Christian Benteke

Kwan

All his belgian team mates in the premier leauge are at decent clubs. He is probably a pissed off that he ended up at a shit team that will be around the bottom 3 all season. He probably didnt realise how bad we actually are and if he thought we were based in London and ended up in Birmingham then I imagine that was a bit of a disappointment

Arsenal are the club I love,” said the £7m striker.

“I like their philosophy of selecting young players, and besides they had Thierry Henry in their team. For me he is the best player in the world, and he was my boyhood idol.

“I am not afraid of making enemies at Aston Villa by saying I love Arsenal. There are worse things one can say.

“I am a Villa player for now. They are the right club at the right time for me.

“I have fulfilled a dream by getting to play in the Premier League, and now it is all about staying as long as possible. Villa is just the beginning of my career in England.

“At the time I signed for Villa I didn’t know where they played. I thought they were a London club!”

Well its the Sun as many have already stated!.. Who's staff are stuffed full of fans of London based fans no doubt a large portion of whom just happen to be Arsenal fans..They love a good old gloat at the best of times & as they have been getting a bit of an inferiority complex of late, with their best players being poached by "bigger clubs", maybe this is some way they can big themselves up a bit again? Typical Red top tripe all biased towards the London clubs & derogatory towards us. Let me see don't we play them soon? Impeccable timing!..nuff said

There is absolutely no need to say that. No need at all. I do care because we're already a downtrodden bunch that aren't fashionable to anyone and it really bugs me that Villa are so easy to dismiss. Consider other clubs "our size":

Newcastle. Would you get a Newcastle player saying this? Would we even see an Newcastle player saying thing during or after their relegation nightmare? No.

Everton. Just would not happen.

Tottenham: London

How boring and tedious is it that our new bright prospects treat the club like this to the national press. Keep your **** mouths shut!

When England played Germany in Euro 1996, they had a front page with a WW2 helmet on the front - likening the football match to war... WTF?

That was the Daily Mirror. Christian needs to keep this shit to himself but not going to write him off just yet. He's still young and a bit naive.

I'm not too bothered by it, if he performs then we'll get good money for him. Think of it this way, we spent £7m on a kid with no PL experience or European experience. We're going to want more than £20m if he gets to 24/25 because his peak years will be in front of him, he'll be a better player he will have had PL experience and he'll be more well known in this country. Frankly if we can keep bying players for £6m and getting more than £15m for them back, we'll be doing things like Udinese, Spurs and Dortmund and they're all really good teams who play within their financial means.

The last thing we need to do is keep unhappy players, let's just get good money and use our new improved scouting network to improve the standard of players we're buying slowly, we'll always have a new hero, don't worry about it :)

• Like 2

Benteke is doing just fine at the moment, if in two years he's bagged us 20 goals per season and someone offers us silly money, then he'll move on (unless the team are doing well and competing near the top again) and it'll be win-win for all and sundry.

By the sound of it he won't be with us for two years.

all players think like this. I just think foreign players arent worried about telling people about it. In that case you have to admire their honesty about the whole thing rather than pretending your staying for the rest of your life and jumping ship as soon as the big boys come calling (aka Barry, Milner and Young).

You will get the odd few players that will be loyal (mellberg, gabby, laursen etc) but clubs will only ever have 2/3 max during a generation of players. Just how it is.

Good thing from all this, is that he wants to play for arsenal, hes going to have to play like an arsenal player (GOOD FOR US!). If he ends up going, he goes, we move on and replace. Its not just us. Look at Fulham who just lost Dempsey and Dembele to Tottenham. Theyve bought well and will do ok. You need a bit of luck with players coming through youth system and signing known and unknown players well to make you a top 4/5 side, to which then if your players go, you are big enough te replace them with quality.

Benteke will save us this season from going down and maybe next season build a side around him to make us mid-table - Europa places, if that means we lose him to a big side, so be it, he has served his purpose of helping build our side back up. Before we signed him, didnt have a clue who he was. There are players out there. I honestly think its more important to keep Lambert who to me has been the real revelation this year!

He'd be **** mental if he wanted to spend the rest of his career with us should he become the standard of striker capable of playing for Arsenal (Van Persie, Henry et al). That said, it was only last month he looked like the next Emile Heskey.

Early days. At least he seems aware of our history, so credit to him for that.

No problem with him thinking like this. Hope he gets his wish.

If he ends up at Arsenal he will have scored a lot of goals, proved his worth and been sold for a **** ton of cash.

All of which are good things for Aston Villa.

I don't expect loyalty from any player (Gareth Barry taught me that) so when you just view them as money grabbing rocket polishers and/or club assests it make things a bit easier.

It doesn't matter that its the sun, it doesn't matter that good players are ambitious and it doesn't matter that we all know he'll move to a bigger club at some point.

It was a stupid thing to say and it can't be defended.

Lets just hope his ambition to play for arsenal means he puts in a world class performance when we play them next week.

• Like 1

And how folks are we going to defend this if true?

I bet Morpheus jizzed his pants when he read that article

I saw the article on here last night and posted the above question 'Stevo985.' Since then some posters have used 'The Sun' as their only defence of him. We will probably get the club quoting 'misquote and he's a young player in a new country' but i bet Lambert is fuming and it will be interesting to see whether he plays in the next game?

No gloating from me at all and like everyone else on VT i am bitterly disappointed that he would say something like this. He was already on the way to becoming a cult hero and may have destroyed that?

I'm sure Bent will be having a quiet chuckle to himself.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2233798/Christian-Benteke-I-love-Arsenal-thought-Aston-Villa-based-London.html

Christian Benteke has declared his love for Arsenal and revealed he thought Aston Villa were based in London before he signed for the Midlands club.

The revelations are likely to stun Villa supporters after seeing the Belgian forward swiftly become a fans' favourite since he arrived from Genk in a £7million deal in August.

Benteke, who has scored four goals for Villa and moved ahead of £24m signing Darren Bent in Paul Lambert's pecking order, also cited Gunners legend Thierry Henry as his idol, admitting it would be a dream to play for Arsene Wenger's side.

'Arsenal are the club I love,' Benteke said. 'I like their philosophy of selecting young players and, besides, they had Thierry Henry.

'For me he is the best player in the world and was my boyhood idol. I'm not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal.'

The 21-year-old added: 'When I joined Villa I didn't know where they played. I thought they were a London club!

'One can say worse things. I'm a Villa player for now. They're the right club at the right time.'

I suggest anybody who thought Benteke was here for any reason other than he thought it was good for his career or would make him some money seeks medical help.

Nobody moaning is saying that, it's just that you don't need to tell the press you want to play for someone else. It's biting the hand that feeds you.

• Like 1

Nobody moaning is saying that, it's just that you don't need to tell the press you want to play for someone else. It's biting the hand that feeds you.

Is it? I'm not offended by this, in fact I don't care at all. I'm not going to bother arguing that we don't actually know how the quotes came about, or their context - since when did that stop people jumping on every quote to appear on this site? - I just don't think this is a big deal.

The players are human. They make their own choices, and even sometimes make mistakes and let down their guard. I personally don't count this as one.

Chris, your stance that it doesn't bother you personally is great but you only have to look in the papers today or on twitter to know the comments are ill advised and therefore a mistake. You may not be too fussed but the image of the club is damaged by comments such as these, for every understanding fan such as yourself there will be several thousand opposing fans having a good laugh

These comments bad for the club and I doubt he was pushed to say them in anyway

• Like 1

There is absolutely no need to say that. No need at all. I do care because we're already a downtrodden bunch that aren't fashionable to anyone and it really bugs me that Villa are so easy to dismiss. Consider other clubs "our size":

Newcastle. Would you get a Newcastle player saying this? Would we even see an Newcastle player saying thing during or after their relegation nightmare? No.

Everton. Just would not happen.

Tottenham: London

How boring and tedious is it that our new bright prospects treat the club like this to the national press. Keep your **** mouths shut!

You say that no other clubs seem to get this, but wasn't Fellaini quoted about a month ago saying about moving to bigger club, also while on duty for Belgium? So I would say that It probably does happen at those other clubs, but as Villa fans we don't remember it so clearly and painfully as when it happens to us.

On your main point, I agree it is frustrating to hear players talk lovingly of other clubs, but we have fallen drastically in the last few years and picking ourselves up again is going to take a little while. We need to use these players like they're using our club for mutual benefit, and if/when they do leave replace them with similar or better quality. I have long given up thinking players will stay and want to help Villa win things, this dates back as far as Dwight Yorke leaving us. We weren't so far behind back then as we are now.

Â