Jores Okore

Jesperchr

It also shows the folly of only signing one new centre back when we have possibly the worst defence in our history. Lambert is incompetent at times.

Again, I don't mind criticism but it should be fair. There's nothing wrong with going into a season with 4 recognised centre backs. We seem to be criticising Lambert now because we are having to use our strength in depth. That's what it's there for.
  • Like 3

It also shows the folly of only signing one new centre back when we have possibly the worst defence in our history. Lambert is incompetent at times.

Again, I don't mind criticism but it should be fair. There's nothing wrong with going into a season with 4 recognised centre backs. We seem to be criticising Lambert now because we are having to use our strength in depth. That's what it's there for.

This is the worst defence the club has had in years yet Lambert in his wisdom thought it only warranted strengthening with a 20 year old centreback. Clark and Baker have made one cock up after another and have proven that they're not really up tp the Premier League, yet here we are again looking at struggling through the season with these two amateurs in the team. They're not good enough. 26 games without a clean sheet proves that. As I said earlier, Lambert can be incompetent at times.

This is the worst defence the club has had in years yet Lambert in his wisdom thought it only warranted strengthening with a 20 year old centreback. Clark and Baker have made one cock up after another and have proven that they're not really up tp the Premier League, yet here we are again looking at struggling through the season with these two amateurs in the team. They're not good enough. 26 games without a clean sheet proves that. As I said earlier, Lambert can be incompetent at times.

Why does it matter if Okore is 20? He already looked better than anything else we have at CB.

I agree with BOF, this can't really be used as a stick to beat Lambert with.

Can someone do a check, in those 26games, how many times we've had a consecutive CB pairing, i.e. whats the highest games of a combination.

CC / NB W 3-1 v Liv

CC / NB L 0-8 v Che

CC / NB L 0-4 v Tot

CC / EL L 0-3 v Wig

CC / JB D 2-2 v Swa (ES & ML played too. Not sure who was CB as 3 of them are fullbacks)

CC / NB L 0-1 v Sou

CC / RV D 2-2 v WBA

CC / RV L 1-2 v New

CC / RV D 3-3 v Eve

CC / RV W 2-1 v WHU

CC / NB L 1-2 v Ars

CC / NB L 0-1 v MCi

CC / RV W 2-1 v Rea

CC / RV W 3-2 v QPR

RV / NB L 1-2 v Liv

RV / NB W 3-1 v Sto

RV / NB D 1-1 v Ful

RV / NB L 0-3 v MU

RV / NB W 6-1 v Sou

RV / NB W 2-1 v Nor

RV / NB L 1-2 v Che

RV / NB D 2-2 v Wig

-------------------

RV / NB W 3-1 v Ars (CC played from 17 mins)

RV / CC L 1-2 v Che

RV / JO L 0-1 v Liv

RV / JO L 1-2 v New

From that we can see that the Vlaar/Baker partnership is the most consecutive.

I think you've totally missed the point of the post you're commenting on to be fair.

Why does it matter if Okore is 20? He already looked better than anything else we have at CB.

You're missing the point. Lambert should have a complete overhaul of the central defence but he didn't. He signed one player and kept faith with the muppets who have provided us with one of our worst ever defences.

You're missing the point. Lambert should have a complete overhaul of the central defence but he didn't. He signed one player and kept faith with the muppets who have provided us with one of our worst ever defences.

You have to ask yourself whether a complete overhaul was necessary and whether it was realistic given our resources. Personally I think our defensive issues have just as much to do with the style of play and the lack of cover from midfield than they do with the quality of the CBs.

You have to ask yourself whether a complete overhaul was necessary and whether it was realistic given our resources. Personally I think our defensive issues have just as much to do with the style of play and the lack of cover from midfield than they do with the quality of the CBs.

The priority should be the defence and a midfield playmaker yet Lambert went out and spent up to £7m on a striker, which is probably the one area we already had strength in. If we struggle at the back this season it'll be down to the manager and no one else. Edited by avfc1982

I think you've totally missed the point of the post you're commenting on to be fair.

In hindsight I probably should have elaborated more. I didn't miss the point. I disagree with the notion that what we've got isn't up to scratch so I disagree with the notion that we throw out what we've got in central defence and start largely from scratch. The defence must be seen and commented on in the context of the whole team. Last season's defence was poor because last season's team was learning. Particularly pre-Sylla, the defence was exposed to a lot more than it should have been and it struggled badly. That doesn't automatically make the defenders bad defenders.

It could have been reasonably assumed that this season with a more mature midfield in front of it and some strengthening both to the midfield and to the defence that they'd be better than they were without throwing the baby out with the bath water. Clark appears to have come on as has Baker. Okore is better than both of those and Vlaar has looked better alongside Okore. So from that point of view I think 4 centre backs was fine. We can disagree on how good we think they are (and we clearly do), but I think the discussion has a broader scope that takes the overall maturity of the team into account aswell so I'm OK with the 4 we have. Which now looks to be 3, but that's football.

i still wont believe this unitl i see a source or club comment. He wouldnt have been standing if was a serious injury

I agree

I disagree having suffered 2 ACL injuries. It depends on whether it has snapped or torn. If it's snaped it's a complete replacement of the ligament using either a hamstring or patella graft, if it's torn it can be repaired. I first snapped and then later tore my ACL. I couldn't walk when I snapped it but walked around with just a tear.

Either way you can't rush the rehab so it would be a minimum 6 months for the repair and probably 9 months for a replacement.

Edited by Robbie09

Â