Christian Benteke

Kwan

The best thing Lambert ever did for the club and probably the best player I've watched in Villa colours in my lifetime.

Certainly doesn't deserve to be booed on his return and almost certainly will be a success at Liverpool.

Will feelings change if he does a Yorke and kisses the Plop badge or celebrates the goal - I know some returnees (platt for one) didn't celebrate just shook hands and walked to the centre circle.

Will feelings change if he does a Yorke and kisses the Plop badge or celebrates the goal - I know some returnees (platt for one) didn't celebrate just shook hands and walked to the centre circle.

Celebrating is fine.

Antagonising the crowd would be different.

• Like 4

Celebrating is fine.

I'd want him to celebrate.  Players not celebrating is **** annoying.

I think the only exception would be the likes of, say, Steven Gerrard scoring against Liverpool.

• Like 1

Celebrating is fine.

Adebayor against Arsenal is the worst I've probably seen for this :lol:

Celebrating is fine.

I'd want him to celebrate. Players not celebrating is **** annoying.

I think the only exception would be the likes of, say, Steven Gerrard scoring against Liverpool.

why is he/they such an exception? If any player cares enough about a club that they don't want to celebrate scoring against them, what's the issue? I don't see why anyone should judge they way a player feels about a former club and their relationship with the fans.

what IS annoying is players overcelebrating, sprinting around when they've scored 14 minutes in, kissing cameras, revealing silly vests.

Hope we have some class and sing his song on his return!

I really hope we don't. I will clap when his name is read out but I will not be singing for an opposition player whoever they are.

Also on the non celebrating after scoring against a former club - celebrate all you bloody want. That club are now paying your wages, it really annoys me when players don't bother out of "loyalty"

• Like 1

Celebrating is fine.

I'd want him to celebrate. Players not celebrating is **** annoying.

why is he/they such an exception? If any player cares enough about a club that they don't want to celebrate scoring against them, what's the issue? I don't see why anyone should judge they way a player feels about a former club and their relationship with the fans.

what IS annoying is players overcelebrating, sprinting around when they've scored 14 minutes in, kissing cameras, revealing silly vests.

Long standing players have a true affiliation with the club.  They would gain mutual respect and applause from the home fans when they come back with their new team - not many players would get this, and I doubt Benteke will either (potentially the first time back, that'd be it).

I find overzealous celebrating less annoying than the "respect" thing.  Players are commodities and move around for glory and money.  Likewise, fans will naturally find new heroes to support.

Benteke is probably thankful to Villa for the platform we've given him, and will have respect for that, but he's not a Villa fan.  He's not sticking around to try and do things for the club, he's bettering himself - and that's absolutely fine.  But he should celebrate any success he gets.  If Micah Richards scored against Man City, I'd want to see him celebrate.

Will remember his contribution to Villa a lot longer than I will Delphs, thats for sure.

Good luck to the lad, particularly when one of the 'big' European sides pluck him from the wasteland of Anfield.

I think this whole thing about a player not celebrating a goal against a former club is one of the nonsenses that have crept into the modern game. A bit like players kicking the ball out of play when an opponent is injured. 

Does it really 'really annoy' you? Seriously? Why does it bother you that much?

It does yes, with the exception of the likes someone else has mentioned Gerrard, Scholes etc. They play for the club because they loved that club and wouldn't celebrate out of loyalty. On the other side of the coin you get players who have been at a club for a couple of seasons and do the same, you don't owe us anything as you were not here long enough.

I just really don't get it. Anyway off topic and my lunch has finished.  :D

I have no issue with a player celebrating at all, I just find it odd that someone not celebrating would be an issue. If any player feels like they had a connection or mutual respect with the fans or staff at a club and doesn't want to take enjoyment from beating them, I struggle to see what that would make anyone annoyed! They're clearly not taking the foot off the pedal, they're being a professional and doing their job while also not gloating infront of a former employer they might be fond of.

i think Tekkers has been respectful, including watching all the preseason games in portugal and not appearing all over the press saying he wants a move etc.

He also gave us three seasons which is more than oldler heros like Big Alan Macanally and wasn't Hitchens only here for a couple of seasons?

Hope he goes onto success just not at Liverpool!  

• Like 2

Â