samjp26

If there's not much left in the kitty after 

a. our massive cutbacks

b. a net spend of about 10m

c. the new sky money coming in

we might as well pack the **** up

it doesn't add up at all

Hmmm, indeed.

I do like the way the club is going, and fully appreciate what Lambert is doing, but this summer has seen us spend less than any of the promoted teams, or those who finished around us last year, with the exception of Newcastle.

dont think Stoke have spent much either

True. But the point remains that supposedly lesser teams are spending far more than we are. Whether they are spending it wisely remains to be seen, but we should atleast be able to match their spending if Lambert has identified players like Kiyotake that he would like to bring in.

I understand there is'nt a bottomless pit of money, but I would have thought Lerner could be persuaded to stretch it that extra few yards for the right player.  We did some excellent business buying Okore and Benteke, but tbh we got lucky there and, besides, given their potential sell-on values I would'nt see spending a few extra bucks as being that much of a risk.

Perhaps we should wait until the transfer window has closed before moaning about the lack of spending? We spent about £8m on deadline day last year.

Like I said, I'll wait until the window shuts until I get worried, I would find it very odd if our business was concluded already.

a. our massive cutbacks

it doesn't add up at all

Hmmm, indeed.

I do like the way the club is going, and fully appreciate what Lambert is doing, but this summer has seen us spend less than any of the promoted teams, or those who finished around us last year, with the exception of Newcastle.

And beat Arsenal away first game of the season. 

Turn in two performances away at Chelsea and at home to Liverpool that on other days with better refereeing performances would have seen us unbeaten with 9pts from 9. 

It ain't what you spend its how you spend it. 

a. our massive cutbacks

it doesn't add up at all

Hmmm, indeed.

And beat Arsenal away first game of the season. 

Turn in two performances away at Chelsea and at home to Liverpool that on other days with better refereeing performances would have seen us unbeaten with 9pts from 9. 

It ain't what you spend its how you spend it. 

Yeah, as I say, I do like the way the club is being ran. But it seems that Lambert identified a player that he thought could make us even better, who then turned out to be beyond our price range. This is what I find a little disappointing.

• Like 1

Perhaps we should wait until the transfer window has closed before moaning about the lack of spending? We spent about £8m on deadline day last year.

Exactly. Lambert clearly loves a last minute bargain

yup. it may well be that the intended strategy for this summer was do 90% of business early and then wait around to see if we can get some late bargains when clubs are more desperate to sell than we are to buy. which also means we may end up not signing anyone else, 'cause late deals are always a risk, but I reckon we'll pick up at least one player on deadline day.

So according to HH "the days of spending £10m on one player are long gone"

If thats the case I'd suggest it wont be to long before Paul Lambert is  'long gone'

Why should lambert be forced to look on the cheap though.

With TV money increased and little amount spent so far you'd have hoped he could sign 1 player at the end of the window for a decent amount.

It could be that Lambert has told Lerner that he doesn't really need to spend much more money than he has done. If you look at the amount that'll be needed to get us to the top half, it's probably around what we've spent so far (ie relatively little). So the line of thinking could be "let's not spend a load of money to get top half when we can do it spending very little, instead let's wait until we ARE top half then spend proper money on a better standard of player than we could attract as a bottom half team", maybe?

So according to HH "the days of spending £10m on one player are long gone"

If thats the case I'd suggest it wont be to long before Paul Lambert is  'long gone'

Not necessarily. I see what you're saying but I'd say depending on how good the next few years are, the days of spending £10m on one player might come back.
  • Like 1

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

Edited by LondonLax

Why should lambert be forced to look on the cheap though.

With TV money increased and little amount spent so far you'd have hoped he could sign 1 player at the end of the window for a decent amount.

It could be that Lambert has told Lerner that he doesn't really need to spend much more money than he has done. If you look at the amount that'll be needed to get us to the top half, it's probably around what we've spent so far (ie relatively little). So the line of thinking could be "let's not spend a load of money to get top half when we can do it spending very little, instead let's wait until we ARE top half then spend proper money on a better standard of player than we could attract as a bottom half team", maybe?

Which makes no sense when we were told by HH 'There is nowhere near that (8m) amount' - not 'PL doesn't want to spend that amount'

The money doesn't exist for 1 to 3 out of 20 clubs in this league, us being one.

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

How much has Lerner taken out of the club in his 7 years here versus what he's put in?

Or Lambert had decided the club has to stand on it's own revenue and he will no longer be bank rolling any big signings or even sanctioning any from the club revenue either until some of his loans have been paid back?

How much has Lerner taken out of the club in his 7 years here versus what he's put in?

Maybe he shouldn't have bought a football club.