Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I do find it odd that the AM links went all the way down. You would think there would be one around the corner, but considering we have gone to germany and had some games here, nothing has happened. You would think we would at least put some inquiries around to see what the prices was and so on. Probably the whole bomb squad thing, but I am surprised there has been nothing at all that has been leaked. Still want it, and still believe we need it. 

Was thinking about this the other day. Maybe Tonev is being earmarked for the attacking midfielder role ? I know he looks more like a wide player but he's skilful, looks like he's got a decent pass on him and can score goals from distance too. Just a thought

You would think we would at least put some inquiries around to see what the prices was and so on. 

If we're in the market for an AM I assume we would have done that. Even if we didn't have the money to buy, you'd have to think that the club would be sounding out targets for quick completion when the funds are there

I think you'll find that we conceded the most goals from our right flank last season. We conceded hardly any from the left as Bennett was generally pretty solid there. Lowton is fantastic going forward but gets caught out of position a lot and we paid for it many times.

Blimey DM, I know Lowton was in attacking, rather than defensive positions a lot of the time, but I'm sure you're wrong about this.

Bennett was responsible for a LOT of goals being scored down the left flank iirc, or at least from the LH corner of the box with him responsible. I'm not saying Bennett doesn't have talent, but he did NOT have a good season imo.

Not sure how I can check TBH but I remember every week realising that we'd conceded again from Lowton's side yet Bennett was getting the slating all the time. I fully agree that Bennett didn't have a good season, but he seemed to defend his side pretty well where Lowton didn't.

This is a joke right?  You're either trolling/never watch Villa last season or under the influence and hopefully all three.

Please come back when you learn to debate a point.

Not sure how I can check TBH but I remember every week realising that we'd conceded again from Lowton's side yet Bennett was getting the slating all the time. I fully agree that Bennett didn't have a good season, but he seemed to defend his side pretty well where Lowton didn't.

I have the statszone app. I went back as far as Man City and so far as far as I can tell you are correct, just.

Its pretty close but they come (by a hair) more from the right than the left. A distressing amount come straight through the middle fwiw.

• Like 1

I also thought we needed an AM and back-up GK but having watched all the pre-season games i'm not so sure we do, the lads have settled in nicely and showing they can play the way Lambert wants to play. I think Lambert may well stick to what he has at the moment and if we need to use the winter transfer window he will.

I have the statszone app. I went back as far as Man City and so far as far as I can tell you are correct, just.

Its pretty close but they come (by a hair) more from the right than the left. A distressing amount come straight through the middle fwiw.

OK thanks. I think Bennett had Gabby back helping a lot and he's a bit more experienced at doing that than Weimann, which probably evens things up.

I think you'll find that we conceded the most goals from our right flank last season. We conceded hardly any from the left as Bennett was generally pretty solid there. Lowton is fantastic going forward but gets caught out of position a lot and we paid for it many times.

Blimey DM, I know Lowton was in attacking, rather than defensive positions a lot of the time, but I'm sure you're wrong about this.

Bennett was responsible for a LOT of goals being scored down the left flank iirc, or at least from the LH corner of the box with him responsible. I'm not saying Bennett doesn't have talent, but he did NOT have a good season imo.

This is a joke right? You're either trolling/never watch Villa last season or under the influence and hopefully all three.

Debate, whats to debate? You cant compare Lowtons and Bennets season regards performance. Bennet was terrible. Yes he has ability and hopefully he shows it this season

Debate, whats to debate? You cant compare Lowtons and Bennets season regards performance. Bennet was terrible. Yes he has ability and hopefully he shows it this season

To be fair on Bennett his performances did dramatically improve towards the tail end of the season, in fact they've improved to such an extent that I will have no qualms if he starts ahead of Tony at the start of the season. Having said that, I agree that Lowton is by far and away the better full back. 

• Like 1

Both full backs, whoever is selected, can rest easy in the comforting knowledge that Jores Okore can quickly get across the park & cover in behind them when they make an inevitable mistake or get caught out of position this season.

Plus having Yacouba Sylla in midfield with similar attributes to Okore means we shall surely tighten up a lot more defensively this season.

Here's hoping.

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 1

If Okore turns out to be as good as we hope, then the others might find their feet. At the moment, I think we depend too much on Vlaar, Baker etc remaining injury free and at the top of their game. But, I agree, there are alternatives for the CB position, so we should look at other areas.

I still want to see another midfielder, a box to box player with pace, presence and the flair for a killer pass, or occasional goal. A hybrid version of Mortimer, Cowans and Merson would be nice.

Not asking for much in the midfield then haha!

Was thinking about this the other day. Maybe Tonev is being earmarked for the attacking midfielder role ? I know he looks more like a wide player but he's skilful, looks like he's got a decent pass on him and can score goals from distance too. Just a thought

Because I usually like to play wide ..

Players as Tonev (Althought I just saw some clips) .. And Gabby .. Better for them to play wide .. I think it's somehow hard for Tonev to play in the middle .. 

Maybe we'll just do it tighten and play 3 in the middle with 3 attackers .. And when we need or have players just put Weimann or Helenius as No.10 .. 

Hopefully we could get Kiyotake .. 

Defensively both our fullbacks were pretty poor but for Lowton at least it was because he was usually half way up the pitch with no one dropping back to cover. For Bennett it was down to individual errors a lot of the time. 

This is a joke right? You're either trolling/never watch Villa last season or under the influence and hopefully all three.

I don't think we'll make another signing now. I reckon we did all our deals early to ensure a full pre-season together and we'll go into the new season with what we have. Looking at our squad, I reckon the intended first eleven will be:

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Okore

Luna

Delph

Westwood

Tonev

Weimann

Benteke

Agbonlahor

Three new faces in the starting line-up and half a new defence, which was our biggest problem area last season. We needed an attacking midfielder because those that were tried there - Ireland, Bowery, N'Zogbia etc - weren't making an impact. We're definitely an attacking threat because of the front three. Whether our defence will be an improvement remains to be seen.

I don't think we'll make another signing now. I reckon we did all our deals early to ensure a full pre-season together and we'll go into the new season with what we have. Looking at our squad, I reckon the intended first eleven will be:

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Okore

Luna

Delph

Westwood

Tonev

Weimann

Benteke

Agbonlahor.

Agree with most of that team (barring injuries) but I'll be surprised if Sylla doesn't start instead of Tonev, to beef up the midfield.