Christian Benteke

Kwan

Lerner did it with Barry, why several years later is it "rather unrealistic messageboard/pundit discussion"?

Because we're in a different economic environment (specific to the club rather than some general thing).

If we don't upgrade his contract, it will cost us say £5m between now and January. By then his price could be £30m if things are not going well for various top clubs strikers. Lerner and AVFC hold all the cards.

I'm sorry but the 'hold all the cards' argument is as silly as it was a few weeks ago when people were saying that he was staying for certain.

We don't. That's not to say that we don't hold any or most - perhaps we do, but we don't hold them all.

So, that's not to say that Benteke has the club over a barrel (my totally at the mercy of the player/agents may well have been over egged, tbh) but it is to say that the opposite is also not true.

We may well have come out and said that a valuation has to be met within a preseason timeframe and so on but when that timeframe goes by and M. Benteke decides that he wants to sit in Ghent (or wherever) and play gambler pinball machines rather than come back and play for us, what's we really going to do?

Lerner did it with Barry, why several years later is it "rather unrealistic messageboard/pundit discussion"?

Because we're in a different economic environment (specific to the club rather than some general thing).

If we don't upgrade his contract, it will cost us say £5m between now and January. By then his price could be £30m if things are not going well for various top clubs strikers. Lerner and AVFC hold all the cards.

I'm sorry but the 'hold all the cards' argument is as silly as it was a few weeks ago when people were saying that he was staying for certain.We don't. That's not to say that we don't hold any or most - perhaps we do, but we don't hold them all.So, that's not to say that Benteke has the club over a barrel (my totally at the mercy of the player/agents may well have been over egged, tbh) but it is to say that the opposite is also not true.We may well have come out and said that a valuation has to be met within a preseason timeframe and so on but when that timeframe goes by and M. Benteke decides that he wants to sit in Ghent (or wherever) and play gambler pinball machines rather than come back and play for us, what's we really going to do?

So by your logic; My argument is "silly" because i claim we "hold all the cards" yet by your own admission "perhaps" we hold most of the cards and you've "over egged" the claim of our being "totally at the mercy of the player/agents" is actually just as "silly"

I'm just reading and apparently any of the players who were out for a longer period due to international duty haven't traveled to Germany so at least he hasn't fallen out with Lambert so to speak. If that means anything of course. It was reported as though he'd dropped out due to the transfer request.

• Like 1

Simple as this Villa hold all the cards in this situation, either we get our valuation (25-30m) for CB or he doesn't go anywhere. With it being WC year, he (Benteke) hasn't got a choice but to preform for us or risk losing a starting place to either Vossen or Lukaku; my worry is what the fans will be like if he does appear in a claret and blue shirt again, hostile is my guess to say the least e.g. Barry's first return to VP.

Obviously he has had his head swayed too much by his agent constantly being in his ear about 'how much money he could earn at another club', but he is 22 and can make his own decisions by now, he is sadly greedy like the majority of footballers nowadays; could earn a few lessons from like Gabby or Weimann :)

• Like 1

Simple as this Villa hold all the cards in this situation, either we get our valuation (25-30m) for CB or he doesn't go anywhere. With it being WC year, he (Benteke) hasn't got a choice but to preform for us or risk losing a starting place to either Vossen or Lukaku; my worry is what the fans will be like if he does appear in a claret and blue shirt again, hostile is my guess to say the least e.g. Barry's first return to VP.

Obviously he has had his head swayed too much by his agent constantly being in his ear about 'how much money he could earn at another club', but he is 22 and can make his own decisions by now, he is sadly greedy like the majority of footballers nowadays; could earn a few lessons from like Gabby or Weimann :)

Greedy like the majority of footballers? Very few people in general turn down the chance at a couple million more a year. Plus playing at a bigger club with more attention fame, etc.  Dunno if its just terrible greed.

There's a cut off point isn't there? 18 July? Off the top of my head.

Rumours going round because he hasn't burnt his bridges with Lambert that if Spuds don't place the 25m bid he'll sign a new contract with Villa. He doesn't want Chelsea because he can't be guaranteed starts in a WC year. 

Stress on the word "Rumours" 

'Villa said he had already been given extra time off until 18 July before the transfer request was made.' (BBC Sport

Why would they do that? What other player have they given that extended break to?

Don't see why we should offer him a new contract to be honest if an appropriate bid doesn't arrive in our stated timeframe? Keep him on 20k per week till January or next summer, whenever he eventually goes, unless he comes out and states he will give his all for the club while he's still here and playing in claret and blue. 

I entirely agree with this. Any improved contract we offered should have come off the table the moment his transfer request went on to the table.

He is already on a £1m a year, has already been offered at least £2m if the reports are true and that still isn't enough to prevent him from declaring publicly he wants to be elsewhere.

If there is no sale, I hope we say "**** you. You are staying until the next window at least but we know you'll be gone as soon as someone pays the necessary fee so we aren't pay extra to reward disloyalty".

The only reason to upgrade his contract if a transfer doesn't materialise is to keep him with 3/4yrs on his contract, with bigger wages for his inevitable sale next season - where his 'value' should then be same as now.

If we kept CB on his current contract for this season, how much could we command with 2yrs remaining on his contract?

The only reason to upgrade his contract if a transfer doesn't materialise is to keep him with 3/4yrs on his contract, with bigger wages for his inevitable sale next season - where his 'value' should then be same as now.

If we kept CB on his current contract for this season, how much could we command with 2yrs remaining on his contract?

There is that to consider and obviously that's for the club to decide if it's worth it. What I absolutely would not do, though, is give him an improved contract to sign before the transfer window closes.

John Carew: "It is Benteke's loss, let him go." 10 Jul 2013 06:11

Aston Villa: John Carew says if Christian Benteke leaves it is his loss and he doesn't deserve to be at the club

PM1077715@TE161010VILL-27-1282107.jpgJohn Carew

John Carew has joined in the debate surrounding the transfer request of Aston Villa's Belgian sensation Christian Benteke.

The giant Norwegian striker has hit out at Benteke saying it will be 'his loss' if he leaves the club.

He also said that Aston Villa should let him leave if he wants to because he doesn't deserve to be at the club.

Carew became a cult hit at Villa and a big fan's favourite, he still holds the club close to his heart.

Back in January he stated that he would return to the club and play for them for free if he could.

Speaking to Dagbladet he said: " If I had time I would love to play for free for Villa. Aston Villa is my club, and I still have a very good relationship with the club and the fans.

"I try to communicate with them and keep in touch, but there’s probably a number of practical obstacles in the way of a free transfer back to Villa."

MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

The problem with selling Benteke is showing weakness from manager and club. Yes it happens all the time at every club.. but after 10 months is a joke. Lambert could possibly have other players who star and do the same. He needs to stamp it out and use Benteke as a lesson to other players who even consider it.

Reject anything under 30 million. Stick him in the reserves for a few months until he shows some pride and apologies to Lambo. Make sure we give him a bit of a scare for his world cup campaign on the brink.

The rest of the players will take notice that Lambert or Villa will not be **** with. Im sick of these players constantly doing this to our club over the years. Time we made a stance. We can always sell him in January or next season and still get good money for him.

• Like 4

The problem with selling Benteke is showing weakness from manager and club. Yes it happens all the time at every club.. but after 10 months is a joke. Lambert could possibly have other players who star and do the same. He needs to stamp it out and use Benteke as a lesson to other players who even consider it.

Reject anything under 30 million. Stick him in the reserves for a few months until he shows some pride and apologies to Lambo. Make sure we give him a bit of a scare for his world cup campaign on the brink.

The rest of the players will take notice that Lambert or Villa will not be **** with. Im sick of these players constantly doing this to our club over the years. Time we made a stance. We can always sell him in January or next season and still get good money for him.

Yeah I'd back this - there has to be some sense of honouring your contract and if the club just let him go then it sets a precedent.

Incidentally what do people make of this: 

Can report unrest from within the Benteke camp, I'm hearing one advisor taking the other to court for £90,000 over his Villa move!

I know he's the SSN reporter but is what he says generally reliable or is he like a twitter version of the mail?

Sorry that is not realistic.

The strategy of the club right now is to attract these young players to develop them and hopefully develop us. A large part of attracting the lung talent is them having the chance to shine and move on, we accept that as a club and the players coming here do too.

If we now play hard ball as some want us to or in some way look to be reneging on the deal, who are we going to attract in future?

• Like 1

I honestly think there is something else in this. He trusts his agent 100%, he's practically said so in interviews so you'd assume he'd do whatever he says because his agent knows best in his eyes.

I have no problem with benteke leaving so long as we get a big fee.

but if he's leaving to further his career then he should look at ashley young, gareth barry and james milner all billy big balls thinking leaving villa would make them world class and all three are bit part players and their careers have taken backwatd steps.

so by all means leave with us getting a bucket of cash, but it'll destroy your carer not make it as you're really not as good as you think you are

Wait, am I reading this right? All 3 have won premier league titles and are all regulars in the england squad when fit. Barry and Milner especially! Not to mention training and playing with some of the best in the world. Backward steps? Ha.

Football careers are short, players want to play at the highest level possible as soon as possible, they want to earn as much as possible also. Benteke has been here a year, he has no affiliation to us like us fans, thats football. All you can ask is that while the players have a Villa shirt on they do their part for the club and that he did magnificently.

Â