Christian Benteke

Kwan

Hilarious how he's spent almost a year telling everyone how he loves Arsenal, but now he's desperate to play for their most bitter rivals.

I'm sure his IQ is lower than his goal total last season.

Claptrap!

He mentioned liking them when he was growing up ONCE from memory. How does that constitute spending a year telling everyone he loves them ?

Get a grip man.

you right man i also get tired of the bashing.

So your saying that Christian doesn't deserve the bashing?

no  im tired of ppl saying how bad he suddenly is and ppl who saying that they don't care over and over just to cover themself that they do care. just more evidence that they actually do care. Be happy he doesn't use the law of 1978.

Would you be sticking up for him this much if he wasn't Belgian?

would you make the same deal about this if bowery was the one who had 3 years left  and requested a transfer? no then no-one would ever speak about loyalty everyone would be glad they got rid of him. the table has 2 sides u know.

Er, doesn't quite work, that one. I think a lot of people would indeed be calling out Bowery as an ungrateful word removed in those circumstances. When a player comes in on the back of a four year deal and wants out after one season fans get pissed off.

I see you've tactfully modified your sig, Belgian guy!  :)

It's OK for you to still like him, he's a star player for your national team, after all. 

But you can see how disappointed we are.   :(

We are not one of the 'big' clubs right now, fair enough. But if players of his calibre would show some loyalty we could become one again. And he could have been a heroic part of it. 

Now we have to take two steps back, and he looks like just another mercenary. Shame. I suppose the consolation is that we make a profit on the deal, but I'd rather have a committed player. 

i understand the dissapointent im myself also dissapointed how things went. but u know Christian is pretty vulnerbale and some ppl who claim his to be his "friend" are making advandtage about that and try to make money on his back its like the whole world sees that his friend is doing that but only Christian does'nt  see it like that. also he isn't good in PR at all he'd rather give no interviews.

• Like 1

I think BOF and OBE are spot on with their observations. There are three parties involved and only one party has the power of decision. The guy who says YES or NO is the only one in a strong position here. The other two parties are both beggars at the kings table.

IMO the correct price for Benteke at this moment in time should be a price that Spurs can't afford and that no one else will currently pay. AVFC's statement at the time of Benteke's transfer request was more than reasonable, and included the words that AV were confident that Benteke would still be with us next season. That sounds like a big NO unless someone is prepared to break the bank.

Hilarious how he's spent almost a year telling everyone how he loves Arsenal, but now he's desperate to play for their most bitter rivals.

I'm sure his IQ is lower than his goal total last season.

Claptrap!

He mentioned liking them when he was growing up ONCE from memory. How does that constitute spending a year telling everyone he loves them ?

Get a grip man.

you right man i also get tired of the bashing.

So your saying that Christian doesn't deserve the bashing?

no  im tired of ppl saying how bad he suddenly is and ppl who saying that they don't care over and over just to cover themself that they do care. just more evidence that they actually do care. Be happy he doesn't use the law of 1978.

Would you be sticking up for him this much if he wasn't Belgian?

would you make the same deal about this if bowery was the one who had 3 years left  and requested a transfer? no then no-one would ever speak about loyalty everyone would be glad they got rid of him. the table has 2 sides u know.

Er, doesn't quite work, that one. I think a lot of people would indeed be calling out Bowery as an ungrateful word removed in those circumstances. When a player comes in on the back of a four year deal and wants out after one season fans get pissed off.

well u all say why does all our good players want to leave. well maybe there is something that the villa board is doing wrongly? the past 200 pages of this topic is about some twitter crap from wich we dont even know it is accurate.

Arrgghhhh please stop the multi-quotes!!!!!

Belgian guy, I can see why you might get annoyed with the Benteke bashing. He is a star in your national side, and there is an argument to say that he COULD have been misguided in this situation.

However, it needs to be noted that we know one thing for certain.

Benteke has handed in a transfer request, 1 year into a 4-year contract.

This is the main reason for the Benteke bashing, and I, for one, am happy to see it continue until this situation is resolved.

• Like 1

In Bentekes defense, if we view him as a £30m player perhaps we should pay him a wage that suits that valuation, its got to be around £70k a week. If we can ditch Bent and maybe Ireland, Given then we should have the money to up our wage for him.

i think we are a closer to Spurs than what they are to the top 4, especially if Bale goes and we keep Benteke.

Spurs never buy players from us, they can't afford them and i don't see this changing

Edited by tinker
  • Like 1

judas_zps3fb0a86c.png

Benteke signs for the Heat!

Christain Benteke today signed for the Miami Heat. In his first inerview Benteke stated that "I cannot wait to get started for the Miami Heat and show the fans in London how good I am at soccer".............

I would be really interested to know what the contract offer on the table is for Benteke. I think that's one factor which is potentially significant but often overlooked. If it's 'only' £40k a week or so then you can see how he might get agitated because he could feasibly earn twice that elsewhere. I think we should offer him £50k plus generous add-ons. Perhaps we have, who knows? Either way,  the guy kept us in the league last year and if we want to be a big club again we need to reward players who perform like that. 

• Like 2

Belgian Guy, I know it may look silly on that we won't match his wages to the likes of Bent or Ireland, but that is because the club plans to not pay any players that amount. We want them off the books completely, mainly down to their wage amounts or lack of effort, not just because of talent. I have no doubt in my mind that following the departure of Bent and Ireland, Benteke would be one of the highest earners at the club along with Agbonlahor.

Many of us see Benteke as the best striker we have had in many years, arguably since Dwight Yorke, a player you may be familiar with who left us to go to Man United.

The difference is, Benteke has only been here for 10 months and we are obviously upset with him handing in a transfer request. In fact, I think if he didn't hand in a transfer request, many of us would have understood him leaving the club to a degree as it is expected that he would move on to bigger and better things. Requesting that he is allowed to leave, or that he does not want to be here, is what we are annoyed about because it is disrespectful to the manager, the players, the fans and the club as a whole. I know you understand this though.

The other 'issue' is that it seems that Tottenham, specifically, have clearly tapped him or his agent up to a degree. If he left us for Chelsea, or Man United, even Arsenal, he would be moving his career up to the next level without a doubt. Kismet has said that he will not move to Chelsea as he doesn't want to sit on the bench, which shows a lack of belief in his own ability. Personally I think if he continued his form from last season he would easily be making the Chelsea first 11 in rotation with Lukaku, which would mean he'd be playing in the Champions League and contending for the league title! Tottenham on the other hand only have Europa League football to offer, and it was only a few years ago that we were finishing above them anyway (which is a position we are clearly trying to get back to). It isn't a huge move in my eyes, so to disrespect us for such a move confuses me.

I do believe much of this is down to his stupid agent and I agree with you that Benteke clearly does not realise that Kismet, his apparent long term friend, is only trying to make himself money.

Hopefully you understand why many people are p*ssed off.

• Like 1

I would be really interested to know what the contract offer on the table is for Benteke. I think that's one factor which is potentially significant but often overlooked. If it's 'only' £40k a week or so then you can see how he might get agitated because he could feasibly earn twice that elsewhere. I think we should offer him £50k plus generous add-ons. Perhaps we have, who knows? Either way,  the guy kept us in the league last year and if we want to be a big club again we need to reward players who perform like that. 

It was reported that we offered to double or TRIPLE his wages so I think 60K was on the table. Some reports say he'd twice agreed verbally to resign but went back on it.

judas_zps3fb0a86c.png

Christain Benteke today signed for the Miami Heat. In his first inerview Benteke stated that "I cannot wait to get started for the Miami Heat and show the fans in London how good I am at soccer".............

:o

Full Kit rocket polisher!  :P

Edited by LondonLax

judas_zps3fb0a86c.png

Yeah and the cool hand gesture to go along with it...

It was reported that we offered to double or TRIPLE his wages so I think 60K was on the table. Some reports say he'd twice agreed verbally to resign but went back on it.

There's a big difference between double and triple though isn't there? That's the thing, we don't really know. 

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move.

Fair enough, you're entitled to 'think the truth is' that Villa are in a difficult position. I'd like to know how you've come to that belief though. It must be because the player has handed in a transfer request. You seem to assume that weakens Villa's hand. It is my belief that in fact all that does is weaken Benteke's hand. If Lambert and Lerner decide the player has a particular value that must be met (and the club statement suggests they have) and that suitors have a deadline to buy him (see club statement) and that he'll be back in the squad permanently from the 2nd week of August (see club statement) then nothing changes with regards to the player's big long contract and paltry wage. It doesn't actually matter how desperate the player is to move if our chairman and manager will not be moved. The Barry saga shows you Lerner won't be moved and if you doubt Lambert's resolve ... well, then, let's see how that works out.

Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone."

I'm all for discussing it, but you'll have to educate me on how it's so strong. Ostensibly they have no plausible destination at the moment. Unlike last year when we'd met Genk's valuation, this year he has no concrete deal to push through. We've been as nice as pie to him. We accepted his transfer request and we've set out the conditions by which he will be allowed to leave. And I hate to bring it up but this is a world cup year so if you think he's going to sulk and strike come September then you'll probably be sorely mistaken there too.

If Benteke is really determined to leave, he’ll do everything he can to make Villa want to sell. This includes going on strike. This puts Villa in a very precarious position and makes this situation different to those experienced in the past with the likes of Barry and Milner. It happened to us with Berbatov, who in the end simply refused to play.

For Villa, the threat of him refusing to play is more significant than is being acknowledged in this thread. Each time it’s mentioned, it’s also pointed out that’s is WC year, so he wont do this. But that suggests you’d be happy to let him strike for the whole season, which is very unlikely to be the case. Even Man City, with all their money, relented and brought Tevez back into the fold with the hope he’s re-ignite their title challenge. If you are in a relegation fight, which most would predict without Benteke you will be, he’d be back in the team in no time. No matter how much pride is at stake, it simply isn’t worth getting relegated over, which would be catastrophic for the club.

If you look at the fixture list, Benteke might simply have to refuse to kick a ball until October and by then it might all ready be too late. He and his agent know that either his goals or quality additions to the squad are going to be key to your survival. Lambert knows it, Lerner knows it, all fans know it and Benteke/his agent certainly know it.

So come the start of the season, if Benteke is on strike refusing to play and there is a £20 million bid in the offing, don’t you honestly think Lambert will be urging Lerner to accept and Lerner will probably be pleased that his manager is doing this? If Benteke is adamant he wont play, then there does come a point when it’s simply foolish to refuse a half decent offer. Hence Benteke and his agent are in a very powerful situation.

However, everyone involved knows this, but it isn’t just Villa who have something to lose by letting this go to the wire. For buying clubs there is s significant advantage in having Benteke in their squad asap. So the buying club have a reason to pay a premium to get the deal done. This is where Villa do have some power, but not to the extent most on here seem to think and why I believe, it’s being leaked by Midlands journalists that a deal can be done at £25 million, rather than figures of £30 million+ being banded around.

If Benteke really wants to go, a deal at a lower price will almost certainly be available in the last week of the window. People can say things like “you don’t know Lerner” etc, but the reality is Lerner hasn’t been in a position like this before, so no one knows how he’ll react. In the past he’s always done what it best for Villa and is a business man after all, so in this case, the chances are very high that he and Lambert will conclude to sell is the best for Villa. They simply can’t afford to not have either their star striker of decent replacements, as the threat of relegation is too real. This simply wasn’t the case with Barry. I know most of you will reject that, but I think it’s very likely and am sure the vast majority of non Villa fans would agree.

So, if he had somewhere lined up, I think Benteke can and will leave if he really wants to. However, I doubt many clubs would want to buy him that way, as it puts them at a disadvantage concerning their own planning. I doubt Benteke wants to do it that way. I also doubt Villa want to do it that way. So something in between will most likely happen, which is why I believe this £25 million price tag is being leaked. 

judas_zps3fb0a86c.png

Yeah and the cool hand gesture to go along with it...

Are we really getting that sad?

• Like 1

I think the truth is Villa are in a difficult position and most of the power lies with Benteke and how much he wants to move.

Fair enough, you're entitled to 'think the truth is' that Villa are in a difficult position. I'd like to know how you've come to that belief though. It must be because the player has handed in a transfer request. You seem to assume that weakens Villa's hand. It is my belief that in fact all that does is weaken Benteke's hand. If Lambert and Lerner decide the player has a particular value that must be met (and the club statement suggests they have) and that suitors have a deadline to buy him (see club statement) and that he'll be back in the squad permanently from the 2nd week of August (see club statement) then nothing changes with regards to the player's big long contract and paltry wage. It doesn't actually matter how desperate the player is to move if our chairman and manager will not be moved. The Barry saga shows you Lerner won't be moved and if you doubt Lambert's resolve ... well, then, let's see how that works out.

Basically Benteks and his agents bargaining position is very strong, but no one is discussing this and hence I used the term "false tone."

I'm all for discussing it, but you'll have to educate me on how it's so strong. Ostensibly they have no plausible destination at the moment. Unlike last year when we'd met Genk's valuation, this year he has no concrete deal to push through. We've been as nice as pie to him. We accepted his transfer request and we've set out the conditions by which he will be allowed to leave. And I hate to bring it up but this is a world cup year so if you think he's going to sulk and strike come September then you'll probably be sorely mistaken there too.

If Benteke is really determined to leave, he’ll do everything he can to make Villa want to sell. This includes going on strike. This puts Villa in a very precarious position and makes this situation different to those experienced in the past with the likes of Barry and Milner. It happened to us with Berbatov, who in the end simply refused to play.

For Villa, the threat of him refusing to play is more significant than is being acknowledged in this thread. Each time it’s mentioned, it’s also pointed out that’s is WC year, so he wont do this. But that suggests you’d be happy to let him strike for the whole season, which is very unlikely to be the case. Even Man City, with all their money, relented and brought Tevez back into the fold with the hope he’s re-ignite their title challenge. If you are in a relegation fight, which most would predict without Benteke you will be, he’d be back in the team in no time. No matter how much pride is at stake, it simply isn’t worth getting relegated over, which would be catastrophic for the club.

If you look at the fixture list, Benteke might simply have to refuse to kick a ball until October and by then it might all ready be too late. He and his agent know that either his goals or quality additions to the squad are going to be key to your survival. Lambert knows it, Lerner knows it, all fans know it and Benteke/his agent certainly know it.

So come the start of the season, if Benteke is on strike refusing to play and there is a £20 million bid in the offing, don’t you honestly think Lambert will be urging Lerner to accept and Lerner will probably be pleased that his manager is doing this? If Benteke is adamant he wont play, then there does come a point when it’s simply foolish to refuse a half decent offer. Hence Benteke and his agent are in a very powerful situation.

However, everyone involved knows this, but it isn’t just Villa who have something to lose by letting this go to the wire. For buying clubs there is s significant advantage in having Benteke in their squad asap. So the buying club have a reason to pay a premium to get the deal done. This is where Villa do have some power, but not to the extent most on here seem to think and why I believe, it’s being leaked by Midlands journalists that a deal can be done at £25 million, rather than figures of £30 million+ being banded around.

If Benteke really wants to go, a deal at a lower price will almost certainly be available in the last week of the window. People can say things like “you don’t know Lerner” etc, but the reality is Lerner hasn’t been in a position like this before, so no one knows how he’ll react. In the past he’s always done what it best for Villa and is a business man after all, so in this case, the chances are very high that he and Lambert will conclude to sell is the best for Villa. They simply can’t afford to not have either their star striker of decent replacements, as the threat of relegation is too real. This simply wasn’t the case with Barry. I know most of you will reject that, but I think it’s very likely and am sure the vast majority of non Villa fans would agree.

So, if he had somewhere lined up, I think Benteke can and will leave if he really wants to. However, I doubt many clubs would want to buy him that way, as it puts them at a disadvantage concerning their own planning. I doubt Benteke wants to do it that way. I also doubt Villa want to do it that way. So something in between will most likely happen, which is why I believe this £25 million price tag is being leaked. 

As I have alluded to before many pages ago in this thread:

1. He has no legitimate grievance for which to strike. He cannot simply say 'I don't want to play for Villa anymore and I want to dishonour the 4 year contract that I willingly signed last year'.

2. Villa can afford to leave him on the sidelines for the whole season if they so wish, he is only on £20,000 per week.

3. It IS World Cup year next year and no matter what you say to the contrary he will want to be in contention for a starting place and therefore he needs to play regularly and well.

Edited by pacbuddies

Â