Drugs

PussEKatt

11 minutes ago, Xela said:

What is there to be addicted to in painkillers? Lack of pain! :P  Its a valid question... its like any drug, you get a dependancy to how it makes you feel and it becomes a necessity to get through your day. What would happen if i didn't take one? Joint pain... the feeling of your ankle, knee, elbow joints on fire... feeling like you've been run over or done over with a baseball bat.. All that pain is taken away with a pill and in 20 mins your joints feel fine and you can go about your day. No different to how heroin or cocaine users feel if they're coming down from their drug. Painkillers like cocodamol (codeine and paracetamol mixed) is an opiate (like heroin) and once taken converts to morphine in the brain making you content and in a dreamy state. I was on cocodamol for a few weeks with tendonitis and I was like a space cadet! 

I've personally been really lucky so far, made it in to my 50's without anything substantial happening health wise. 

But I had one minor op where they gave me a couple of valium and then chatted to me all through the op. I was perfectly relaxed and happy to chat but didn't believe they'd actually worked*. They stitched me up and gave me a handful more valium and painkillers to take home to self medicate for a few days should I feel the need.

It would have been so easy to pop all the freebies. So I can completely see how an actual recurring pain that is relieved with meds can very quickly flip in to a dependancy and then once its all up in our head you're in a lot of trouble.

* looking back, they clearly had worked as the conversation went something like this:

nurse: can you feel the effect of the valium?

me: nope, nothing.

nurse: ok, well drop your pants and we'll start the vasectomy with you watching on

me: righto!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers Ruge! I know its not as rock n roll as a skag habit but its a big problem in 'middle class' Britain. 

How you getting on?

Naff all Rock N Roll about skag 🙂

Drinking too much, but I’m all good bud. Have you told any of your close friends or family ? 

5 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Have you told any of your close friends or family ? 

Nah, not really. They know bits and pieces. Its amazing how easy it is to keep secrets from your nearest and dearest when you are an addict. 

13 minutes ago, Xela said:

Nah, not really. They know bits and pieces. Its amazing how easy it is to keep secrets from your nearest and dearest when you are an addict. 

Yeah I know what you mean mate. I still crave most days, but I’m strong enough now to battle it harder. Glad you’re ok anyway and through the worst of it as you say. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cheers Mike. Seeing my doc on Wednesday so will discuss it then, but think (or hope!) i'm over the worst of it now. 

Good stuff. Out of iinterest, why are you getting joint pain? Has your doctor considered testing for rheumatoid arthritis? 

21 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Good stuff. Out of iinterest, why are you getting joint pain? Has your doctor considered testing for rheumatoid arthritis? 

Funnily enough I have been referred - waiting for an appointment. 

44 minutes ago, Xela said:

Funnily enough I have been referred - waiting for an appointment. 

Wait, what? You've been on prescription painkillers for TWENTY YEARS without any investigation of the causes??? 

22 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wait, what? You've been on prescription painkillers for TWENTY YEARS without any investigation of the causes??? 

Sorry, misread the question and only answered part of it! I know what causes the pain - it is the curvature of the spine and mild ankylosing spondylitis, which was diagnosed at a later date (it causes inflammation of the spine). The referral I've had is for further investigation to see if has got worse (the AK) and if I have symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis

What I want is to get away from the dependancy of the pills. Its like taking asprin every day just in case you get a headache. Its proven (so far) that I don't need to take them every day. Yes, there may be times when I need them, a 'flare up', for example, but for just getting through everyday life i don't want to be dependant on them as I don't know what damage they are causing my insides. If it means I have to put up with a bit more discomfort from everyday aches and pains, then so be it :)

Edited by Xela

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Just got a jar of sobril for travel anxiety. Popped a couple last night to see how it affects me, and I quite enjoyed that. It's like all the bullshit in the world just disappeared. 

I'd be inclined to reconsider that stuff if I were you, benzodiazepines are absolutely horrible for you, some very short-term use cases aside. They can be highly addictive,  bad for your mentally/ physical, a lot of evidence suggests increased dementia risk as well. Also never mix with alcohol or recreational drugs, benzo's will increase the toxicity of them..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Sorry, misread the question and only answered part of it! I know what causes the pain - it is the curvature of the spine and mild ankylosing spondylitis, which was diagnosed at a later date (it causes inflammation of the spine). The referral I've had is for further investigation to see if has got worse (the AK) and if I have symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis

What I want is to get away from the dependancy of the pills. Its like taking asprin every day just in case you get a headache. Its proven (so far) that I don't need to take them every day. Yes, there may be times when I need them, a 'flare up', for example, but for just getting through everyday life i don't want to be dependant on them as I don't know what damage they are causing my insides. If it means I have to put up with a bit more discomfort from everyday aches and pains, then so be it :)

image.png.3eb1ae23bb6a43805f06ec3a5436a7b6.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd be inclined to reconsider that stuff if I were you, benzodiazepines are absolutely horrible for you, some very short-term use cases aside. They can be highly addictive,  bad for your mentally/ physical, a lot of evidence suggests increased dementia risk as well. Also never mix with alcohol or recreational drugs, benzo's will increase the toxicity of them..

Well they made me sleep like a baby. Which is nice

15 hours ago, Xela said:

If you get diagnosed with RA, there is a huge range of drugs available - my missus has it, and is managing it quite well with minimal use of NSADs. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well they made me sleep like a baby. Which is nice

I know, I've used them in the past. Although they don't make you sleep, they sedate you and sleeping and sedation are different states, with sedation being far less beneficial than sleep. Bottom line with benzo's, use very sparingly, else you will get into a world of trouble.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Definitely agree with this. Short term use ok, but long term use and you’re playing with fire. I’ve hrard the withdrawals can be terrible too. 

• 1 month later...

PCP.

I can recommend reading up on Edgewood, which this is taken from. The US military doing absolutely mental experiments on troops with stuff like crazy doses of LSD, giving them prototype drugs that were nuclear bombs to acid's dynamite, and even using nerve agents on them.

Predates MKULTRA, and while maybe not as sinister, still completely batshit insane.

Benzos are good for short term. 

They are very comfortable to use, in the long term they aliviate your symptoms without dealing with your problems. It should be used in cooperation with a therapist, psycatrist and or psychopharmacists. They're a great tool if administered properly. Too many GPs write out prescription without giving it too much thought. Once you've used them for a while they're hard to get off, as the symptoms of withdrawal usually gives you anxiety, restlessness, lack of sleep and other uncomfortable effects. Hence many people struggle getting of it by themselves. Not only does the world come rushing back, it comes with all the abstinence, which has the symptoms you were trying to get rid of in the first place. Needs(should be) to be done with a plan, cutting down the dosage slowly. That's not to take away the great clinical effect they have in short term treatment in acute psycriatic cases. 

5 hours ago, Skruff said:

Benzos are good for short term. 

They are very comfortable to use, in the long term they aliviate your symptoms without dealing with your problems. It should be used in cooperation with a therapist, psycatrist and or psychopharmacists. They're a great tool if administered properly. Too many GPs write out prescription without giving it too much thought. Once you've used them for a while they're hard to get off, as the symptoms of withdrawal usually gives you anxiety, restlessness, lack of sleep and other uncomfortable effects. Hence many people struggle getting of it by themselves. Not only does the world come rushing back, it comes with all the abstinence, which has the symptoms you were trying to get rid of in the first place. Needs(should be) to be done with a plan, cutting down the dosage slowly. That's not to take away the great clinical effect they have in short term treatment in acute psycriatic cases. 

Not clear to me how they can be good in the short term but confer positive long term effects? Doesn't make sense. They're absolutely ruinous if used long term, highly, addictive and tolerance builds quickly . Also some research has shown a lot of negative side effects for short term use, including significant cognitive impairment which almost certainly kicks in long term, they also worsen anxiety disorders, insomnia, depression and suicidal ideation long term. 'Long-term use' of benzos is actually just a couple of weeks continuously on them.

If they work for you then fine but there's a lot of side effects and problems with them, to say the least.

Â