Christian Benteke

Kwan

I think he will, personally. 'Anywhere near' is what, 6? 7? No problem.

I really don't get why some of our fans are seemingly desperate to write off our own players.

i not writing him off but I think ten goals in his first season here as a 21 yr old would not be a disappointing return
  • Like 1

I just think the lad needs the rub of the green. A couple of in-off the shin jobs, or speculative flukes would do fine, then he might start to put the 'chances' away.

Atm, he looks as though he could assist more than score, which in itself might prove to be useful in the PL grand scheme of things. Lets just see.

I take it we're talking ten for us this season? Because hasn't he already something like 5 for Genk, 1 for us, and 1 for Belgium. So if the target was ten for the season and he's already got 7, then that wouldn't be much hope for the rest of the season.

These big gangly targetmen are always a bit inconsistant, someone like Kenwyne Jones can have an amazing game and then you won't see him for a couple of weeks. Don't forget that Carew would go off form at times although in fairness his goal record in the end was right up there for Villa forwards post Yorke.

Benteke I'm sure will give us some great moments at times this season and infuriate us at other times when he miskicks yet again in front of goal. Interesting player though, I'm sure someone on this thread brought up the Savo comparison, I can see that.

I think I read somewhere on the OS that his name is pronounced 'Ben-tee-kee'. I like the look of him. I think when he settles in nicely within the team he will handful for the opposition defence. The signs are encouraging and I think we'll see him hit a good patch of form. Thumbs up from me.

• Like 1

'Obvious talent?' Mmm, still waiting to see that.

He appears to be keeping some really decent players out of one of the strongest national teams in Europe, so someone sees the talent in him that you dont.

He reminds me a bit of Savo when he first came. Scored a few, missed a few. Obvious technical ability, just a bit rough and ready. He's only a kid like Savo was back then. He will be fine, he is a threat. Give him a year to settle in maybe?

You're obviously not looking hard enough.

I shouldn't have to.

He appears to be keeping some really decent players out of one of the strongest national teams in Europe, so someone sees the talent in him that you dont.

He reminds me a bit of Savo when he first came. Scored a few, missed a few. Obvious technical ability, just a bit rough and ready. He's only a kid like Savo was back then. He will be fine, he is a threat. Give him a year to settle in maybe?

Giving him that year to settle in might mean with an injury to Bent again, Benteke finding his feet in the Championship?

The lad does have obvious talent.

He has a very good touch to go with some quite blatant physical attributes. He has a knack of getting into good positions, which with time and experience should correlate into more goals.

• Like 1

Giving him that year to settle in might mean with an injury to Bent again, Benteke finding his feet in the Championship?

The alternative was to spend similar sorts of money on a 'proven' player like Kevin Davies, Chamakh or Carlton Cole.

The alternative was to spend similar sorts of money on a 'proven' player like Kevin Davies, Chamakh or Carlton Cole.

Or Berbatov who was exactly the type of forward we needed to play in behind Bent. Or Jordan Rodes who in my very humble opinion has better potential than Benteke.

Or Berbatov who was exactly the type of forward we needed to play in behind Bent. Or Jordan Rodes who in my very humble opinion has better potential than Benteke.

wait what? bent is having difficulty getting in the side because of how much he offers outside of the box, PL wants everyone to work hard as a unit when we don't have the ball. Berbatov wouldn't have come here in the first place, but even if he did he's not exactly going to fit in with the work ethic is he?

don' tget me wrong bent and berbatov would be a good partnership, but not for us right now. no way because we just aren't set up to play with 2 players up front who don't help to get the ball back.

wait what? bent is having difficulty getting in the side because of how much he offers outside of the box, PL wants everyone to work hard as a unit when we don't have the ball. Berbatov wouldn't have come here in the first place, but even if he did he's not exactly going to fit in with the work ethic is he?

don' tget me wrong bent and berbatov would be a good partnership, but not for us right now. no way because we just aren't set up to play with 2 players up front who don't help to get the ball back.

Quality over work ethic in the final third is much more important. Running around a lot with no quality and no end product doesnt get you very far. It gets you about 5 points from 7 games

Â