Christian Benteke

Kwan

On the plus side, at least he will probably now be at Villa for another season.... not as prolific as last season but scored a fair amount and made a big impact on games so has done his job this season and I think we are safe now even after the last 3 poor performances.

Best of luck to him and hopefully makes a full recovery!

"He thought someone tackled him from behind" ?

So did someone ? And if so who ?

First of all, your rush to blame someone is pathetic. Second of all, the Achilles rupture is generally a non contact injury down to bad luck. Third of all, why would they say "thought" if someone actually did?

It is one of the tell tale signs of an achilles injury that they think they've been kicked from behind

Source: I'm a sports therapist here in Canada (and no I don't mean this to be cheeky, just wanted to clarify)

• Like 4

Have played in a match where a team mate snapped his achilles, receiving the ball and then turning with it. You could hear the 'crack' - there was no one near him at all and he swore that someone had kicked him.

It's unfortunately one of those shit things that can happen.

Good luck in the recovery CB!

Has anyone else ruptured their achilles in the premier league? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head

Didn't Jermaine Jenas rupture his when he was on loan with us?

Curtis Davis did for us against Arsenal when Mon was manager. Shit like this happens, no ones fault just really bad luck.

"He thought someone tackled him from behind" ?

So did someone ? And if so who ?

First of all, your rush to blame someone is pathetic. Second of all, the Achilles rupture is generally a non contact injury down to bad luck. Third of all, why would they say "thought" if someone actually did?

It is one of the tell tale signs of an achilles injury that they think they've been kicked from behind

Source: I'm a sports therapist here in Canada (and no I don't mean this to be cheeky, just wanted to clarify)

Yep this.

It's where the ridiculous rumours that Jenas has tripped over a sprinkler came from when he did it playing for us.

he looked behind him because he thought he'd been kicked and some dopey commentator said "maybe he tripped over a sprinkler?!" and several media outlets ran with it.

But yeah, by all accounts when people snap their achilles they nearly always think something has hit them.

At least we know he won't be sold this summer  -_-

Dunno, we bought Downing when he was injured and about 6 months away from return to playing IIRC.

The uproar around that was because people misunderstand the point of a medical.

But that being said, a ruptured achilles is much different to a broken foot. You can be more or less sure a broken foot will heal as expected and the player will be back to normal. It's not a serious injury.

A ruptured achilles is much more complicated. I'd be very surprised if anyone signed him until he's recovered.

Heres a bit of news to cheer you up...

Such is the seriousness of Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke's ruptured achilles tendon, there is no guarantee he will come back, a leading orthopaedic surgeon has warned.

The Belgium international was ruled out of the World Cup when he suffered the injury in training last week. The initial prognosis was that Benteke would be sidelined for six months, but that has since been extended to eight months, according to some media outlets.

However, Simon Moyes, a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at The Wellington Hospital in London said the seriousness of the player's injury means not only could he be out of action for a long time, injuries of this nature are often career-threatening."

"There is no guarantee he will be back," Moyes told [football] direct news. "While he is more than likely to recover after six months, sometimes it takes longer and it can be 12 months before they are playing again."

Moyes added that while a repaired tendon is usually about 80% as strong as it was prior to injury, if it is re-reruptured, it could be the end of a player's career.

"When players do come back, they are not always the same," said Moyes. "Physically they can be slightly slower and sometimes a mental block means they can be scared to go in for certain tackles."

Heres a bit of news to cheer you up...

Such is the seriousness of Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke's ruptured achilles tendon, there is no guarantee he will come back, a leading orthopaedic surgeon has warned.

The Belgium international was ruled out of the World Cup when he suffered the injury in training last week. The initial prognosis was that Benteke would be sidelined for six months, but that has since been extended to eight months, according to some media outlets.

However, Simon Moyes, a consultant orthopaedic surgeon at The Wellington Hospital in London said the seriousness of the player's injury means not only could he be out of action for a long time, injuries of this nature are often career-threatening."

"There is no guarantee he will be back," Moyes told [football] direct news. "While he is more than likely to recover after six months, sometimes it takes longer and it can be 12 months before they are playing again."

Moyes added that while a repaired tendon is usually about 80% as strong as it was prior to injury, if it is re-reruptured, it could be the end of a player's career.

"When players do come back, they are not always the same," said Moyes. "Physically they can be slightly slower and sometimes a mental block means they can be scared to go in for certain tackles."

I have heard you shouldn't really listen to people with the surname moyes they have a habbit of being out of their depth in whatever career they are in.

Craig Mackail-Smith played for Brighton at the weekend. His first appearance of the season. He reputured his Achilles in March 2013.

This is a serious serious injury folks. I actually agree with Lambert in that if he has to suffer a serious injury you'd rather a broken leg as with a clean break that's usually a straight  month job.

I think he'll be lucky to play again in 2014 and if he does it will take ages for him to get up to prem league speed again so it will be more of the Benteke of October-December from this season we saw.

By the sound of it half of the mooted 20m transfer fund that Lambert is apparently going to get will have to be spent on another striker as Lambert has already come out and said that Bent has no future at the club.

Alternatively we could ask Chelsea to give us Ba on loan who can play the loan striking role and have Kozak as backup?

Edited by shaggy

We really need more creativity in our team, a number 10 and a pacy wideman and it's possible Gabby/Kozak could have a purple patch and keep us ticking over for at least the first 6-7 games of the season at least which would take us to October and Benteke might not be too far away from at least returning to action although I get the feeling it's going to be January 2015 before we see him again so a loan might make sense.

Â