Sunderland

Richard

31 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

What should be noted is keepers tend to look better in bad teams. 

Sunderland have had Mignolet, Pantilimon, and Mannone in the last 5-6 seasons. Mignolet went onto to Liverpool and struggled pretty badly. He has recently elevated his game, but still not the keeper Liverpool thought they were getting. Pantilimon went to Watford where he doesn't play. Mannone is still at Sunderland, but I remember back in the 13-14 season when he came from Arsenal, he was looking like a great keeper largely due to the shots he was constantly facing. 

Basically all three of these keepers seemed a lot better than they were. Pickford is young and has potential, but he could look worse in an Everton side. 

It's possible, and I know what you mean.  There's a reason bigger sides never bought Ali Al-Habsi when he was jumping around Wigan's goal like a madman.  Shot stoppers excel in bad teams because they're basically getting plenty of opportunity to pad their stats.  But from what I've seen of Pickford I get the impression he has a bit more about him.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Scott Carson looked incredible for Charlton the season they went down.

*shudders*

... and before he played for England, Villa fans were desperate for Randy to pay the reported £10m transfer fee before Liverpool hiked it up.

It's utter madness for Everton to pay that kind of money for a goalkeeper who has only made about 30 appearances and never played for his country or in any elite competitions.

Ben Foster was excellent at Watford and on the whole has been a good player for West Brom but he could never handle the pressure at Man. United and made rash mistakes in his few games for them.

I would say though one thing you know when you're signing a keeper unless they turn out to be rubbish is longevity so in that sense you get value for money as they'll be around for 4-5 seasons.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I would say though one thing you know when you're signing a keeper unless they turn out to be rubbish is longevity so in that sense you get value for money as they'll be around for 4-5 seasons.

I think the is a fair risk this could go sour. Look at Gollini, apparently looked very good in a team that got relegated and one for the future... turned out to be utter shite and a liability.

Yes I know but that's the same for any position.

What I meant is if you sign a decent keeper they're more likely to stay longer term than a striker who comes in and scores 20 odd goals.

When you look at the top keepers in the league Lloris has been at Spurs since 2012, De Gea at Man. United since 2011 and Cech gave Chelsea a good 10 years service so can hang onto them more easily than an outfield player.

Oh my god, this is even better than the Lambert rumor :crylaugh:

Sunderland EXCLUSIVE: Tony Adams on board with a consortium in takeover bid

TONY ADAMS is the secret agent behind a consortium bidding to buy Sunderland.

Tony Adams is working with a consortium to buy SunderlandGETTY

Tony Adams is working with a consortium to buy Sunderland

The group is understood to be led by a fan and businessman based in the north east town.

Former Arsenal and England favourite Adams - now in charge of Spanish side Granada - has been brought on board along with Paul Smith.

Smith was Chelsea’s group business affairs director until his dismissal in 2007.

The pair were also linked with a proposed takeover of Aston Villa two years ago.

It is thought the consortium are a week away from putting in an offer for the club, with owner Ellis Short thought to want in the region of £80m to sell up.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/623455/Sunderland-takeover-Tony-Adams-Paul-Smith-Ellis-Short-consortium-fans

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

What did Sunderland expect? They signed a deal without clauses saying they'd buy him if they stayed up... they can't expect to not need to just because he wasn't very good :lol: 

almost as funny as signing an injury prone Jermaine Jenas with a clause in contract saying we'd pay he's wages even if he was injured who then ruptured his Achilles after 4 games. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

almost as funny as signing an injury prone Jermaine Jenas with a clause in contract saying we'd pay he's wages even if he was injured who then ruptured his Achilles after 4 games. 

That's is stupid and unlucky.

The Sunderland one was double stupid. One for doing the deal without any clauses like number of appearances, then stupid again for refusing to pay up thinking they could get away with it.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Â