Christian Benteke

Kwan

I still don't know why those who thought he would leave this summer were so confident. Words like '"face it, he's off" and "if he was staying he'd have signed by now - he's gone" were common. Was it their dodgy ITKs or their unnecessarily negative hunches?

I'm not claiming I knew he was staying, far from it, just that I couldn't see any evidence that he was definitely off as many were claiming. It seemed more prudent to wait and see.

It may have had something to do with the fact that he handed in a transfer request?
Didn't Barry during his 'nailed on to liverpool' move?

Also many of the 'he's off' comments were pre-request!

Edited by brommy

No Spurs fans around now... odd that.

but pleasant

Maybe they're searching for their missing league titles. After all they only have just the 2 :D

Just read the Spurs Board - what an amusing read :P

This might be a tad off topic.

But wouldn't it be the icing on the s**t-cake for Spurs if Barcelona snapped up Villas-Boas now that Villanova retired, followed by Bale to Real... 

on that spuds forum, they only mention £20m, was that all tottenham were prepared to offer?

They were all under the misapprehension that the two clubs would come to a 'compromise' regarding the price.

Spurs ITKs  :crylaugh:

....so was I ....isn't it just great to be wrong , sometimes.

Many factors needed to be in place to pull this off. but,Lerner and Faulkner have learned hard footballing lessons over the years and seem more prudent as a result.

Paul Lambert is a canny dealer and seems like we have a REAL club builder on our hands.

I still don't know why those who thought he would leave this summer were so confident. Words like '"face it, he's off" and "if he was staying he'd have signed by now - he's gone" were common. Was it their dodgy ITKs or their unnecessarily negative hunches?

I'm not claiming I knew he was staying, far from it, just that I couldn't see any evidence that he was definitely off as many were claiming. It seemed more prudent to wait and see.

In my case, it wasn't a negative hunch, it was just a hunch.... due to past history i.e Barry, Downing, Young ,Milner to name but a few and the whole scenario for led me to believe he was as good as gone.

What none of us knew, was how much money Spurs was willing/able to pay.....and that was the whole essence of it all.

If anybody has a spare 10 minutes,pages 111-114 of that Spurs forum are absolute quality & highly recommended.

I was going to post a few quotes but theres that many,I wouldn't be doing justice to the ones I didn' post.At least equal to the Sunderland board when we signed Bent & probably better IMO due to typical Cockney "engage mouth before operating brain" syndrome.

Hopefully one or two of the more intelligent on there will be able to see the irony of them calling us "deluded"

If anybody has a spare 10 minutes,pages 111-114 of that Spurs forum are absolute quality & highly recommended.

I was going to post a few quotes but theres that many,I wouldn't be doing justice to the ones I didn' post.At least equal to the Sunderland board when we signed Bent & probably better IMO due to typical Cockney "engage mouth before operating brain" syndrome.

Hopefully one or two of the more intelligent on there will be able to see the irony of them calling us "deluded"

have you got a link , please.

have you got a link , please.

Its the same board as previously mentioned:

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/christian-benteke.92986/page-111

Page 117 onwards is also worth a look as this is when they start to realise who the deluded ones really are. 

All those loud noises & rumbles that people may have heard at around tea time yesterday was not in fact a minor earthquake but was the result of many pennies dropping in the London & Home Counties area.

• Like 1

Just got back from holiday at 2 in the morning, checked the BBC site so I could read the article about Lowton renewing and found this also, fantastic news! I know there's nothing to say that he won't leave next summer instead, but it's great to have him here for another season with the potential to boost our asking price for him should he go in 2014. Very much looking forward to the season!

Edited by JoshVilla

It may have had something to do with the fact that he handed in a transfer request?

As brommy says, many of those comments were before he handed in a transfer request. Some people were saying "if he was staying, he would have signed a new contract by now", despite him being on international duty, and then on holiday.

He THEN handed in the request, so those comments looked spot on. But anything can happen in football, and the optimistic (or crazy) amongst us still saw a glimmer of hope.

• Like 1

I'm still not happy with him. He handed in a transfer request and was seemingly advised (ill-advised) to force a move through to Spurs. So I'm happy that we won't lose his presence, but also I've lost my faith in him as a part of the club.

WTF? Great news. I still expect him to leave at the end of next season so I'm not that happy about Villa giving him a massive pay rise for next year when it probably won't actually help keep him - but to be honest I think it's worth it just so we have the stability we need this pre-season to really have a crack at climbing the table.

HairyHands, thanks for the advance warning :)

I'm still not happy with him. He handed in a transfer request and was seemingly advised (ill-advised) to force a move through to Spurs. So I'm happy that we won't lose his presence, but also I've lost my faith in him as a part of the club.

Maybe his agent told him to hand in a transfer request to try and get a bigger contract? 

If he really wanted to leave, I imagine he would have not gone to training like Modric...

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Â