Weekends football 6/7 April

andykeenan

On a side note, Di Canio pointed out that the Sunderland players weren't fit enough.

Am I right in thinking Houllier said something similar when he first came here?

I think it is pretty well documented that MON has a pretty relaxed attitude to fitness and training. He normally tries to get the players to save the big effort for match day. 

It seems like his teams run out of steam at the end of a season though. 

On a side note, Di Canio pointed out that the Sunderland players weren't fit enough.

I believe you are. In fact it was one of the first things Houllier changed by bringing in a Fitness Coach IIRC. Though, lots of Villa players reacted badly to it (Dunne & Collins). Will be interesting to see how the Sunderland players react to it. 

It's tricky now though. Push them too hard and there could be a few injuries and/or knackered performances until the end of the season.

Well this is what PDC said...

"It was impossible [to maintain first-half performance] because physically we spent a lot of energy in the first half, we had fantastic discipline, the players are working hard. This team at this moment is not a team that can play Chelsea for 95 minutes. In the next few weeks we will do more work and extend the physical condition."

Remember when Terry said he knew Villa were going to tire after 70minutes? 

That Maloney goal could signal the beginning of the end for QPR. Not just their PL status but their very existence. They now face complete financial meltdown.

Yes you are. Which goes to show just how out of touch MON is with modern football. He's stuck in 1977.

Hmmm. I wouldn't advise Di Canio to take Houllier as a role model for how to conduct yourself when you come to a new club!  ;)

That Maloney goal could signal the beginning of the end for QPR. Not just their PL status but their very existence. They now face complete financial meltdown.

Not really, their owner has cash and as long as he keeps paying the bills then nothing will change in that aspect. Revenue will go down of course, but his contribution will go up. That's how easy it is when there are no restraints in this game. They are in turmoil though, many will be shipped out and some will stay due to the cash.

They can't get anything from Man City, can they? Wigan's luck with results at the moment is ridiculous.

They probably can...and will. Wigan have all the luck and with City out of the title race they'll be less up for it. I've just got a bad feeling that Wigan will get something at the COMS 

A draw is okay yeah. Reading and QPR are surely down now? 

Between us, Stoke, Wigan and Sunderland for the drop now I think. 

I'd include Norwich as well, still got to play Arsenal and Man City as well as us, Stoke and Reading. They could very easily be sucked right into it.

Hmmm. I wouldn't advise Di Canio to take Houllier as a role model for how to conduct yourself when you come to a new club!  ;)

You are employed by O'Neill and i claim my prize, when your not in the on topic forums defending his honour or pointing out he's not our manager, your in here pointing out that nothing is his fault.

I dont think he can take you to court based on saying anything bad about him on message board

original.gif

Not really, their owner has cash and as long as he keeps paying the bills then nothing will change in that aspect. Revenue will go down of course, but his contribution will go up. That's how easy it is when there are no restraints in this game. They are in turmoil though, many will be shipped out and some will stay due to the cash.

Hmmm let's see. I suspect his enthusiasm will wain when their in the championship and it's costing him over £1m a week of his own cash to keep them afloat. It's a recipe for disaster .

Results for us could have been a lt worse. We are in a great position now

Not sure I'd use the word "great" but our destiny does appear to be in our own hands and we're beating the team's around us.

Yes you are. Which goes to show just how out of touch MON is with modern football. He's stuck in 1977.

I would caveat this with saying that Di Canio's approach to fitness is insane.

I have a very good mate who's a Swindon fan and I was talking to him today about Di Canio. He said he worked the Swindon players hard. they had something like 3 days off in 4 months, and woudl do ridiculous things to people who weren't deemed fit enough.

He gave their captain a week off right at the start of pre season because his first child was being born, and when he got back he basically said "yeah, you're not captain anymore, you're too unfit."

So, whilst I wouldn't deny that MON's teams aren't fit enough, I would say that not being fit enough in Di Canio's eyes may not be evidence to support that.

Â