Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

If Okore turns out to be as good as we hope, then the others might find their feet. At the moment, I think we depend too much on Vlaar, Baker etc remaining injury free and at the top of their game. But, I agree, there are alternatives for the CB position, so we should look at other areas.

I still want to see another midfielder, a box to box player with pace, presence and the flair for a killer pass, or occasional goal. A hybrid version of Mortimer, Cowans and Merson would be nice.

Vermaelen is out for Arsenal as well B)

thats not good. He is a pile of crap these days

Yeah, I know... got him mixed up with Koscielny for a second there... Vermaelen is obviously not a big loss for arse at the moment.

• Like 1

We're still crying out for someone good with some proven PL experience at the back.

Like who?

Proven PL experience is a load of bollocks. Our last defence that was made up of players with proven PL experience was as bad as our defence now but with absolutely no indication of improvement. At least with this approach, improvement is clear.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

Honestly can't understand the criticism that Vlaar gets. Solid Premier League defender.

I agree. We sometimes forget that when he was injured last season he was badly missed. The signing of Okore, if fit, should go a long way to helping the defence but in my view we still should be looking for another CB because it's a long season and with our injury history with CB's we need more back up.

I just can't see Lambert bringing in another CB.

When fit, we'll have Vlaar, Okore, Baker & Clark. If 2 of them are injured, we can struggle by with one of Lowton or Herd as cover (or Donacien will get a shot).

I think Okore will be the only CB addition, personally. If we bring in another, we'll have 5 CBs!

Not necessarily a bad thing that. Defence is definately our weak point and we really need to find a back four that works well together. And not only that, we also need to be able to put someone else in without losing quality in the case of injuries and suspensions. If we get another one in that only adds to the chances of archieving that, at least if that player is somewhat versatile. Let's say we got Marco Capuano for example (who can also play at left back). Then we'd have lots of possibillities to choose from in each position:

RB: Lowton, (Luna), (Donacien), (Bacuna).

CB: Vlaar, Okore, Capuano, Baker, Clark, Donacien.

LB: Luna, Bennett, (Capuano), (Clark).

We could play:

Lowton, Okore/Capuano/Baker, Vlaar, Luna/Capuano

Lowton is injured/suspended we can put Luna out on the right (or Donacien/Bacuna) and play Capuano or Bennett on the left (whoever that deserves it the most, not just the "one other option" we have). If Vlaar is out we'd still have 4 or 5 to choose from. Luna is injuried  we'd still have two others behind him etc. etc.

Also, as mentioned in one of the previous pages, a defence is very much a thing of finding the right balance. Vlaar/Clark does not work very well together, but who knows, maybe Clark is great with (the speed of) Okore beside him. Maybe the CB'S have had to "cover" too much for Bennett and looked worse then they really are. Or maybe Bennett would become better with Okore and Baker in the middle etc.

I think we need at least one more defender to have enough options to find the optimal back four (with quality backups keeping them on their toes), maybe two (If Donacien is not considered a first team player yet or Bacuna isn't to be considered as a RB option).

Edited by K-Carlsen

I thought the Capuano thing was Twitter bollocks?

Don't think so as it was on the players own account. But as for my post above, he was just used as an example because he is the last defender we've been linked with.

I thought the Capuano thing was Twitter bollocks?

Don't think so as it was on the players own account. But as for my post above, he was just used as an example because he is the last defender we've been linked with.

Fair enough, hope it is true.

It would make sense for Lambert to have sounded a few players/clubs/agents out - for when we do move some players on. I can see at least two more signings on the horizon, although I have no factual basis for this, just a feeling.

We're still crying out for someone good with some proven PL experience at the back.

Because our defence was great with Dunne and Collins wasn't it?

They were immense in the 09-10 season. I think we conceded something like 40 goals, if we could get any near that marker next season we'd be in great shape.

We could do with someone as phisically imposing as either of them were.

If Spurs are really goin to sell Steven Caulker we should make a bid.

Edited by Villastine

I mean, what happened?

Met him in Holland at Schiphol, strangely I was the only person who knew who he was, put my hand out to shake his and said 'Hey Stam' and how I thought he was one of the best defenders of my time. He just looked me in the face and rejected the handshake.

Funnily enough he ended up getting on the same plane as me to BHX, I politely tried to engage again, asking for a photo if possible. He just sneered at me and said 'no' very rudely.

Normally players are alright, I bump into them often for some reason, Nathan Redmond and who I presume was his boyfriend the other day for example. Bumped into MON years and years ago when I lived in Leicester, he knocked into my mum and didn't apologise so she called him a **** prick etc.

Coolest player I've met is Sylla, guy is an absolute legend.

Edited by samjp26

Do you reckon if we put Ireland on Gumtree in the free and unwanted section, we might get a buyer?

Seen we have been linked with some italian right back today.  2 more positions to fill for me - RB and AM.

I'm resigned to us never going for Shawcross. He's arguably the best centre back outside the top 6.

For some reason I cant let it go and accept that, even though I know you are right lol

Let's just hope Stoke are relegated this season and we try for Shawcross next summer, that's not an entirely impossible scenario