Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I'm resigned to us never going for Shawcross. He's arguably the best centre back outside the top 6.

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I disagree strongly. Is this including Agger or are Liverpool part of the top 6 now Moyes has moved on? Exactly the type of wooden footed clogger I'm happy to see play elsewhere, in spite of his few decent attributes.

I'm resigned to us never going for Shawcross. He's arguably the best centre back outside the top 6.

I don't know if I'm in the minority but I disagree strongly. Is this including Agger or are Liverpool part of the top 6 now Moyes has moved on? Exactly the type of wooden footed clogger I'm happy to see play elsewhere, in spite of his few decent attributes.

Liverpool are top 6 now that Moyes has moved on.

what is top 6 these days? Liverpool or Everton excluded as both have defenders better than Shawcross

I really don't expect us to sign anyone unless we have a few departures and even then I think it is unlikely.

As for RB and AM very little chance of those being the positions we buy for if and when we do.

I asked you this previously but had no reply. What positions do you think we would strengthen if we sold a few players? 

what is top 6 these days? Liverpool or Everton excluded as both have defenders better than Shawcross

Please don't get bogged down in the definition.  I know it's VT tradition to do so. The general point was the important thing.

Personally, I think Jagielka, Williams, Hangeland and Collocini are much better but this is the transfer thread and we won't be making signings like that.

Personally, I think Jagielka, Williams, Hangeland and Collocini are much better but this is the transfer thread and we won't be making signings like that.

I'd take Winston Reid and Seb Bassong over Shawcross too.

Edited by Cizzler

Well I did say it was arguable. Although the suggestion of Bassong and Colloccini really had me very thankful there wasn't coffee in my mouth at the time.

I like shawcross cos hes only 25 but has plenty of experience. he also wouldnt have to relocate to play for us.

That might work against us then.  Can't offer him a good enough excuse to leave grotty Stoke on Trent.

'The next Jaap Stam' eh?

There is a marked difference between Vlaar and Jaap Stam. While Vlaar might be somewhere in the ball park concerning Stam's passing ability Vlaar lacks just about everything else that made Stam great, i.e strength and dominance in the air.

I'm sorry but we have to get real here about over inflating the ability of our players. 

Stam was allowed to show those abilities because he had solid players around him and was able to get on with his own job. IMO we have a lot more to come from Vlaar.

If Stam had been one of our centrebacks last season do you think we would have conceded as much from crosses into our box?

He would have been dominant on those crosses because he would have taken responsibility for them and to date Vlaar has done neither.

One other difference might be that Stam was world class and Vlaar quite simply isn't no matter who plays beside him.

'The next Jaap Stam' eh?

There is a marked difference between Vlaar and Jaap Stam. While Vlaar might be somewhere in the ball park concerning Stam's passing ability Vlaar lacks just about everything else that made Stam great, i.e strength and dominance in the air.

I'm sorry but we have to get real here about over inflating the ability of our players. 

also about under inflating them as well ;)

Have noted the winkie but i'm not being over critical concerning Vlaar. He just isn't on the same level of ability as Stam and he never will be. Decent CB yes but no more than that.

I like shawcross cos hes only 25 but has plenty of experience. he also wouldnt have to relocate to play for us.

That might work against us then.  Can't offer him a good enough excuse to leave grotty Stoke on Trent.

I'm hoping expectantly that Mark Hughes will give him that reason. Stoke are a wildcard this season. They're difficult to place in a league table. Mark Hughes could put them anywhere from 8th to 20th depending on which Mark Hughes turns up :)

For some reason I cant let it go and accept that, even though I know you are right lol

Let's just hope Stoke are relegated this season and we try for Shawcross next summer, that's not an entirely impossible scenario

Shawcross would be looking at top six clubs if he did become available and if his valuation was in and around the 10m figure then our chairman wouldn't fund it.

I agree, but if we ever are to get him this is the only way imo.

For the record im not hugely keen on Shawcross, thou i think he'd be a clear step up from Vlaar.

I think and hope look outside the PL when we decide to replace Vlaar as players like Shawcross are too expensive and most likely wanät too high wages

Too many people writing Vlaar off in this thread for my likings. Last season he had to contend with injuries, regular changing of his CB partner, and teams intentionally focussing all their attacking down a very weak left hand side of ours. All those things add up and will take everyone's performance levels down. A Vlaar able to worry about his own game and not worrying so much about when the next balls up from a fellow defender will happen should see a huge improvement. If Okore steps in and is competent right from the off, and Luna stops teams focusing attacks down his side, I think you'll see a very different defensive unit