Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

The worst player we have signed since balaban.

Balaban wasn't too bad a player. We've had far worse players since who started regularly. He scored plenty of goals both before and after us, like Savo

His performance as a sub away to Southampton ranks up there among the worst things I've ever seen in football.

Curcic > Tonev

Thought Curcic was actually a very good player. Saw him in Stoodie Bakers once. Such a big nose.

Anyone remember that free kick he scored when he flicked it up and volleyed into the net?

Wasn't the flicked up and volleyed free-kick scored by Mark Draper?

Perhaps there were two.

Curcic > Tonev

Thought Curcic was actually a very good player. Saw him in Stoodie Bakers once. Such a big nose.

Anyone remember that free kick he scored when he flicked it up and volleyed into the net?

Wasn't the flicked up and volleyed free-kick scored by Mark Draper?

Perhaps there were two.

I stand corrected - it was Draper.

He did score a screamer once though.

• Like 1

Personally I think he's the worst I can remember, I guess that stretches back to about 95.

Worst signing maybe, but nowhere close to worst player. It's worth noting there's a HUGE difference

Worst player for me. Who is worse? Boulding maybe, he was pretty bad, but at least he tried to pass to his team mates rather than just hoofing it out of play. Salifou put in a couple of decent performances for us. although he clearly wasn't cut out for this level long term. Tonev is just comically bad. 

Sorry, i was on about Balaban

Does anyone know what he actually said to the player?

Well Shay Logan claims that Tonev called him a "black c***". The problem is that it wasn't heard by anybody else and the TV cameras failed to pick it up, so it basically boils down to the word of one person against another.

Does anyone know what he actually said to the player?

Well Shay Logan claims that Tonev called him a "black c***". The problem is that it wasn't heard by anybody else and the TV cameras failed to pick it up, so it basically boils down to the word of one person against another.

If the only evidence is the word of one person contradicting the testimony of another person, how can this case go any further than an accusation? Unless other evidence exists or Tonev admits the accusation (unlikely), I don't see how a punishment can be given.

According to this:

And it’s understood the governing body are prepared to hammer the Bulgarian on the ‘balance of probability’ - even if there are no witnesses or audio evidence of the alleged remark.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2762743/Aleksandar-Tonev-charged-alleged-use-abusive-language-racist-nature.html

Pretty ridiculous if so as nobody should ever be charged for something based on a probability.

• 4 weeks later...

If there really is no evidence (just the word of one player contradicting the word of another player), Celtic could keep appealing until the judgement is made under civil law instead of by a sports body. With no evidence, would the case stand up in court? Absolutely no chance.

From what I've read on it, this is completely flimsy and he has been found guilty purely on their principle of 'the balance of probability', i.e. it is unlikely that Logan would make such a thing up.

I for one will not be condemning him as a racist unless he is found guilty in a court of law. Which as brommy points out, such a case would never have gone too.

From what I've read on it, this is completely flimsy and he has been found guilty purely on their principle of 'the balance of probability', i.e. it is unlikely that Logan would make such a thing up.

I for one will not be condemning him as a racist unless he is found guilty in a court of law. Which as brommy points out, such a case would never have gone too.

Not necessarily.

I'm an employment lawyer and have handled many race/sex discrimination claims in the Tribunal. A large proportion of them involve 'he said / she said' arguments and the role of the tribunal is to decide which person should be believed. A case will not be rejected just because the only two witnesses to the comment were the alleged perpetrator and the alleged victim.

The SFA obviously weren't impressed with the way Tonev gave evidence in comparison to Logan. Given that Tonev's English may be limited he was probably at a disadvantage from the outset.

Not necessarily.

I'm an employment lawyer and have handled many race/sex discrimination claims in the Tribunal. A large proportion of them involve 'he said / she said' arguments and the role of the tribunal is to decide which person should be believed. A case will not be rejected just because the only two witnesses to the comment were the alleged perpetrator and the alleged victim.

The SFA obviously weren't impressed with the way Tonev gave evidence in comparison to Logan. Given that Tonev's English may be limited he was probably at a disadvantage from the outset.

Ah, I see, fair enough. The problem I have with that is that deciding who you do and do not believe is completely subjective and differs from person to person. I just wouldn't be comfortable personally with conclusively labelling someone of something like this based on such a premise.

• Like 1

The word of one person believed above the word of another based on how the different accounts were represented - doesn't sit right with me. I've applied the principle to my two kids when they were 8 and 10, but the worst outcome was an innocent kid spent a boring hour in their room. If the principle applies in UK courts, is this why rape victims are advised to wear frumpy clothing to court as an above the knee skirt indicates 'she was asking for it'?

Edited by brommy

Â