The Randy Lerner thread

CI

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Basing the future of the club on what worked 40 years ago in Germany before there was any money in the game is an interesting strategy.

It would only take longer in todays climate

I just hope he allows the manager a couple of signings that can make an immediate impact.

for the life of me I just can't see how we are going to attract anyone decent unless its a loan signing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope he allows the manager a couple of signings that can make an immediate impact.

for the life of me I just can't see how we are going to attract anyone decent unless its a loan signing.

silly money that will cripple us for the next three years? sell some of our good, well, below average players?

1 minute ago, tomaspg said:

silly money that will cripple us for the next three years? sell some of our good, well, below average players?

Not Silly Money,no,, But it doesn't take Martin Lewis to to work out, that with all the money riding on us staying up .....a bit of a gamble may be worth taking.

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not Silly Money,no,, But it doesn't take Martin Lewis to to work out, that with all the money riding on us staying up .....a bit of a gamble may be worth taking.

no doubt, in my eyes we really dont have any other options if we want to stay in the league. I'm just worried that "a bit of a gamble" won't be able to see us through. Might have to break a couple of spending records..

Atleast with Remi I can see a type of tactic and ethos I could support rather than the hoof it and see what happends approach. But it needs the right player quality to work, not sure if what we have available is enough.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I think the next 5 games are massive with regard to Randy putting up the funds for 2 or 3 relatively big signings and the kind of established proven quality that we are crying out for.

If come full time of the Sunderland game on January 2nd we are any more than five points from safety then I just don't see Randy gambling. We really need to gain some ground on the handful of teams above us over the next three weeks prior to the window opening to give us any hope that big investment, in both fees and wages, could help get us out of the shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, markavfc40 said:

I think the next 5 games are massive with regard to Randy putting up the funds for 2 or 3 relatively big signings and the kind of established proven quality that we are crying out for.

If come full time of the Sunderland game on January 2nd we are any more than five points from safety then I just don't see Randy gambling. We really need to gain some ground on the handful of teams above us over the next three weeks prior to the window opening to give us any hope that big investment, in both fees and wages, could help get us out of the shit.

Agreed. Can't see him doing any major investment if we are already too far in the hole. If we are still 5 points behind Sunderland on January 2nd the last person out of Villa Park might as well turn out the lights.

12 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

I'd rather he not give it to the AVFC Relegation committee though.

Give it to Garde.

spot on.

ps I like the description, very apt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

If Randy Lerner ran a Formula one racing team he would just want them to finish the race with never any intention of winning it ...

Unfortunately, that's the case for most clubs. A handful aim to win it, a few more aim to finish top 4 and the rest aim to not get relegated. That's the nature of the league. And to be honest it's not that much different in the championship - a few aim to win, a bunch aim to get in the play offs and hope to wing it through, and a few aim to stay up.

I agree that the level of "ambition" shown by Villa is basically nil, and that's Randy's doing in large part, but part of that situation is caused by the nature of the league and the obsession with money all the clubs feel they need to have. It's less spot and more business. He tried the "gamble a whole ton of money" approach and it didn't come off, and now he's doing the "just stay up" approach (badly).

• Like 1

I still think we can stay up

i think RL  spunked what we wanted to spunk for this season

if we stay up this year we might just have something with Remi & the new signings

if we go down, expect asset stripping and paracute payments to the tune of 100m making its way back to RL then a sale price of 50mill to anyone who'll pay (Venky-style to chan)

after all Villa Park is nowhere near his beloved restaurant in the Useles State of Affairs

I don't think Randy will spend anymore than 2/3m regardless of our position.  I think he will already be planning for relegation and won't put those plans in jeopardy by spending big in January,  just for us to go down and make a further loss.  

These past few years has shown us that Randy isn't willing to spend any of his money investing in the club,  I don't see that changing now.  

There is one question I would Like to ask Randy Lerner or in fact Tom Fox too.

In view of the fact that our neighbours across the city have recently flirted with going out of business and the finances have put huge restrictions on their ability to progress on the field, why are they only 7-8 places behind us in the league pecking order and there is a reasonable chance we could be swapping Leagues this season.

Despite our restricted finances compared with the Top 6-8 clubs we still put them in the shade for financial resource.

How can we have mismanaged to the extent we have in recent times?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

The only reason I think he might spend this January is because our position this year is even more dire than previous seasons.

The fact that we haven't got a clue what he is going to do says it all.

I'm not suggesting he details how much money there is, but it would be nice to know, that he knows, we need to strengthen.

Its just handy to know what the plan is.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

it would be nice to know that he knows we need to strengthen.

Based on precedent, listening to the manager is the clue, I guess. I'd imagine he'll either volunteer the information, or be asked in an interview as to what the plans or budget or needs for January are and what's being done. I'm OK with RL not saying, but you're right someone should give some sort of indication.

Â