Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Dempsey is apparently available again. Given that we were in for him last season, I can only assume we might have lingering interest. Nothing linking us with him, but there's talk he's going back to the MLS

Dempsey is apparently available again. Given that we were in for him last season, I can only assume we might have lingering interest. Nothing linking us with him, but there's talk he's going back to the MLS

I can't imagine we'd be interested. We don't really have enough space for another forward.

I can't imagine we'd be interested. We don't really have enough space for another forward.

I'd have thought he'd be ideal for the number 10 spot we were looking at filling

I don't want him. He missed his chance!

That could well be a factor. Why he turned us down would likely play a big part in whether or not Lambert goes for him again. If it was a money thing, or he was simply outright dismissive of the club, I can't see us going for him. If it was a case that he said Spurs were interested and he couldn't pass up the chance of potentially qualifying for the CL, then we might go again

I'd have thought he'd be ideal for the number 10 spot we were looking at filling

Nah, I don't agree. If we're going to play a forward in the number 10 role, then it'll be Helenius. We don't need him.

To this day i don't believe we ever did want Dempsey. It seemed a clear ruse to speed Genk along with regards the Benteke deal

And i certainly don't want him now. Way too old

I agree. Absolutely nothing about Dempsey says 'Lambert signing'. If he was 21 year old Nicaraguan from a team we'd never heard of, then maybe. But as he is an ageing Yank we've all heard of from a team in our league, no chance.

Edited by Spoony

To this day i don't believe we ever did want Dempsey. It seemed a clear ruse to speed Genk along with regards the Benteke deal

And i certainly don't want him now. Way too old

If it was a ruse and Dempsey had said yes it would have been pretty embarassing for both our new manager and the club if we'd had to retract the bid.

No i think we were interested alright but Dempsey simply wasn't and i don't think Lambert is the type of manager to risk being turned down twice by the same player.

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

I agree KSV it was probably a bit of a maneuver between Fulham and Villa with a little bit of serious interest from us. Last year was a different situation, wasn't Liverpool stirring it up and dragging feet with Dempsey in a pinch at the end of the window having said he wanted out. PL probably thought" what the heck, long shot but..."

While making genk think about that 7 million fee going away.

Agree, doesn't make sense for us now.