Christian Benteke

Kwan

we need to stop letting clubs above from coming after our players and keeping us down, instead we need to keep them and go after other teams league positions

benteke can help us achieve that

100% Agree.

The problem is that players want to play for the biggest, most successful club they possibly can. Since the Champion's Leage came in, these clubs are routinely the same familiar group, and we are not part of that group. There is a pecking order in football which is becoming more and more entrenched, and this is made worse by the fact that you can't hang on to players whose ambition is making them look elsewhere. It's all very well to say the player should hang around and help make the team successful, but nobody seems to want to show such loyalty and self-sacrifice any more. Benteke has no natural affinity for Aston Villa, and we can hardly expect him to want to hang around helping us improve if Barcelona (or Arsenal :() want to sign him, even if we do somehow make the CL.

Haha. He hasn't got Drogba's finishing skills but he is still young. That could be developed, hopefully with us.

Well you have to take into account age, Benteke has done far more in football than Drogba did by 21. Drogba took a while to become a finisher and actually looked a bit of a donkey for the first half of his first season at Chelsea.

Carew was a great signing, but I never ever thought he was unplayable the way Benteke was against Liverpool. MON bandied the word around pretty freely imo.

MON did, but not as much as he bandied around the word "immense"! (I actually can't read that word without hearing it being said in my head in MON's voice!).

I think his age may play in our favour in keeping him, he may have ambitions to play Champions League but he may not decide to act on those ambitions until he's 24-25 meaning he could be with us for a few years yet. Hell if he stays with us we could give him that European football he may want as while I know it's too soon to think it, but we are heading in the right direction and while it may take a few seasons we could be in around Top 6 again.

Interesting words from Townsend..

Basically said defenders aren't sure how to handle Benteke he said they will obviously watch videos etc but don't know how to deal with him.

It'll be interesting to see how he does near the end of season and next season and if he is still making the same impact.. imo he will because most teams struggle with physical players like him.

I don't think he's an Arsene Wenger type of player but I can see Chelsea looking at him in the summer as an option to replace the Drogba sized hole in their team.

They'll have lulaku back who I think is also quality. But shocking to think they had to pay nearly twice as much for him!

Â