Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I think if Okore turns out to be as good as we hope, Vlaar will improve. 

My feeling is that he hasn't been able to play his own game with a liability like Clark alongside him. 

• Like 2

My feeling is that he hasn't been able to play his own game with a liability like Clark alongside him. 

I pretty much agree with this. If you just look at the difference in how he played when he played alongside Baker as opposed to Clark, there was already a definite improvement in how Vlaar performed. 

I pretty much agree with this. If you just look at the difference in how he played when he played alongside Baker as opposed to Clark, there was already a definite improvement in how Vlaar performed. 

Both of his goals were scored while playing with Baker weren't they?

It's all about the defence isn't it.. Or more accurately our season hinges on how well Okore & Luna settle in. If we reduce the average goals conceded per game to less than two then it is a sign they have had an impact.. if not then they haven't! At least that's how i see it.

Any combination of the other lot = 2 goals per game against.

I would be much happier with one more addition back there really.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

We will continue to concede from set pieces until we purchase a CB who is dominant in the air. Vlaar isn't that CB and lets hope Okore will be. If not then teams will continue to target this weakness and we will continue to ship goals.

I wish football was that simple.

It is.

You find the opposing teams weakness and try to exploit it.

You think it a coincidence that most teams focused their attacks down our left flank and Bennet last season

I think you'll find that we conceded the most goals from our right flank last season. We conceded hardly any from the left as Bennett was generally pretty solid there. Lowton is fantastic going forward but gets caught out of position a lot and we paid for it many times.

Any results against United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and even Liverpool are bonus points, it's the other 13 teams we need to be focusing on and, honestly, we should be aiming to win every single match against Cardiff, Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom and West Ham. That's 78 points up for grabs, we're not yet at the stage where the matches against the other lot are particularly relevant. Obviously we don't want to be going out not to get anything, and you break your balls to get whatever you can, but, like I say, they're bonus points

The great thing about Lambert is that you know that he wants to go all-out attack!

We'll get caught at the back, but we'll also have our fair share of wins. As long as we improve on last season, I'm happy.

I'm really hoping we're over the worst now. We have a good squad of young players, some with Prem experience and some without, but he majority of them are improving and should be here for a good few years!

• Like 1

I think you'll find that we conceded the most goals from our right flank last season. We conceded hardly any from the left as Bennett was generally pretty solid there. Lowton is fantastic going forward but gets caught out of position a lot and we paid for it many times.

Blimey DM, I know Lowton was in attacking, rather than defensive positions a lot of the time, but I'm sure you're wrong about this.

Bennett was responsible for a LOT of goals being scored down the left flank iirc, or at least from the LH corner of the box with him responsible. I'm not saying Bennett doesn't have talent, but he did NOT have a good season imo.

Honestly can't understand the criticism that Vlaar gets. Solid Premier League defender.

I agree. We sometimes forget that when he was injured last season he was  badly missed.  The signing of Okore, if  fit,   should go a long way to  helping the defence but in my view  we still  should be looking for another   CB because  it's a long  season  and  with our   injury history  with   CB's we  need more   back  up.

I think Vlaar is potentially a lot better than we have seen so far. It cant be easy when you are stretched all over your half of the pitch because your fellow defenders and the midfield in front of you are not holding their own positions. We had too much inexperience and our midfield was too weak last season so it all came on top for Vlaar when he was fit. Hopefully he can concentrate on his job now that the others have gained a bit from last year plus he has the new support that has arrived. IMO he could be the next Jaap Stam.

• Like 1

This is a joke right?  You're either trolling/never watch Villa last season or under the influence and hopefully all three.

• Like 1

'The next Jaap Stam' eh?

There is a marked difference between Vlaar and Jaap Stam. While Vlaar might be somewhere in the ball park concerning Stam's passing ability Vlaar lacks just about everything else that made Stam great, i.e strength and dominance in the air.

I'm sorry but we have to get real here about over inflating the ability of our players. 

Honestly can't understand the criticism that Vlaar gets. Solid Premier League defender.

I agree. We sometimes forget that when he was injured last season he was badly missed. The signing of Okore, if fit, should go a long way to helping the defence but in my view we still should be looking for another CB because it's a long season and with our injury history with CB's we need more back up.

I just can't see Lambert bringing in another CB.

When fit, we'll have Vlaar, Okore, Baker & Clark. If 2 of them are injured, we can struggle by with one of Lowton or Herd as cover (or Donacien will get a shot).

I think Okore will be the only CB addition, personally. If we bring in another, we'll have 5 CBs!

'The next Jaap Stam' eh?

There is a marked difference between Vlaar and Jaap Stam. While Vlaar might be somewhere in the ball park concerning Stam's passing ability Vlaar lacks just about everything else that made Stam great, i.e strength and dominance in the air.

I'm sorry but we have to get real here about over inflating the ability of our players. 

Stam was allowed to show those abilities because he had solid players around him and was able to get on with his own job. IMO we have a lot more to come from Vlaar.

'The next Jaap Stam' eh?

also about under inflating them as well ;)