, introducing Benteke to partner Lukaku for the first time. They hit it off like hydrogen nuclei. The American defence could not cope as the score went from 1-1 to 4-2 to the visitors. Benteke scored twice and though neither goal was directly teed up by Lukaku, the interaction between the pair was one of the most attractive features of a compelling collective performance.

Guardian

Â