The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Good young team of mainly low earners, many of the high wagers probably leaving in the summer, such as Given, Bent, Ireland, Dunne & sadly have to include Stan in that too, wouldn't be surprised to see Holman leave either. Also think quite a few fringe players like Bannan and The Fonz will go. Another new sponsorship deal on the cards and the largest ever payment of tv money to come. We also have a manager who likes to attack.

I think there is quite a feel good factor surrounding the club at the moment, its in good shape and possibly at its most stable for many years. It will be interesting to see how much Randy decides to spend this summer but imo its a good time to be a Villa fan.

Edited by Houlston

We're definitely over the worst of the car crash O'Neil left us with

Do you mean the car crash that houllier and Mcleish left?

Because MoN left a squad that had just finished 6th and left us with the ability to spend a fair amount of m

Do you mean the car crash that houllier and Mcleish left?

Because MoN left a squad that had just finished 6th and left us with the ability to spend a fair amount of money on new players.

Because MoN left a squad that had just finished 6th and left us with the ability to spend a fair amount of money on new players.

Wether you think MON did a good job or not, I don't think anyone could say he left us with the ability to spend money on new players. The reason we were **** and losing money hand over fist is the amount of average players on ridiculous wages that no one wanted to buy, and wasn't good enough to play.

Now I've never agreed with the opinion that MONs tenure was a disaster it was ok, infact on the pitch was good, but he's behind Taylor, Atkinson, Gregory, Little and DOL for me.

• Like 1

Wether you think MON did a good job or not, I don't think anyone could say he left us with the ability to spend money on new players. The reason we were **** and losing money hand over fist is the amount of average players on ridiculous wages that no one wanted to buy, and wasn't good enough to play.

Now I've never agreed with the opinion that MONs tenure was a disaster it was ok, infact on the pitch was good, but he's behind Taylor, Atkinson, Gregory, Little and DOL for me.

Martin O'Neills tenure a disaster, is there for debate interms of results ok... in terms of performances and recruitment not so good.

Personally I terminated my season ticket under O'Neill and recinded it under Lambert so that tells you where I stand.

I would wager we will do far better with Lambert than O'Neill in the longer term.

Ps It seems after a great start with Sunderland even they had to find out the hard way.

PPS ....Results are entirely different to performances....& Martin O'Neills problem is ...he thought he was Brian Clough who could create both.He could only get results at times/in a fashion.

I can agree with the first part of that, but the second part I'd disagree with - he'd spent everything we'd got to get us the first part and he almost got us a first part that was worth it - a failed gamble, a busted flush from both O'Neill and from Lerner and it left us skint.

Lerner has made more than a couple of mistakes since then to make sure we've stayed that way, but blind luck, good judgement or just staying at the table long enough has meant that right now he might be on his way to learning a lesson and coming out stronger - or not. 

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that Lerner has any more clue about what he's doing now than at any point in his tenure. He doesn't even seem that interested any more. Fortunately, Lambert seems to have a plan that can be executed within Lerner's new financial constraints, so, as long as he stays, and if he is as lucky as, say, Roberto Martinez, we could be looking at Premier League football for a few more seasons yet.

There doesn't seem to be much evidence that Lerner has any more clue about what he's doing now than at any point in his tenure. He doesn't even seem that interested any more. Fortunately, Lambert seems to have a plan that can be executed within Lerner's new financial constraints, so, as long as he stays, and if he is as lucky as, say, Roberto Martinez, we could be looking at Premier League football for a few more seasons yet.

Seriously?

So firing McLeish and hiring Lambert was not an indicator of improved decision making?

So lowering our ridiculous wage bill does not show that Lerner has learned from past mistakes?

So making 20mill available to Lambert shows he's no longer interested?

Next you'll be touting that we were better off under Doug.

• Like 1

I'd hate a super rich owner to come in.

We're building something properly here and not relying on ridiculous sums of money and it's quite refreshing.

A couple of bad results and none of it would have been refreshing at all. Bottom line is we need money, and lots of it, to challenge for Europe. I'm all for building from the bottom up with young hungry players, but a few proven veteran stalwarts are needed if we really want to push on, leave relegation fights behind us, and reestablish Aston Villa as a power.

I think this summer will show Lerner's interest in Villa. If he can see what we see in the current set up I would expect him to back Lambert with more than £20m this time around. Lambert has proven that he can sign decent young players on relatively "low" wages and get a fair few of them playing in a way that has vastly increased their price tag.

The trust has been earnt Randy, now please put some faith into the man in charge and give him the right funding so that he can go out and buy the required players so that he can make the defence and midfield as good as our exciting forward line. You never know what might happen after that. Maybe we could finish high enough in the league next season to make Benteke stay on even longer and we can go on to better things from there!

Lerner should back Lambert as he pretty much safeguarded his investment in the club. Relegation would have been an utter disaster and one that unlike a few others who thought we would bounce straight back I could have seen us become just another Championship team for the foreseeable future.

I suspect any success we have in the future will be despite Lerner rather than because of. I would prefer him to sell to a shrewd business man who actually has people on the board who understand the game both on and off the field - at the moment we have neither.

• Like 1

The way I see it is that " You get what you pay for " 

We proved that this season and last season,if Lerner does not come to the table now then we are destined to be another Wigan type club ?

Seriously?

So firing McLeish and hiring Lambert was not an indicator of improved decision making?

So lowering our ridiculous wage bill does not show that Lerner has learned from past mistakes?

So making 20mill available to Lambert shows he's no longer interested?

Next you'll be touting that we were better off under Doug.

The comment in that last sentence is the sort of thing I hoped people had grown out of.

However, since Lerner has just delivered us three relegation struggles in a row,.. :detect:

We proved that this season and last season,if Lerner does not come to the table now then we are destined to be another Wigan type club ?

Don't think we got what we paid for with N'Zogbia, Ireland, Hutton etc....

If Lerner throws another £20m into the kitty plus sales (as he has done most summers) we're in as good a position as any team outside of the top 6 - especially when you consider we've cleared a fair bit of salary space and will probably clear more. Don't think the likes of Fulham, Everton, Stoke, Newcastle etc can afford to increase their salary bills much more than they currently are. We on the other hand will likely be able to.

We're miles miles better than Wigan.

Don't think we got what we paid for with N'Zogbia, Ireland, Hutton etc....

If Lerner throws another £20m into the kitty plus sales (as he has done most summers) we're in as good a position as any team outside of the top 6 - especially when you consider we've cleared a fair bit of salary space and will probably clear more. Don't think the likes of Fulham, Everton, Stoke, Newcastle etc can afford to increase their salary bills much more than they currently are. We on the other hand will likely be able to.

We're miles miles better than Wigan.

What I meant is: The BIG spenders are at the top the LOW spenders are at the bottom.

I hope we are not going to be another Wigan...eg spend low and expect to be a PL team for ever.

Â