Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

If we keep Benteke then that will both be a huge statement and it will feel like a new signing. Then we need to give new contracts to Weimann, Westwood, Lowton and Guzan.

If we keep these players then we should focus on getting a good CB in first and foremost. Then we can think about other positions.

Agreed a new starting centre back means that Clark can cover Vlaar + new guy and Baker can cover/start at LB and cover CB as well. However this means that the CB must be experienced and quality. Our wage structure may limit this.

Lichaj at the moment is a better left back than Bennett.

Absolute nonsense. Lichaj at LB is an absolute abomination. He's fine at RB, but a fish out of water on the other side.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Lambert will also have to consider how many other kids are ready to step up. He would not want to block the paths of Grealish, J Graham, Donacien etc. Depends who he rates/if their ready. I would imagine the door to go will be wide open.

I think the best ting would be to get rid of the old "youngsters" that have not made it. Bannan, Albrighton, Herd and Clark. Maybe a bit harsh, but that is how I see it.

A few months ago I would have put Delph in that bracket too, but he has shown that he is good enough in the last matches we have had.

Lambert will also have to consider how many other kids are ready to step up. He would not want to block the paths of Grealish, J Graham, Donacien etc. Depends who he rates/if their ready. I would imagine the door to go will be wide open.

I think the best ting would be to get rid of the old "youngsters" that have not made it. Bannan, Albrighton, Herd and Clark. Maybe a bit harsh, but that is how I see it.

A few months ago I would have put Delph in that bracket too, but he has shown that he is good enough in the last matches we have had.

Clark hasn't made it?

Edited by sexbelowsound

The squad balance is still a problem.

There are still too many players with too few games under their belts, and in defence this is most keenly felt - we need a CB with more experience, even if he is just a reserve for Vlaar.

Having said that, the players have the experience of this past season and that is a massive plus for next year.

We are fine at GK, but hugely over budget. Hopefully we can sort this out in the summer.

As said earlier, we need more experience at CB, and PL will need to decide on LB. Will Bennett come good next year? Is Stevens a good enough back-up? Personally I would resign Lichaj to cover for Lowton.

Midfielder is a mess. Our first choice 3 are looking OK, but we should try and improve upon these and this will mean at least one of these being relegated to the bench, which is a good thing. We have far too many CMs on the books; Westwood, Delph, Sylla, Bannan, Ireland, Herd, KEA, Gardner, plus those stepping up fro the youth team competing for 2 or 3 slots is crazy on our budget. This area needs emptying, and for me KEA, Herd, Bannan and Ireland can go, and be replaced by new starter and those from the u21s.

The front 3 are fine, and presumably the plan is to keep these.

Bent is way too expensive for the bench, so we need to get rid and replace - whether internally or buy I just don't know!

Plan B would seem to be to bring on an ACM for a CM - if this is N'Zog, fine - he can stay! So can Bowery, who will be inexpensive and an option out wide.

However, I cannot see a place for the Fonz, Albrighton or Holman in the squad, and presumably Dawkins will be packed off but I believe there are a couple of youngsters in the u21s who would fancy a chance, so perhaps again we could see 4 out and maybe only 1 in upfront.

I'd be happy to see calamity Clark moved on after watching his performances this season.

Yep

There is a risk that he may move on and develop into a fine player - but he hasn't shown much evidence of that on the pitch. - But basically if an offer much over £2m came in, I would let him go.

I wouldn't let Clark go. Don't understand why Baker gets a free pass for his numerous errors and scapegoat Clark doesn't.

Calamity Clark? Best thing about this gif is Clark's reaction - double facepalm! when the fail is that bad one palm is not enough

iBmc0H8mfHXeY.gif

Because Baker makes up for it with crunching tackles and being strong in the air as well as showing that he can learn from his mistakes and hasn't done anything that daft (bar the Suarez tackle)

Meanwhile, Clark is off trying to do another cryuff turn whilst surrounded by 3 attackers

I wouldn't let Clark go. Don't understand why Baker gets a free pass for his numerous errors and scapegoat Clark doesn't.

Calamity Clark? Best thing about this gif is Clark's reaction - double facepalm! when the fail is that bad one palm is not enough

iBmc0H8mfHXeY.gif

Clark has barely improved at all despite over double the number of games over Baker. Baker has made errors, but his general defending is better. I think the errors will disappear in time as he is visibly growing as a player and he's already better than Clark.

First out of the season has already happened: Rennes signed Jean II Makoun for 1/2 million pounds according to transfermarkt. :)

**** me, did we only have to pay them £0.5m ;)

First out of the season has already happened: Rennes signed Jean II Makoun for 1/2 million pounds according to transfermarkt. :)

It happened back in March didn't it. The deal officially goes through at the end of the season.

Does anyone follow this guy on Twitter? Howard Hodgson

He seems to talk about alot of players moving out and how Lambert will spend money next season.

I can tell you that Howard is higly reliable with his info.  I'm pretty sure he was banned on here?