Drugs

PussEKatt

On 21/06/2019 at 16:54, rjw63 said:

Yeah probably the baccy. Although I've also used cannabis oil, rubbed it on my gums. Took about 4 hours for anything to happen, then I was **** for 24 hours.

Me and my son actually made the cannabis oil in my kitchen, for my dad who had cancer, Typically the old scrote wouldn't take it :(

My dad who had lung cancer refused medical cannabis and oxycontin and died with his boots on (metaphorically, but he did wear boots all the time!)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

My dad who had lung cancer refused medical cannabis and oxycontin and died with his boots on (metaphorically, but he did wear boots all the time!)

Isn’t OxyContin basically Heroin? I’ve heard it being referred to as hillbilly Heroin. 

• Like 2

I doing Dry July here in Oz, giving up alcohol for 31 days to raise money for cancer. Ive decided as life long pot head to give up that as well for the month. 

I will be spending a lot of time in the boring thread in July 😂 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/06/2019 at 11:46, Rugeley Villa said:

My wife is up Glasgow to watch Pink. 

Just hope she doesn't fall fast asleep !

On 27/06/2019 at 14:47, Villan_of_oz said:

I doing Dry July here in Oz, giving up alcohol for 31 days to raise money for cancer. Ive decided as life long pot head to give up that as well for the month. 

I will be spending a lot of time in the boring thread in July 😂 

Fair dinkum, mate. Good on ya! A month is a solid effort for a life long smoker to go cold.

I gave up after 7 years smoking daily about 9 years ago. Each to their own, very rarely is better for me. After so many years I got sick of it, but every now and then can be nice.

Speaking of the boring thread. People tell me all South Australia is good for is pot and churches, and that's it. Being stoned at a church would have to be the pinnacle of boring?

I know better than that. Life's not so boring in South Australia. You can always go visit everyone's favourite, Kimba's big cock (there's a giant cockatoo statue in Kimba people!)

Seriously though, I have some actual exposure to South Australian life, the little desert, beaches (I've been to Robe), and the back-to-back '97, '98 victories for the Crows.

Andrew McCleod is still the greatest I've seen ever. Absolutely robbed of the Brownlow.

54 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Fair dinkum, mate. Good on ya! A month is a solid effort for a life long smoker to go cold.

I gave up after 7 years smoking daily about 9 years ago. Each to their own, very rarely is better for me. After so many years I got sick of it, but every now and then can be nice.

Speaking of the boring thread. People tell me all South Australia is good for is pot and churches, and that's it. Being stoned at a church would have to be the pinnacle of boring?

I know better than that. Life's not so boring in South Australia. You can always go visit everyone's favourite, Kimba's big cock (there's a giant cockatoo statue in Kimba people!)

Seriously though, I have some actual exposure to South Australian life, the little desert, beaches (I've been to Robe), and the back-to-back '97, '98 victories for the Crows.

Andrew McCleod is still the greatest I've seen ever. Absolutely robbed of the Brownlow.

Cheers mate, but I've given up alcohol for the month 😁

And yes our pot is very good 😂

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

People who say cannabis is not addictive are full of it. 

Well you're entitled to your opinion, but it's incorrect.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

People who say cannabis is not addictive are full of it. 

Define addictive? 

There is virtually no medical-based info on it in terms of actual physical addiction. Dependency is a different thing and the two are often lumped together incorrectly. 

It doesn’t cause physical addiction in the same way nicotine or heroin does for example, but people can become dependant on it. Problem with dependency is how it’s defined. Are you ‘dependant’ on something because mentally you feel you can’t cope without it, or are you dependant because your body physically needs the drug/chemical? 

There are reports about people suffering side-effects from withdrawal, but they are limited and often cite extreme examples of people that literally smoked from the moment they get up, to the moment they go to bed.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Define addictive? 

There is virtually no medical-based info on it in terms of actual physical addiction. Dependency is a different thing and the two are often lumped together incorrectly. 

It doesn’t cause physical addiction in the same way nicotine or heroin does for example, but people can become dependant on it. Problem with dependency is how it’s defined. Are you ‘dependant’ on something because mentally you feel you can’t cope without it, or are you dependant because your body physically needs the drug/chemical? 

There are reports about people suffering side-effects from withdrawal, but they are limited and often cite extreme examples of people that literally smoked from the moment they get up, to the moment they go to bed.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's not addictive! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

This depends of the context surely? Some people almost can't go to sleep without having a joint first. It's not like normal nicotine addiction, but it's clearly an aspect that needs considering before refuting people can't get dependant on it. 

17 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

This depends of the context surely? Some people almost can't go to sleep without having a joint first. It's not like normal nicotine addiction, but it's clearly an aspect that needs considering before refuting people can't get dependant on it. 

I agree with you but that's not addiction. 

1 hour ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Why not? If you need a spesific substance to sleep well, isn't that an addiction? 

It’s a massive debate that. 

As per my initial reply to @maqroll, to start with - what is your definition of addiction vs dependancy? 

Is the substance itself physically addictive, or are we dealing with a more complex mental situation, whereby people develop dependencies that are not necessarily physical in nature (although may cause physical symptoms)? 

There isn’t a clear answer, partly because people see addiction and dependancy as the same thing, when in reality they can be completely different. 

Take ‘drugs’ out of it for a moment. Take a fat person, clinically obese by medical definition and with no underlying condition - they are just a greedy fat person who loves sugary food. There is some evidence to suggest that people can become addicted to sugar, but more often than not - it’s a mental thing. That ‘mental thing’ could be one of, or a combination of things like; A lack of self control, depression/anxiety with food being the ‘comfort’ etc etc. Is food creating the addiction/are they addicted to the food, or are they dependant on it for other reasons? Appreciate it’s not an amazing analogy, but hopefully you get the point?

Edit: Also - where do you start with things like Sex/Gambling ‘addictions’ - there’s no external drug/chemical involved, so is it really an addiction to the ‘thing’ or a mental issue causing somebody to become dependant on the act of betting/shagging? 

@AVFCDAN makes a good point about routine - sometimes it can just be that. 

From my own perspective, I would say I have a ‘dependancy’ in certain situations. For example, If I am away with work or on holiday and the environment is not somewhere I would ‘have a smoke’ then I genuinely don’t even think about it. I have no trouble sleeping or any other withdrawal symptoms when I have to abstain for whatever reason be it for a day or weeks. If I was at home, where I would normally expect to have a smoke in the evening and didn’t have any, I’d be thinking about it and would want one. So in that sense, I don’t believe I have any kind of physical addiction to the substance, but I have a routine when I am at home and if that routine is interrupted, I’d be more conscious about not having it. 

Edited by wazzap24

1 hour ago, wazzap24 said:

@AVFCDAN makes a good point about routine - sometimes it can just be that. 

From my own perspective, I would say I have a ‘dependancy’ in certain situations. For example, If I am away with work or on holiday and the environment is not somewhere I would ‘have a smoke’ then I genuinely don’t even think about it. I have no trouble sleeping or any other withdrawal symptoms when I have to abstain for whatever reason be it for a day or weeks. If I was at home, where I would normally expect to have a smoke in the evening and didn’t have any, I’d be thinking about it and would want one. So in that sense, I don’t believe I have any kind of physical addiction to the substance, but I have a routine when I am at home and if that routine is interrupted, I’d be more conscious about not having it. 

It works the same for me with tobacco. I genuinely don't think I am addicted to the nicotine its just the habit of smoking. I can happily go 24-48 hours without a roll up if I choose to. If I'm in situations where I can't smoke then it doesn't bother me. Tell me not to have my usual smoke break at work though and I would get irritated no doubt. For me that is habit/routine rather than addiction. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Cannabis use can become an all-consuming compulsion. It's a psychoactive substance that while medically beneficial, and generally safe, can be abused. I should know. It's hard to drive by the dispensary without stopping. If I have a cone of Blue Dream, it will likely be smoked in it's entirety in one night while chasing a high. And sometimes that means augmenting things by drinking, so there's that danger as well. The compulsion can feel similar to drinking, cocaine and gambling. 

• Like 1

As a recovering addict (to a very nasty illegal substance) I personally believe that any habit, including cannabis, can be "addictive" if it finds the right victim, and most people who have beaten an addiction to "physically addictive" substances like cocaine or heroin will continue to display addictive behaviours - to exercise, coffee, work, sex, whatever.

We don't know enough about the human brain to define all this stuff properly. It's obviously a confluence of social, circumstantial, psychological, medical, genetic factors, and no two people experience addiction in the same way.

Cocaine, for example, is said to be less addictive than nicotine. It doesn't have strong physical withdrawal effects - you can return to "normal life" after a decent sleep. However, it is incredibly difficult for many users to stop a single line of cocaine turning into a 24-hour+ binge, something which never happens with cigarettes. This can trigger psychosis, heart attacks, strokes, etc. even in young, healthy, infrequent users. So defining its danger purely by its supposed "addictiveness" seems reductive to me. Like any drug it has a complex set of primary effects and side effects that differ by user.

The same complexity applies to cannabis. I'm troubled a bit by people who promote it as some sort of wonder drug. Yes, it's a relatively safe drug for most people, and I probably support legalisation, but there are plenty of people who've disappeared into a rabbit hole of paranoia and depression largely due to a cannabis habit. I find it quite disturbing how big business interests are exploiting the hippy mythology around cannabis to exploit ordinary consumers. It's no different from people who promote goji berry smoothies as a cure for cancer. It's reductive, unscientific bulls**t.

• Like 1

Â