Sunderland

Richard

Would be hilarious if he took the job after his comments of not taking a job like Villa or Blackburn again. If the takeover does not take place, he will have no money and a squad not too different to the side he left us with.

This guy is a glutton for punishment. I think surely he has reached the Graeme Souness stage now where surely he just doesn't need the aggro? 

He should just walk away because he isn't going to get a sweet gig with his CV in the state it is in nowadays.

Sunderland approach aberdeen manager. Have no idea how good/bad he is but if his only acaccomplishments are in scittish football thats good news for us i feel 

Edited by Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Sunderland approach aberdeen manager. Have no idea how good/bad he is but if his only acaccomplishments are in scittish football thats good news for us i feel 

As an Aberdeen fan that's bad on 2 counts :(

It's the best Aberdeen side in a generation (since '94).  Since he has taken over we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd. Previously we had been 9th, 9th, 9th, 8th and barely escaping relegation.  Of the 8 cup semi-finals since he took over, we've been in 5 of them, and he won our first trophy in 19 years in 2014.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BOF said:

As an Aberdeen fan that's bad on 2 counts :(

It's the best Aberdeen side in a generation (since '94).  Since he has taken over we've finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd. Previously we had been 9th, 9th, 9th, 8th and barely escaping relegation.  Of the 8 cup semi-finals since he took over, we've been in 5 of them, and he won our first trophy in 19 years in 2014.

Nah. His only acaccomplishments are in scittish football.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

he was awful in Bristol City though

23 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I am old enough to rememeber when the world went mad at Juventus spending £32m on Buffon. An absolute outrage to spend that on a goalkeeper.

Now we have Pickford.

Interestingly (or not) Buffon was 23 when he made that move and Pickford is 23 now.  He looks a pretty quality keeper to be fair.

Pickford for £30m is not as crazy as £32.5m for Christian Benteke.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Interestingly (or not) Buffon was 23 when he made that move and Pickford is 23 now.  He looks a pretty quality keeper to be fair.

I cant disagree more, tekkers had what three successful seasons with us, a proven scorer and fairly long. Pickford is still unproven 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I cant disagree more, tekkers had what three successful seasons with us, a proven scorer and fairly long. Pickford is still unproven 

There are many, many great strikers out there.  Not quite as easy when it comes to goalkeepers (IMO).

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

There are many, many great strikers out there.  Not quite as easy when it comes to goalkeepers (IMO).

I guess with pickford your buying potential, similar to when United signed Martial for big money 

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:
20 minutes ago, bobzy said:

My disagreement is that neither fee is crazy.  I agree with Demitri that Benteke was worth every penny of the £32.5m, but I think Pickford is also worth the £30m.  If he was 'proven' in the way that I think you mean, then he'd be worth double that.  As it is, you've a 23 year old keeper who (apart from Defoe) was POTY for his side and has already got into the England national squad off the back of his year playing in goal for Sunderland.  Add in the rarity of good goalkeepers in general and; as I said earlier; you've got yourself a relatively endangered species thereby pushing his price up.  Everton may have just sorted their keeper position for the next 10 years, and if he does get nicked they'll probably be doubling their money on him.

• Like 1

What should be noted is keepers tend to look better in bad teams. 

Sunderland have had Mignolet, Pantilimon, and Mannone in the last 5-6 seasons. Mignolet went onto to Liverpool and struggled pretty badly. He has recently elevated his game, but still not the keeper Liverpool thought they were getting. Pantilimon went to Watford where he doesn't play. Mannone is still at Sunderland, but I remember back in the 13-14 season when he came from Arsenal, he was looking like a great keeper largely due to the shots he was constantly facing. 

Basically all three of these keepers seemed a lot better than they were. Pickford is young and has potential, but he could look worse in an Everton side. 

Â