The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Finishing 2nd under BFR, finishing 4th and 5th under Sir Brian and winning the League Cup.  Exciting players, great managers and great football.  Brilliant times to be a Villa fan.

• Like 2

Finishing 2nd under BFR, finishing 4th and 5th under Sir Brian and winning the League Cup.  Exciting players, great managers and great football.  Brilliant times to be a Villa fan.

I was a teenager during these years! :)

Brilliant times!

I agree entirely, but I suspect that BJ10 wasn't around during that era.

I just remember some of the most beautiful football I have ever seen and believing we could win any game no matter the opponent.

Loved it!

And looking forward to the next home game.

For our next home game I get off a plane at 1 and we kick off at 1:30.

Should I blast from BHX to VP, or think 'sod it' and go home?

The armchair beckons!

I just remember some of the most beautiful football I have ever seen and believing we could win any game no matter the opponent.

Loved it!

And looking forward to the next home game.

For our next home game I get off a plane at 1 and we kick off at 1:30.

Should I blast from BHX to VP, or think 'sod it' and go home?

The armchair beckons!

Great memories and I hope we can have more of the same one day, when I have a kid I want him experience it. :)

As for the next home game, no doubt they will be back on form by then.

:(

Better than Doug?

For me I've never experienced a worse 3 years than the last 3 so not for me.

Just as a matter of interest, what were the best three years that you experienced?

Really enjoyed a couple of seasons under JG and although i ended up hating the man i enjoyed the first season with DOL and of course i enjoyed the last 3 years with MON.

Better than Doug?

Just as a matter of interest, what were the best three years that you experienced?

Really enjoyed a couple of seasons under JG and although i ended up hating the man i enjoyed the first season with DOL and of course i enjoyed the last 3 years with MON.

Nice side step BJ10 :)

So which were the best three?

• Like 1

Better than Doug?

I'd say final year with MON is probably number 1 and the other MON years are close to or on par with the other 2 seasons you mentioned.

I can see the point you're trying to make and i'll never say i didn't admit the first few years under lerner.

Better than Doug?

I'd say final year with MON is probably number 1 and the other MON years are close to or on par with the other 2 seasons you mentioned.

I can see the point you're trying to make and i'll never say i didn't admit the first few years under lerner.

I appreciate the honesty of your response.

And yes, if the last three years have been your worst because of Lerner, then the preceding best three years must have been because of him as well.

Weigh your 50% success rate against the perhaps 5 out of 34 that we got under Ellis. You have a while to get down to our percentage!

I understand that O'Neill gave the younger generation (25 and under) good memories, because they pretty much knew of only despair prior to that three years, and that is why he is revered by some. But the man had more opportunity than any of his predecessors, or successors for that matter, and he blew it because of his own inadequacies, which is why I am happy to continue to nominate him as the worst Villa manager in history.

• Like 2

I'd agree with that thetrees.  Just think if the naive Lerner had given his many millions to a decent manager.  Somebody who wouldn't have spunked more than half of it on the likes of Zat Knight, Marlon Harewood, Nigel Reo-Coker and Emile Heskey.

• Like 1

For me though there weren't that many under Doug that bad, most of the time during my period as a fan under doug we were a top 7/8 side, won a trophy and played in europe.

While i enjoyed mon's last year more than others nothing under lerner has been that much better than what i experienced under doug whereas the mcleish year was easily the worst supporting year i've had and houllier and last year come very close to matching it.

I'd agree with that thetrees.  Just think if the naive Lerner had given his many millions to a decent manager.  Somebody who wouldn't have spunked more than half of it on the likes of Zat Knight, Marlon Harewood, Nigel Reo-Coker and Emile Heskey.

And, probably the point that I should have made, the opportunity that was in the hands of O'Neill was our opportunity, the long suffering supporters, the opportunity that we had longed for, and he completely, recklessly blew it.

And for that I shall never forgive.

For me though there weren't that many under Doug that bad, most of the time during my period as a fan under doug we were a top 7/8 side, won a trophy and played in europe.

While i enjoyed mon's last year more than others nothing under lerner has been that much better than what i experienced under doug whereas the mcleish year was easily the worst supporting year i've had and houllier and last year come very close to matching it.

To be fair, football has changed since the Ellis-era. There's a lot less parity nowadays.

I think I'd go with this. I just missed out on the 81/82 seasons as I was only 8/9 years old. That 95/96 season was great. League Cup winners, finishing 4th and FA cup semi finalists.

I'd also have to mention the 89/90 season under GT. We massively over achieved by finishing second and caused a right few upsets.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

I think I'd go with this. I just missed out on the 81/82 seasons as I was only 8/9 years old. That 95/96 season was great. League Cup winners, finishing 4th and FA cup semi finalists.

I'd also have to mention the 89/90 season under GT. We massively over achieved by finishing second and caused a right few upsets.

I was 16 years old when we won the league so that season under Ron Saunders was a blast. I was lucky enough to hgave a season ticket and there were 4 of us that travelled to just about every game that season either on the coach or with one of our parents so I have so many memories including the last game at Highgury.

The football under BFR was so easy on the eye and for a time the O'Neill era threatened to replicate that.

The footballing landscape has changed now and to compare the Lerner reign to HDE's is irrelevant. In Doug's day it was always possible a club like Forest could gatecrash the party and win the league, now it's impossible without throwing tens of millions of pounds at it.

For me I was far more frustrated under Ellis as we were arguably within touching distance of winning more honours but he refused to splash the cash whereas Lerner gambled and failed and now we're suffering the consequences of that.

• Like 1

To be fair, football has changed since the Ellis-era. There's a lot less parity nowadays.

You won't be hearing BJ10 acknowledge that though.

Â