Christian Benteke

Kwan

I may be wrong but I don't think there's a rule saying he can't play for Belgium unless he playing for Aston Villa.

Cliched, desperate nonsense. 

He's actually been poor in his recent internationals and has received quite a bit of criticism.

I'm sure he'll fancy his chances of doing well at Liverpool thus "cementing" his international place. Even though I hate the idea of him going there.

Edited by supernova26
  • Like 1

I may be wrong but I don't think there's a rule saying he can't play for Belgium unless he playing for Aston Villa.

Cliched, desperate nonsense.

He's actually been poor in his recent internationals and has received quite a bit of criticism.

I'm sure he'll fancy his chances of doing well at Liverpool thus "cementing" his international place. Even though I hate the idea of him going there.

Don't be silly. Of course if he goes Liverpool

his euro dream is over and he will never play for a title winning team in his life.

Sorry about the sarcasm. I've clearly spent way too much time on villa talk ;)

You lot are missing my point. There is more chance of Real coming along while he is playing at Liverpool than at Villa. He will get more service, score more goals and win more games. Do you think the likes of Suarez and Torres would have got their big money moves after a season with us!

There were probably Newcastle fans who said similar about Carrol,
Yes and it turned out the move was too big for him. Fans on here are saying the move to Liverpool is too small for him!
And it is.

Then how does that compare with what happened to Carrol? Are you suggesting had he stayed at Newcastle he would have got an even bigger move than Liverpool?

What I'm saying is you are saying its a certainty he will "get more service, score more goals and win more games" at Liverpool than here, I'm saying there is no guarantee of that and that people would have said it of Carrol.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to think Benteke is too good to move to a club likely to be playing in the Europa League for the next few years.

I don't see how your two sentences here aren't mutually contradictory. 

You lot are missing my point. There is more chance of Real coming along while he is playing at Liverpool than at Villa. He will get more service, score more goals and win more games. Do you think the likes of Suarez and Torres would have got their big money moves after a season with us!

Yes and it turned out the move was too big for him. Fans on here are saying the move to Liverpool is too small for him!
And it is.

Then how does that compare with what happened to Carrol? Are you suggesting had he stayed at Newcastle he would have got an even bigger move than Liverpool?

What I'm saying is you are saying its a certainty he will "get more service, score more goals and win more games" at Liverpool than here, I'm saying there is no guarantee of that and that people would have said it of Carrol.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for people to think Benteke is too good to move to a club likely to be playing in the Europa League for the next few years.

Angel Di Maria.

Perfectly capable of playing at PL level and higher but hasn't exactly worked out at United has it.

So no they aren't.

Benteke is a player that thrives on crosses, Liverpool don't provide that sort of service.

I'm not suggesting Liverpool isn't a level above us, clearly it is.

I just don't think him moving to Liverpool is guaranteed to result in the things being suggested, I don't think it would be the right move and I think he could do better.

He is too good for us but he is also too good to be playing in the Europa League and that is where Liverpool are these days, one exceptional season (carried by an exceptional player) apart.

I'm sure he'll get a bit of stick and some banter, but nothing more than you'd generally get for looking a tit in front of the lads.. I could even see Sherwood having a little dig all in good fun, but I think everyone in and around this sport understands that players come and go and that everyone has aspirations. Benteke considering Liverpool a step up is not a dig at Villa, it's merely his opinion whether it works out for him or not.. I'd personally have a laugh about it and move on..

He'd fit in well there as well.. He's also arguably be an improvement on Dzeko.. 50 goals in 130 apps to Benteke's 42 goals in 88 apps. When you consider Benteke has done that in one of the worst teams in Villa history, he'd be smashing them in at Man City.. 

yeh im out of this thread haha....swear im just getting secretly trolled.

thread goes like this: make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense   ->   somebody questions said statement/shows why it isnt true    ->    totally ignore     ->     make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense 5 posts later.

if someone can put an actual argument together as to why benteke is arsenal+ level i will much appreciate it but im struggling to see it.

Edited by gharperr

thread goes like this: make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense -> somebody questions said statement/shows why it isnt true -> totally ignore -> make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense 5 posts later.

prove it!

thread goes like this: make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense   ->   somebody questions said statement/shows why it isnt true    ->    totally ignore     ->     make exaggerated statement or statement which doesnt make sense 5 posts later.

if someone can put an actual argument together as to why benteke is arsenal+ level i will much appreciate it but im struggling to see it.

*ignores* 

:D

• Like 1

Ability.

And it is.

Angel Di Maria.

Perfectly capable of playing at PL level and higher but hasn't exactly worked out at United has it.

So no they aren't.

Benteke is a player that thrives on crosses, Liverpool don't provide that sort of service.

I'm not suggesting Liverpool isn't a level above us, clearly it is.

I just don't think him moving to Liverpool is guaranteed to result in the things being suggested, I don't think it would be the right move and I think he could do better.

He is too good for us but he is also too good to be playing in the Europa League and that is where Liverpool are these days, one exceptional season (carried by an exceptional player) apart.

You'll always be able to find odd examples, but by and large a player too good for Liverpool will look good when playing for Liverpool. Certainly more times than not, and so I can see why he would fancy his chances. Taking the three assumptions you challenged:

Get more service - he would definitely get more and better service from Liverpool's midfield than ours, there's no real debate about this

Score more goals - he would very likely score more goals at Liverpool, although I suppose there's a chance he could be rotated

Win more games - of course he would win more games at Liverpool. 

Two assumptions I would challenge are, 1) Liverpool are guaranteed to fail to qualify for the Champions League (even last year, which was a clearly a bad year for the club, they went on a 17-game unbeaten run and only definitely failed to qualify two or three games from the end of the season, and 2) The fact that Liverpool put in a small number of crosses last year means they couldn't alter their style of play to benefit their personnel next season. 

• Like 2

Â