Christian Benteke

Kwan

Benteke is a good player, but he is not one of the best young strikers in Europe. Can people please not get carried away. Its a bit like the Carew hysteria in 2009. As John Ggregory said, we villa fans are desperate for a hero, and as a result have a tendency to over rate our players. I think he is a good player and has done well in most games.

Name me 5 strikers playing in their first top flight season (no offence Belgium), who could be considered young, with anything like 14 goals and 8 assists.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm genuinely interested.

Well first define young. 23 and younger? Secondly why does it have to be their first top flight season? That reduces the pool dramatically because if it is your first season in a top league, then you will be about 17/18, anyone older then that would of already played at least more then 1 season in the top flight.

You've kind of negated your own point there tbh. 

• Like 1

Benteke has had top flight seasons already. He has played in the Bbelgian league for 4 years. Now I know you may not rate that league, but its still a top flight division with some respectable teams and players in there. We are not talking about the Moldovan or Luxembourg top flight here.

Most would argue though that while the Belgian league isn't total gash, it is certainly not up there with the best in Europe. He also only really played two full seasons in that league last year at Genk, iinm. You're not going to find many strikers in Europe around the age of 21/22 that are developed as far as Benteke playing in their first year in a high level league, and I still think he is quite raw in some areas. He is great now, but two years from now, if I were a defender, I would genuinely fear going up against him. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

Screw the doubters, I think is one of the best strikers we've had for years. You're going back as far as Yorke for anyone better IMO.

Imagine him at 26 or 27, Jesus Christ what a player he could be.

As if there wasn't enough reasons to stay up, it'd just be a pleasure to see him play for us for another year. He's probably off anyway, but we've got the slimmest chance of keeping him till next Jan if we stay up.

Lerner must be chomping at the bit to sell Benteke and Weimann in the summer after we get relegated. Benteke especially. You can just imagine Lerner after a game, calling Faulkner just to see if the big fella has scored again and not giving a shit about the result or how many we've conceded again!

If so, why would he buy a football club in the first place? Moronic post

Good question, why did he buy a football club? Let's face it, he's not really showed much interest in the club or the fans for quite a while. Also, there's a guy posting on this site who works for the club who mentioned that Lambert went cap in hand to Lerner to be able to buy Benteke, with the pitch being that Benteke would be worth at least double what we'd be paying for him in a couple of years.

Oh, and less of the moron! If you don't like what I have to say just don't read the posts.

What someone on here said (can't remember who) was that he was one of the best young strikers in Europe. That was it, that was all that was said. I simply disagreed with that statement although I accept he is a good player who will improve.

Please can we stop comparing him to carthorse Carew !! This is an insult to Benteke.

Christian is the real deal make no mistake. I had my doubts at the start but I think most people are coming around to the fact he's going to be top draw. Already impressive stats in a dire team. He's a 'baller' street footballer. Very clever with his body shapes gaining an extra yard. He's got the lot. I'm full signed up to the church and have finally found a Villa player I can worship.

ONE CHRISTIAN BENTEKE !! 

Benteke is a good player, but he is not one of the best young strikers in Europe. Can people please not get carried away. Its a bit like the Carew hysteria in 2009. As John Ggregory said, we villa fans are desperate for a hero, and as a result have a tendency to over rate our players. I think he is a good player and has done well in most games.

Name me 5 strikers playing in their first top flight season (no offence Belgium), who could be considered young, with anything like 14 goals and 8 assists.

Well first define young. 23 and younger? Secondly why does it have to be their first top flight season? That reduces the pool dramatically because if it is your first season in a top league, then you will be about 17/18, anyone older then that would of already played at least more then 1 season in the top flight.

Just name them. I'm leaving it open to your interpretation. 

El Shawaaray

Muller

Sturridge

Walcott

Hosiner

Vossen

These players are all young (23 and younger) and currently have more golden shoe points then Benteke. . Golden shoe points takes it account goals scored this season and the standard of the league, so the argument that it is only the (insert poor league) does not work.

Anyway Benteke is probably player of the year at villa park this season, so I am happy with his input so far.

Edited by Voinjama

Edited by Voinjama

Benteke has had top flight seasons already. He has played in the Bbelgian league for 4 years. Now I know you may not rate that league, but its still a top flight division with some respectable teams and players in there. We are not talking about the Moldovan or Luxembourg top flight here.

Belgian league hardly counts as 'top flight', it's gash.

Belgian league hardly counts as 'top flight', it's gash.

Yeah,and i reckon most of the teams in Belgium would beat Premier league villa.

El Shawaaray

Muller

Sturridge

Walcott

Hosiner

Vossen

These players are all young (23 and younger) and currently have more golden shoe points then Benteke. . Golden shoe points takes it account goals scored this season and the standard of the league, so the argument that it is only the (insert poor league) does not work.

Anyway Benteke is probably player of the year at villa park this season, so I am happy with his input so far.

El Shawaaray - AC Milan, has players like Robinho, Montolivio around him.

Muller - Bayern Munich who lead the Bundesliga by a country mile. Look at the players he has around him Robben, Ribery etc.

Sturridge - Was playing at Chelsea with Oscar, Mata & Hazard behind him. Now has Suarez & Gerrard.

Walcott - 7th season at Arsenal, when he was Christian's age he managed 9 goals in The Premiership and look at all the talent he had around him, RVP, Nasri, Fabregas.

Hosiner - Playing again for the best team in the league, lead by 7 points.

Vossen - Playing for a team 5th in a much weaker league.

Benteke - Has Beckhamesque crosser Bannan & the new Patrick Vieria Fabian Delph setting him up

El Shawaaray

Muller

Sturridge

Walcott

Hosiner

Vossen

El Shawaaray - AC Milan, has players like Robinho, Montolivio around him.

Muller - Bayern Munich who lead the Bundesliga by a country mile. Look at the players he has around him Robben, Ribery etc.

Sturridge - Was playing at Chelsea with Oscar, Mata & Hazard behind him. Now has Suarez & Gerrard.

Walcott - 7th season at Arsenal, when he was Christian's age he managed 9 goals in The Premiership and look at all the talent he had around him, RVP, Nasri, Fabregas.

Hosiner - Playing again for the best team in the league, lead by 7 points.

Vossen - Playing for a team 5th in a much weaker league.

Benteke - Has Beckhamesque crosser Bannan & the new Patrick Vieria Fabian Delph setting him up

LOL

Â