The Randy Lerner thread

CI

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

He and only he is the person to blame for the mess we are in. not Houllier, not McLeish, not Sherwood, not Lambert, not O'Neill and not Gardde. I have said it before, leadership and direction comes from the top and he has shown neither.

The flags, the tattoo, the Holte Pub, the scarves, the ''Proud history bright future'', the General, the banners, the promises, the hope and then.....

....the lies, the silence, the incompetence, the mismanagement, the absence, the divorce, the transfers, the recruitment, the treatment of the fans, the contempt, the hypocrisy......

all of this is why Randolph Lerner will go down in history as one of the worst ''custodians'' of this football club.

Seven lines that sum Lerner up a treat. Great post.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Lets face it .....He just wanted us to occupy his mind, like buying a lego set.

Problem is there were far more pieces to the set than he originally thought and putting all together was a nightmare too.....too complicated.

"**** it I'll buy a restaurant.....less pieces to go wrong.

........its like toy story all over again.

In my honest opinion.....If he had of Kept Steve Stride and worked with him and given him the resources.

You would have a much different Aston Villa Football Club Today.

For the better.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

In my honest opinion.....If he had of Kept Steve Stride and worked with him and given him the resources.

You would have a much different Aston Villa Football Club Today.

For the better.

IIRC, Stride wanted out. i'd welcome him back in a heartbeat, but I think he was done, and isn't in football anymore.

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

IIRC, Stride wanted out. i'd welcome him back in a heartbeat, but I think he was done, and isn't in football anymore.

I might be wrong, but I think he wanted out because, he wasn't wanted.....It was one of them ....Randy seen him as a Doug Man

Steve was Villa through and through.

....but there is so much that goes on that we don't get to know.....otherwise we ALL may have different views.

but we are all expected to just carry on and pay the piper.

11 hours ago, imavillan said:

He and only he is the person to blame for the mess we are in. not Houllier, not McLeish, not Sherwood, not Lambert, not O'Neill and not Gardde. I have said it before, leadership and direction comes from the top and he has shown neither.

The flags, the tattoo, the Holte Pub, the scarves, the ''Proud history bright future'', the General, the banners, the promises, the hope and then.....

....the lies, the silence, the incompetence, the mismanagement, the absence, the divorce, the transfers, the recruitment, the treatment of the fans, the contempt, the hypocrisy......

all of this is why Randolph Lerner will go down in history as one of the worst ''custodians'' of this football club.

Agree with all of that except O'Neill, who not only bought shit players on insane fees and wages, he let other players walk who we'd piss ourselves to have back today. 

Lerner is the root, O'Neill is a big old branch. The rest of them get a pass, as inept as they were in their own ways, they were just using what they were given. 

As crazy as it sounds now...Alex McLeish wasn't as bad as he's been made out to be...he was just a lackey. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Agree with all of that except O'Neill, who not only bought shit players on insane fees and wages, he let other players walk who we'd piss ourselves to have back today. 

Lerner is the root, O'Neill is a big old branch. The rest of them get a pass, as inept as they were in their own ways, they were just using what they were given. 

As crazy as it sounds now...Alex McLeish wasn't as bad as he's been made out to be...he was just a lackey. 

ditto

Martin O'Neill has his true vocation......a million miles away from the transfer Market.

Martin wanted to be Brian Clough....but no one told him Peter Taylor spotted all the players......just like Tony Barton did for Ron.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, imavillan said:

Take a bow, Son.

If you think back on the MON appointment, what was it really based on? Minor **** Leicester hype, that's IT. We'd have been better off with any of the Spurs managers over that time, and a half dozen other guys. O'Neill is the biggest fraud in Premier League management history, IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

If you think back on the MON appointment, what was it really based on? Minor **** Leicester hype, that's IT. We'd have been better off with any of the Spurs managers over that time, and a half dozen other guys. O'Neill is the biggest fraud in Premier League management history, IMO.

I have to agree and I said to my pals at the time .....all these shit signings will come back to haunt us and put the club back ten years and with the 6-6-6 it was treated with contempt.

don't get me wrong, its manifested itself far worse since, but thats what happens when you fail in the transfer market.....There is no shells left to carry the fight, you have to sell some of your guns to buy shells. 

If as a football manager, you are weak in the art of transfer dealing/recruitment, even if its just identifying them, chances are you will fail in the job.

its probably 70-80% of the art of surviving......getting that bit right...... you can have coaches for the training ground, but recruitment has to be the Manager IMO.

• Like 1

Randy Lerner simply didn't/hasn't have enough money to negate our poor signings record.

With our poor signings record Record you would need Carlos Sim or Bill Gates to fund it on a personal basis.

Randy's biggest failings has been all the people he has appointed.

thats talking in just a general sense.

Drifting OT here, but had O'Neill actually RESPECTED Aston Villa Football Club, we might not be in the shit we're in now. He was more concerned with personal glory and short term success than building a foundation. He's no Brian Clough. Far from it, actually. In all honesty, I have more contempt for O'Neill than Lerner, because O'Neill should have known better... Lerner was just a dumb American looking for a hobby.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Drifting OT here, but had O'Neill actually RESPECTED Aston Villa Football Club, we might not be in the shit we're in now. He was more concerned with personal glory and short term success than building a foundation. He's no Brian Clough. Far from it, actually. In all honesty, I have more contempt for O'Neill than Lerner, because O'Neill should have known better... Lerner was just a dumb American looking for a hobby.

We may be in the minority here.....but I could not possibly agree with you more.

You are spot on.

ps but one of our ex players told me that you would not have a days training without hearing Brian did it this way, Brian did it that way

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, maqroll said:

MON in many ways was like your modern day CEO, run things for the short term only, **** the long term.

• Like 3

Â