Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

The £10m player comment is an interesting one - because surely the point of recovering your financial position is that it allows you to reset to an extent and then get back in the race - there's a groundswell of support for what we've done, and what we're doing, but if you stay in 'recovery' mode beyond the natural point of that recovery then I think you open yourself up to some serious questions.

Yep and I think that's the concern.

Has our owner got the ambition for another go at the top clubs or is he happy to just be a premiership club while keeping costs low?

Let's not jump the gun, I reckon with an improvement in revenue through the turnstiles and league position in the next couple of seasons we might be setting ourselves up to have another crack at it.

Spending big now without first establishing ourselves up the table and getting the core of a good team together would mean overpaying in wages etc. to entice the player to come. Once we have got up the table we'll be a better prospect for better players, we need to get there first though. Then we'll see about ambition.

Is this the new myth to explain our lack of spending now that all the "deadwood" has been cleared?

Helenius is one for the future more than this season and the jury is out a little on Bowery.

That leaves us with 3 strikers in a formation in which we play with 3 strikers and we depend on one of them for the majority of our goals. So yes I think we need a striker and I think we might just get one before the deadline.

We aren't going to sign an attacking midfielder.

Then I fail to see where we need to strengthen?

We are so desperate for creativity I will be shocked if we sign someone who isn't an creative attacking midfielder, as that's the only position I feel that we have no one. 

This. We struggle to break down some teams at home and we also have a pretty terrible record from set pieces. An attacking midfielder should be the priority, especially as it is a position we have clearly needed to fill for a few seasons.

• Like 3

IF we went for a striker, might Benteke then be the one who drops back a bit? He was playing very deep at times over the 4 games so far

Seems a bit odd for a guy with his scoring record, but perhaps he and/or lambert think he's more effective and more likely to score coming from deeper 

Edited by P3te

IF we went for a striker, might Benteke then be the one who drops back a bit? He was playing very deep at times over the 4 games so far

Seems a bit odd for a guy with his scoring record, but perhaps he and/or lambert think he's more effective and more likely to score coming from deeper 

The majority of his goals do seem to come from around the edge of the box or when he's running into it.

Just a quick one from me. The negativity has surprised me a little.

<snip>

I genuinely put it down to the fact that as Villa fans we're never fully comfortable unless we can see a cloud aswell as the silver lining. There'll always be a 'yeah but...'.
  • Like 1

i believe it could be a Bale type of player (not to his standard of course...yet) what i mean is someone who is a midfielder but is in effect a forward as well someone who plays comfortably anywhere ain the final 3rd of the pitch

I still think Lambo might be after attacking mid mostly because we need someone to break up opposition defense when we they park the bus. I don't get the talk that we're not gonna put 5-10+ million on a single player... we have no idea how much money Lambert has to spend and what are they planning.

We haven't bought anyone yet in that price bracket but it doesn't mean that we don't spend that kind of money on the right player. AVFC always tries to play the transfers very close to the chest, so the lack of the links/rumours isn't because we're not looking for players but more likely because we try to make sure no one hears about negotiations or enquiries.

Sergio Canales was mentioned earlier...........a couple of years ago he was at Santander and looked a real potential superstar, then went to RM, and got a cruciate knee injury.Gone to Valencia, but not sure how he has been getting on, has he recovered from his injury, anywhere near his best?

If he is, and his value is £4/5 million, then he is an absolute bargain at that, and still only 22.

I would think that the person we might be after would be someone who could give us a different option in certain games rather than someone to play every week.

If we look at the side that played the first 3 games of the season it's clearly one that works against the bigger teams. El Ahmadi looks like he could have a bigger role to play this year. Even against Liverpool, who have a good defence and who sat back against us, we still created chances and probably ought to have scored. So to that end I'm not surprised that we're not looking at someone who is big money. But I do think we could do with another option. As long as Lambert is being backed to get the players he wants that's fine by me - I'll trust him to find someone. 

People are getting impatient again.  This is going to take more than one window to sort out.  We're still paying players lots of money to do nothing, the TV money won't come in until the end of the season I think, yet we still managed to keep Benteke, bring in some really good prospects, have improved the side, created the most exciting young side we've seen for a long while, with the prospect of one more player still to come in.  I like the fact that we're doing things differently and we've done as well, if not better than the other clubs around us in the transfer market this year imo.

I think a striker could be on the cards, if Benteke gets injured then we have no reliable goalscorers - Gabby and Andi are too hit and miss, Helenius is at the moment unproven (doesnt mean he wont be good though). I still think we should of kept bent in and around the team and not loaned him to Fulham to score goals (which he has already).

I would like to see an AMC too though, we need a player who's comfortable with the ball in the final third. I really like Holtby from Spurs, if we can get that type of player  it would be great. Maybe a young player from a CL side on loan.