The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Lerners been a failure for the last 2-3 years. He has humilated the club from his bumbling around and getting rejecting from martinez (who was bottom of the league at the time), to the failure appointments of Houllier and Mcleish. Then finally he manages to get a decent manager in like paul Lambert but refuses to support him when he desperately needs abit of help. Lambert did ever so well to get to semi final and the world could see we needed a CM for these games (our best chance to win something)and in the battle to survive but he does his usual magician act and disappears. He didnt support the manager and he is forced to play the likes of bannan as there is no-one else. I will never forgive lerner for taking us down when it happens He failed at the browns and has failed at Aston Villa too, and will be a even bigger failure once we get relegated. He cant hide behind the manager forever.

• Like 2

He's had his last penny out of me, I'm gutted to see what he's done to our club, and it hurts not going to VP, but I just can't stand watching this shit any more. Why would I want to pay what little money I have getting pissed off on our terraces wishing I was somewhere else, I just don't enjoy watching Villa any more, in fact I've fallen out of love with football altogether.

Lerners been a failure for the last 2-3 years. He has humilated the club from his bumbling around and getting rejecting from martinez (who was bottom of the league at the time), to the failure appointments of Houllier and Mcleish. Then finally he manages to get a decent manager in like paul Lambert but refuses to support him when he desperately needs abit of help. Lambert did ever so well to get to semi final and the world could see we needed a CM for these games (our best chance to win something)and in the battle to survive but he does his usual magician act and disappears. He didnt support the manager and he is forced to play the likes of bannan as there is no-one else. I will never forgive lerner for taking us down when it happens He failed at the browns and has failed at Aston Villa too, and will be a even bigger failure once we get relegated. He cant hide behind the manager forever.

Top post Dem,  cut through all the shit

This for me is why unlike you i think we do have a right to demand that he spends. As owner he does need to do whats best for the club and while you might not mind relegation i can in no way accept that relegation can be right for this club.

Absolutely.  Take on the club and make promises to achieve,  you have to back those promises.  he has not.

He's had his last penny out of me, I'm gutted to see what he's done to our club, and it hurts not going to VP, but I just can't stand watching this shit any more. Why would I want to pay what little money I have getting pissed off on our terraces wishing I was somewhere else, I just don't enjoy watching Villa any more, in fact I've fallen out of love with football altogether.

Ditto this ^^^

I find that villatalk is far more interesting than watching Villa actually play these days.. Its a bit like watching a really fascinating soap opera albeit somewhat depressing. But at least on villatalk you sometimes get your hopes lifted, even though lately they are always dashed again pretty quickly, whereas watching the team actually play is just a constant & painful reminder of how poor they are.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

Lerner has put us in this mess, he should get us out of it with his personal funds. Doesn't sound like he has any intention though. He's happy to let us go down without any help. Lerner should stay well away from sports teams in future, he is a terrible owner.

Through thick and thin my friend. Through the good times and the bad. When the shit hits the fan we stand united, not flee and hide and wait for it to go away. We tackle it head on, cheer them on till the final whistle.

In difficult times, the easy option is to walk away.

(not having a pop by the way) just saying lets stick together, even when Randy makes it so difficult.

Lerner has put us in this mess, he should get us out of it with his personal funds. Doesn't sound like he has any intention though. He's happy to let us go down without any help. Lerner should stay well away from sports teams in future, he is a terrible owner.

I absolutely agree.  It's a money game.  Has been for a while.  No good harking back to some bygone era as much as we may want it.

I'm amazed that we have this revenue stream,  an owner of wealth (not substantial but wealth neverthe less) the potential to lose 60M in the summer,  players going our of contract anyway and yet we cannot spend as much as some other clubs in our position,  in fact we are outspent by them.

Through thick and thin my friend. Through the good times and the bad. When the shit hits the fan we stand united, not flee and hide and wait for it to go away. We tackle it head on, cheer them on till the final whistle.

(not having a pop by the way) just saying lets stick together, even when Randy makes it so difficult.

Great.  Do you think Lerner is sticking to those principles of through the good and bad?  Or is he hiding away?

I absolutely agree.  It's a money game.  Has been for a while.  No good harking back to some bygone era as much as we may want it.

I'm amazed that we have this revenue stream,  an owner of wealth (not substantial but wealth neverthe less) the potential to lose 60M in the summer,  players going our of contract anyway and yet we cannot spend as much as some other clubs in our position,  in fact we are outspent by them.

Great.  Do you think Lerner is sticking to those principles of through the good and bad?  Or is he hiding away?

Hiding away Rich, no doubt about it - I'm just talking about us as fans. I'm going again tonight and feel a little like I've got MUG written across my forehead.

But what else are we suppossed to do??

Stay away and leave an empty ground to add to the strong stench of relegation? the final nail in the coffin is ours, I'd rather not nail it in untill the Maths shows we're finished.

I'm not fleeing or hiding my friend, I just don't have the money or the heart to warrant watchin this dross week in week out. I see no point in attending games when it's guaranteed to leave me pissed off and very frustrated.

I've been watching us from The Holte since 1984, even when we went down I still attended, through thick and thin you might say, the difference back then though was I still had a certain level of hope and belief, and what's more the admission charges were nothing like they are in todays game.

We also had back then a chairman to shout at and vent our feelings, not that it did anygood mind, but the current bell end we have in charge refuses to give any indication as to where we're going and is nowhere to be seen, why would I want to give what little cash I do have to him.

Good for you if you can continue putting yourself through it, but personally it's all over for me, well, untill Lerner has **** off that is.

Agree with most of it, but giving Lambert £20m in the summer and he's spent most of it on players that weren't good enough. As for not backing managers in Jan, didn't we buy Bent in Jan when we were in the shite? Lerner's not done a great job by any means, by Lambert is a far terrible manager than I thought. His tactics, team selection and subs for the most part are shocking.

£20M and most of it on players who aren't good enough?

Benteke = 7M

Westwood = 3M

Vlaar = 3M

Lowton = 2,5M

They are all good enough and that is most ot the 20M right there

Doubts over KEA and Bennett granted and Bowery at 200K well,  even though we are not even spending that much now it is hardly a waste

The real issue has been on players here,  not players he has signed.

Bent,  Ireland ,  Nzogbia (until the last game and a half),  Bannan,  Gabby, Delph, Dunne.  These are all players who for one reason or another, have not helped this season.  Sum total of all of those players ? 50M in transfer fees alone.

• Like 1

Sorry Richard you can't sign 3 defenders have the worst defence in the league and be praised for your signings.

Benteke is an awesome signing.

The rest are average players, not really better than what we have and at this current moment are potential good players.

Benteke = 7M

Westwood = 3M

Vlaar = 3M

Lowton = 2,5M

Doubts over KEA and Bennett granted and Bowery at 200K well,  even though we are not even spending that much now it is hardly a waste

Bent,  Ireland ,  Nzogbia (until the last game and a half),  Bannan,  Gabby, Delph, Dunne.  These are all players who for one reason or another, have not helped this season.  Sum total of all of those players ? 50M in transfer fees alone.

Delph has been lot better than Bannan and Gabby in the last 3-4 games he's played in and seems to be forming at least potentially compatitive midfield with Westwood, hopefully he keeps it up and stays off from stupid reckless tackles.

Sorry Richard you can't sign 3 defenders have the worst defence in the league and be praised for your signings.

Benteke is an awesome signing.

The rest are average players, not really better than what we have and at this current moment are potential good players.

I'd make the case that in terms of wages all our signings have been improvements, if Ireland earns 5 times more than Westwood which I think is probably close enough in terms of an estimate, he's a better player than Ireland. If Hutton earns 35k a week and Lowton does a better job for 15k he's a better signing. At the start of the season our biggest problem was with the back four and the kind of money they were on, we all knew it was going to be tough, and a lot of people on here said they'd take 17th, we're not down yet.

I'd make the case that in terms of wages all our signings have been improvements, if Ireland earns 5 times more than Westwood which I think is probably close enough in terms of an estimate, he's a better player than Ireland. If Hutton earns 35k a week and Lowton does a better job for 15k he's a better signing. At the start of the season our biggest problem was with the back four and the kind of money they were on, we all knew it was going to be tough, and a lot of people on here said they'd take 17th, we're not down yet.

We've got cheaper players yet they've contributed to us becoming a worse team.

Yes the wage bill is down and while I fully agree with people who claim lambert wasn't backed I'm also not going to praise his signings or claim its proof we'll be fantastic in the future.

Benteke = 7M

Westwood = 3M

Vlaar = 3M

Lowton = 2,5M

I agree totally.  Lambert's biggest task this season was as a coach to get the best out of the players he inherited and that just hasn't happened.  His signings should have filled holes that needed filling and to be fair to them have largely been successful for the money spent, but it's not made a difference to the team's performance because of how shit the likes of Ireland and N'Zogbia have been.  They really have let the team down and this is where I have sympathy with Lerner and Lambert.

Cannot still comprehend why there have been no funds available to buy players this transfer window. Bent saved us under Houllier do he knows it works. Is there another Billionaire owner in the Premier league who is so tight and treating there football club so badly, I dont think so! I can hardly believe its Lerners doing, is it Lambert refusing up sign untried players for over the top fees???

Cannot still comprehend why there have been no funds available to buy players this transfer window. Bent saved us under Houllier so he knows it works...

I'm not syaing this is my view, but maybe he thinks "24 million for Bent, plus wages of [say] 80 grand a week, that's another 4 million a year over 3 years so far, that's 36 million. So it cost "me" 36 million to save how much?....

If we go on (the clubs spokesman) Brian Dougan's performance on Radio WM tonight, then we are truly and royally fcuked. Ive never heared a more clueless and out of touch club officiall in all my life. The guy came on in attempt to get the fans on board, but has probably added a few thousand more voices to the Lerner must sell up call.

We are being run by clowns, and if you dont believe that, then go and listen to the recording.

Â