Sunderland

Richard

It happened to Wolves in 2012 and imo they had a better squad. Sunderland's squad is abysmal beyond Defoe and Pickford. They are not getting promoted with 58 year old John O'Shea marshalling their defence.

I just look at us and how we struggled for 3/4 of the season and this time last year Dr Tony was already in charge and Di Matteo was about to take over. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I think predictions of Sunderland being just fine are way premature. I'm not guaranteeing that they won't do well, but their squad is absolutely horrible beyond a handful of decent players who will (nearly) all leave. 

Teams do go down twice, it certainly isn't unheard of. 

17 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, I think predictions of Sunderland being just fine are way premature. I'm not guaranteeing that they won't do well, but their squad is absolutely horrible beyond a handful of decent players who will (nearly) all leave. 

Teams do go down twice, it certainly isn't unheard of. 

I think Wolves did it recently enough

Sunderland squad as it stands:

Mannone- Actually think he's a decent keeper, did well for them under big sam. Will be o.k in the championship.

Billy Jones- your bog standard average full backs who moves between bottom half clubs and nobody ever notices.

Oviedo- Was decent years ago at Everton but injury has ruined him. (could say the game about Gibson and Anichebe).

Djilloboji- How the fraud squad haven't cracked down on the transfers involving this guy I'll never know....

Cattermole- probably be o.k in the championship but he's not the sort who's going to drive a team to promotion is he. Amazed he's still only 28, been around for eternity!

Khazari- Barely lifted a leg this season so will probably get a loan move back to France like Veretout did in August.

John O'shea- Will he ever retire? Been useless for years now.

Paddy McNair-Average.

Borini- Made his money through big money moves here and to LIverpool so dosen't strike me as the most motivated player at championship level.

Kirchoff- Decent player but injury prone. Bundesliga club will probably take him.

Adam Matthews- errrrrrrrrr

Main basis of their squad. Likes of Seb Larsson and Defoe out of contract so won't be around and Pickford will move on by September. I struggle to see who's scoring goals, their squad is as bad as the one we went down with. Where would we have finished if we'd barely signed anyone in the summer?

O'Shea is out of contract I think, doubt he will be offered another

also jack rodwell is absolute rubbish but I'd put money on a team like West Brom signing him

Sunderland are almost as rotten as we were when we went down.

We had the advantage of a new owner coming in to help start reversing that.

Not sure Sunderland will be so lucky. It could go either way for them. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them struggle.

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

where did you read that?

Google brings up various articles stating it.  Sunderland's bill was estimated at £90m and puts them 21st or 22nd in Europe with Atletico 1 place behind them.

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

Google brings up various articles stating it.  Sunderland's bill was estimated at £90m and puts them 21st or 22nd in Europe with Atletico 1 place behind them.

Surely they have relegation wage reductions in a lot of those contracts? 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Surely they have relegation wage reductions in a lot of those contracts? 

Well Rodwell doesn't, and they're shambolically run, so let's hope not.  And even if they do, it'll be a lower percentage of what is a ridiculously high number to start with, so they'll still be in bad nick.

30 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

where did you read that?

It was on the football weekly podcast, source was James horncastle I tihnk. He's usually pretty accurate in what he says on that show and isn't liable to hyperbole.

Â