Christian Benteke

Kwan

"He thought someone tackled him from behind" ?

So did someone ? And if so who ?

I don't think he was tackled. What he felt was likely the pressure releasing as it ruptured.  

The issue here is it will take him a good while to get up to speed when he does return say hopefully in November. We saw during the winter months of this season a half fit Benteke having a limited impact on games and that would be my concern when he comes back particularly if he's being heralded as the saviour if we're not doing great in the league which wouldn't be the biggest surprise.

I wish him well anyway, in what has been a pretty sorry last few years for this club, in his 18 months here he's given us some great memories with the quality of goals he's scored so this is a bit different to another member of the squad getting injured imo particularly as Belgium have qualified for their first tournament in 15 years and he's been denied that.

I think short term we must must and must some more sign some midfielders who can actually pass forwards once they cross the halfway line and hopefully this will lead to Gabby/Kozak having a purple patch at the start of next season and keep us ticking over in this period.

This end of season will be interesting...if we finish very poorly in the league when we're playing mostly bottom half teams in the run in then I'd say this doesn't exactly bode well for next season.

On the whole I don't think this is good news for us even if it guarentees him here another year. Clubs will be very reluctant to splash big money on someone who's just ruptured his Achilles as he will probably lose 5% from his game, it's inevitable whenever a player gets a serious injury.

Can't say I'm gutted for him personally, as I don't think he really cares about us given what he's said and done whilst being here.

But I'm devastated as he's a quality player and we can't even sell him let alone play him :(

Absolutely bang on. I couldn't give a flying f*** about benteke missing out on the World Cup. He is probably the most unlikeable decent Villa player I can ever remember playing for us. He is a mercenary who couldn't give two shits about the Villa and although its regrettable we will be without our main striker, I really don't get the notion that we should feel some how sorry for a multi-millionaire footballer who has been largely anonymous for us all season. Its disappointing from a Villa perspective but to feel sorry for him....no chance.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but think about this: If he did go to World Cup and do well, how long before he chucked another transfer request in?? 5 minutes? 10?

Christ, you're a cheery pair!

Most footballers are mercenarys! Why shouldn't he want to move to a much better club than us and win honours? He won't do that with us. His behaviour in the summer was, granted,  ill advised, but he withdrew his request and signed a new contract. Maybe I don't follow the club as closely as you two but what has he done that makes him so unlikeable?

Dont understand why people think Benteke should love villa like the fans. He's from Belgium, has no ties in England let alone Birmingham, his family are from Congo, and its rare to find ANYONE that doesn't want to improve their career's and abilities. Would you turn down a promotion? No. Benteke wouldn't turn down playing for Arsenal, for example. He loves FOOTBALL not Villa. Leave the kid alone - and so what he handed in a transfer request, nobody really knows the detail and its meant to be the professional thing to do. I don't care as long as he gets on with the team (and apparently he does) and does well here. That's all we can ask.

Probably poking my nose in but isn't your reply tomh621 exactly why Villarule123 and One for the road feel about Benteke the way they do?

After last summer I just can't take to this player, in fact I don't think much of any of them but after half a season playing well he disrupted the transfer period by his actions. Let's not forget if the press reports are correct he only stayed because Spurs chose another player.

They may well all be the same, money grabbing mercenaries but Benteke stood out by putting in a transfer request less than a year after signing for us. If it was just ambition then why was his agent (spit) talking about money?

He is a talent who should get better but I for one wont be shedding any tears for him as I just don't care what happens to him I only care about Aston Villa. If that sound harsh so be it at least I'm being honest.

Can't say I'm gutted for him personally, as I don't think he really cares about us given what he's said and done whilst being here.

But I'm devastated as he's a quality player and we can't even sell him let alone play him :(

Absolutely bang on. I couldn't give a flying f*** about benteke missing out on the World Cup. He is probably the most unlikeable decent Villa player I can ever remember playing for us. He is a mercenary who couldn't give two shits about the Villa and although its regrettable we will be without our main striker, I really don't get the notion that we should feel some how sorry for a multi-millionaire footballer who has been largely anonymous for us all season. Its disappointing from a Villa perspective but to feel sorry for him....no chance.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh but think about this: If he did go to World Cup and do well, how long before he chucked another transfer request in?? 5 minutes? 10?

Christ, you're a cheery pair!

Most footballers are mercenarys! Why shouldn't he want to move to a much better club than us and win honours? He won't do that with us. His behaviour in the summer was, granted,  ill advised, but he withdrew his request and signed a new contract. Maybe I don't follow the club as closely as you two but what has he done that makes him so unlikeable?

Dont understand why people think Benteke should love villa like the fans. He's from Belgium, has no ties in England let alone Birmingham, his family are from Congo, and its rare to find ANYONE that doesn't want to improve their career's and abilities. Would you turn down a promotion? No. Benteke wouldn't turn down playing for Arsenal, for example. He loves FOOTBALL not Villa. Leave the kid alone - and so what he handed in a transfer request, nobody really knows the detail and its meant to be the professional thing to do. I don't care as long as he gets on with the team (and apparently he does) and does well here. That's all we can ask.

Probably poking my nose in but isn't your reply tomh621 exactly why Villarule123 and One for the road feel about Benteke the way they do?

After last summer I just can't take to this player, in fact I don't think much of any of them but after half a season playing well he disrupted the transfer period by his actions. Let's not forget if the press reports are correct he only stayed because Spurs chose another player.

They may well all be the same, money grabbing mercenaries but Benteke stood out by putting in a transfer request less than a year after signing for us. If it was just ambition then why was his agent (spit) talking about money?

He is a talent who should get better but I for one wont be shedding any tears for him as I just don't care what happens to him I only care about Aston Villa. If that sound harsh so be it at least I'm being honest.

No thats not at all harsh. I won't be shedding a tear either, I'm glad we have a quality player. Ill also be glad when we get some decent money for him. But he's not an object the guy has aspiration, and i don't thing he's done anything wrong. Perhaps naive and a little quick to jump the gun and leave Villa but he hasn't intentionally been disrespectful. 

This isn't so bad, he will be unsaleable in the summer, if he heals well we will have him for most of the the first half of next season, and possibly for the rest of the season.

Not sure Mr Lerner will see it like that.

Didnt realise he ruptured his Achilles. That is not a 6 month layoff.

Beckham had his Achilles surgically repaired by Dr. Sakari Orava in Finland the following day. “He will have to take it very easy during the next two to three weeks or a month, and then he will continue with a recuperation program slowly,” Orava told The Associated Press. “The foot won't take much strain for two to three months.” Orava also said it would be “four months to running,” and another two months before playing. Beckham's spokesman, Simon Oliveira, said the tendon was completely repaired, and he expected Beckham to return to the game. “David is expected to make a full recovery”.

He is younger than Beckham but it will be around that, plus he will miss all of pre-season.

Ah OK, good news (kind of)!

Has anyone else ruptured their achilles in the premier league? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head

I googled this yesterday. IIRC Yakubu, Steven Taylor, Benayoun, Aurelio and Sidibe. Curtis Davies also did it.

Has anyone else ruptured their achilles in the premier league? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head

The fullback for Liverpool Fabio Aurellio

Always remember hearing it snap live on TV don't think he played again

The fullback for Liverpool Fabio Aurellio

Always remember hearing it snap live on TV don't think he played again

He has.

"He thought someone tackled him from behind" ?

So did someone ? And if so who ?

First of all, your rush to blame someone is pathetic. Second of all, the Achilles rupture is generally a non contact injury down to bad luck. Third of all, why would they say "thought" if someone actually did?

• Like 1

Â