The Randy Lerner thread

CI

I just dont think he likes players on big wages and egos to match. following players all on big salaries he discarded last season when other managers probably would have kept them on in situation we were in

Given

Warnock

Collins

Dunne

Hutton

Bent

Ireland

Makoun

That might be the case, but if Lambert is ever planning on becoming a top manager for one of the bigger teams he'll have to work on that aspect of his management.

Big egos and big wages are a natural part of football, whether Lambert likes it or not.

• Like 2

I just dont think he likes players on big wages and egos to match. following players all on big salaries he discarded last season when other managers probably would have kept them on in situation we were in

Given

Warnock

Collins

Dunne

Hutton

Bent

Ireland

Makoun

That might be the case, but if Lambert is ever planning on becoming a top manager for one of the bigger teams he'll have to work on that aspect of his management.

Big egos and big wages are a natural part of football, whether Lambert likes it or not.

He is already at a big team  ;)

Given

Warnock

Collins

Dunne

Hutton

Bent

Ireland

Makoun

Think he is fully aware of that, the difference is the above list offered nothing at all. Few have ended up in the championship and others that have stayed in the prem have just gone on to bleed their new clubs dry of 50k plus a week.

I really do not care who is to blame, I just want it fixed.

Something that Lambert did that should not be unappreciated is that he has stopped the rot.  We might not be much better than the previous season but we are not getting worse which was happening before he arrived.

In recent history when we have had quick fixes it has fallen flat again a couple of years later.  Im recalling

Taylor MK1: Brought us back from Div2, Survived Div 1 then runners up.  He left and we nearly get relegated again under Venglos

Atkinson : Turns from nearly relegated to 6th and then runners up, then 11th I think (with a CUp Win mind) and back to nearly relegated

Little Comes in : We survive Relegation (See Atkinson) then Finish 4th, 6th and we were in a low position when he left

Gregory: Steadies ship and gets 6th, 5th or was it 6th and then leaves.

Taylor MKII - We nearly get relegated

DOL : 4th, then 11th and then flirting again with relegation.

MON : 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th  Best consistency but could make the next step up

Lets forget next two :)

Lambert : Survives relegation .............

Going Back Saunders took us up in 75 from Div II.  16th First Season in Div 1, 4th in Div 1, 6th, and then I think 7th or 8th and then CHAMPIONS.

He took five years to develop his team and built three 'sides' in that period.

People are too impatient now.  Steady improvement will do me.  We need to give Lambert time and he will make mistakes, but how many of us thought Saunders had lost it selling Gray and Gidman.

Don't forget to add littles cup win in there! :)

• Like 1

One thing Lambert seems to have done well is stopped us buying overpriced and overpayed donkeys on very long contracts. OK sometimes I think we wish he would sign someone we have actually heard of but I can't really knock his transfer dealings as we seem to have unearthed a few real gems.

InterestinglyI was watching the NFL yesterday and the Browns are actually competing this season albeit in a poor division. They were rubbish yesterday but are still potentially in the playoff mix this year. What a difference  a year with a new owner makes?

Edit: been fixed Anyone seen this inexplicable link to a red bull franchisement? Sorry if I'm late to the party on this but can't look at past messages right now. I personally would be a bit excited for that but obviously will never happen and I imagine most people wouldn't like it at all

Edited by Spoony

Edit: been fixedAnyone seen this inexplicable link to a red bull franchisement? Sorry if I'm late to the party on this but can't look at past messages right now. I personally would be a bit excited for that but obviously will never happen and I imagine most people wouldn't like it at all

Red bull? Whats this all about?

Edit: been fixedAnyone seen this inexplicable link to a red bull franchisement? Sorry if I'm late to the party on this but can't look at past messages right now. I personally would be a bit excited for that but obviously will never happen and I imagine most people wouldn't like it at all

Red bull? Whats this all about?

Check the other football section.

Given

Warnock

Collins

Dunne

Hutton

Bent

Ireland

Makoun

I'm sure he'd have no problem with egos and high wages if the players warranted having either

I really do not care who is to blame, I just want it fixed.

Something that Lambert did that should not be unappreciated is that he has stopped the rot.  We might not be much better than the previous season but we are not getting worse which was happening before he arrived.

In recent history when we have had quick fixes it has fallen flat again a couple of years later.  Im recalling

Taylor MK1: Brought us back from Div2, Survived Div 1 then runners up.  He left and we nearly get relegated again under Venglos

Atkinson : Turns from nearly relegated to 6th and then runners up, then 11th I think (with a CUp Win mind) and back to nearly relegated

Little Comes in : We survive Relegation (See Atkinson) then Finish 4th, 6th and we were in a low position when he left

Gregory: Steadies ship and gets 6th, 5th or was it 6th and then leaves.

Taylor MKII - We nearly get relegated

DOL : 4th, then 11th and then flirting again with relegation.

MON : 11th, 6th, 6th, 6th  Best consistency but could make the next step up

Lets forget next two :)

Lambert : Survives relegation .............

Going Back Saunders took us up in 75 from Div II.  16th First Season in Div 1, 4th in Div 1, 6th, and then I think 7th or 8th and then CHAMPIONS.

He took five years to develop his team and built three 'sides' in that period.

People are too impatient now.  Steady improvement will do me.  We need to give Lambert time and he will make mistakes, but how many of us thought Saunders had lost it selling Gray and Gidman.

But coming in making am impact then leaving or not sustaining is very much the norm - without ozzles of cash - I can't think of many managers who have arrived at a failing club, turned it around - and sustained it. ? Don't see Lambert staying much beyond next season. He's done ok given the resources he has to work with.

Just read a list of the 50 best managers in Europe( highlighting their achievements at different clubs)... with captions from eminent people from within the game, other managers and players who they have worked with.

.......not a mention of an owners name amongst them all.

Just read a list of the 50 best managers in Europe( highlighting their achievements at different clubs)... with captions from eminent people from within the game, other managers and players who they have worked with.

When you say 50 best is this the same as the 50 most successful?

In an era where money rules and without it you simply won't be successful then the owner is more important than it has ever been. Don't get me wrong you also need a decent manager but we could have Gaurdiola right now with Mourinho as his assistant and we'd still be no better than mid table fodder.

Under Randy we have never had a wage bill any higher than the 6th highest and have never spent anywhere near enough in fees to be challenging the top 3 or 4. It is no coincidence that year in year out those that occupy the top 3 or 4 positions are those with the highest wage bills. In fact aside from the odd exception the top 6 will be occupied by those with the highest wage bills. It has been that way for years and won't be changing any time soon.

Edited by markavfc40

When you say 50 best is this the same as the 50 most successful?

In an era where money rules and without it you simply won't be successful then the owner is more important than it has ever been. Don't get me wrong you also need a decent manager but we could have Gaurdiola right now with Mourinho as his assistant and we'd still be no better than mid table fodder.

Under Randy we have never had a wage bill any higher than the 6th highest and have never spent anywhere near enough in fees to be challenging the top 3 or 4. It is no coincidence that year in year out those that occupy the top 3 or 4 positions are those with the highest wage bills. In fact aside from the odd exception the top 6 will be occupied by those with the highest wage bills. It has been that way for years and won't be changing any time soon.

They say best, but I guess they mean both....and yes a manager needs money like a fire needs oxygen.

Of course you need money, mark, I'm not denying that, but you also need the nous to spend it effectively.

I purposely cited Ron Bendall, because he was never well known for funding benevolently, but we won the Euro cup in his reign ,as did Mourinho with Porto and little money.

To be fair at least Man U and Arsenal can justify their wage bills with the amount of revenue they pull in. 

Every football fan in the country should be livid with what Chelsea and Man City have done. Pissing away hundreds of millions of pounds away every year. Money that has been generated from the natural resources of foreign countries. Disgraceful really. 

The only good thing to say is well at least the country is raking in some extra tax revenue. As a football fan though it's a disgrace. 

To be fair at least Man U and Arsenal can justify their wage bills with the amount of revenue they pull in. 

Every football fan in the country should be livid with what Chelsea and Man City have done. Pissing away hundreds of millions of pounds away every year. Money that has been generated from the natural resources of foreign countries. Disgraceful really. 

The only good thing to say is well at least the country is raking in some extra tax revenue. As a football fan though it's a disgrace.

Yeah that's the worst thing about current football, it's not the fact that certain teams can spend so much more, but the fact that they can waste so much more than others. We spent and wasted a shitload but are paying for it, whereas teams can spend a fortune on Wright-Phillips or Santa Cruz and it means nothing to them. We sort of had one chance and blew it.

• Like 1

So if an owner isn't important I take it you had no issues with Doug.

Â