Christian Benteke

Kwan

Lads the timing does of course matter.

Suppose they offer to pay half (£16.25m) today and the other half in a year. That £16.25m sitting in the bank for a year will earn in the region of £500k-£1m in interest. That's enough to pay a decent player's wages for the year.

It won't sit in the bank though.

Say we owe Nice £10m for Amavi. If we have to pay that today, we write a cheque for £10m today. But if we have to pay that in two years and we can get an interest rate of 5.4%, we only have to put £9m in the bank today and it will turn into £10m by the time we have to pay. Saves us a million quid.

Same goes in reverse when we're selling. Of course Liverpool want to phase it over however many years.

Now you're of course right that the money's not just going to sit in the bank but the point that the timing can matter still stands.

Well played Benteke.. Drive for the best possible move and make no qualms about it. You've never lead us on to believe you'd stay this summer so as much as I don't want you to go, I wish you the best in whatever team ends up landing you. The more I think about Adebayor the more I like the sound of it. The photo on that article is kinda why as yes he's a mercenary and has a poor attitude, but he clearly has a connection with our charismatic manager and that is what counts.

But I thought the respected Belgian journalist said Benteke wanted to go to Liverpool

You're believing one journalist over another though?

Actually no. I don't believe any of them. The only thing I believe in is ITSOTP

Well Liverpool, like us, will just be a stepping stone to the move he's always wanted. The thing is that Liverpool are considered a bigger platform and top European clubs will pay more attention to him if he succeeds there but it means he'll have to wait another 2 or 3 seasons and then battle with Liverpool to leave. I think he's looking to try and skip that. 

• Like 1

If he's going to leave this summer then I'd rather he just does it.  I don't want him to go to liverpool but I want us to make sure we bring in a decent replacement for him.  If he leaves late in the window that could make us miss out on our number 1 target.  Just go soon please.

Wouldn't it make more sense for him to stay 1 year, continue to stand out so he gets in the national team, have a good season and Euros, then move to a champions league club?

If he moves to Liverpool, he might not hit the ground running, could be under a different manager by Jan, risk his spot in the national team as Belgium have some good strikers out there, then never get that champions league move??

Kristof Terreur @HLNinEngeland 5m5 minutes ago

Everything is settled between Aston Villa and Liverpool on the £32,5m deal for Christian Benteke. Medical has been planned. #LFC #AVFC

He's pretty reliable about all things Belgian (albeit on Twitter)

So long Christian, good luck but you could've aimed a little higher with your new team selection.

If he's going to leave this summer then I'd rather he just does it.  I don't want him to go to liverpool but I want us to make sure we bring in a decent replacement for him.  If he leaves late in the window that could make us miss out on our number 1 target.  Just go soon please.

I assume the reason its not happened yet is we're still deciding with Kop how its paid.

Obviously the amount to Genk will need to be paid, but we could be awkward and want a large proportion of it up front. Fair play as well, why should be make it easy for Kop to sign our best player?

It does make me wonder how the clause is worded, 32.5mill but its up to the selling club how it is accepted? Seems a bit of a grey area to me.

I hope thats why its taking longer, for all we know it could fall through, Benteke stays for another season and we have a cracking year and he signs up, anything could happen.

Kristof Terreur ‏@HLNinEngeland 5m5 minutes ago

Everything is settled between Aston Villa and Liverpool on the £32,5m deal for Christian Benteke. Medical has been planned. #LFC #AVFC

He's pretty reliable about all things Belgian (albeit on Twitter)

So long Christian, good luck but you could've aimed a little higher with your new team selection.

Ignore the above i've just put :lol:

Yeah that journo has contact with both Benteke and his agent.

• Like 1

Â