The Randy Lerner thread

CI

The fact that he's identified and talked to a really promising young manager in OGS shows that Randy does indeed have a clue. If he were to appoint OGS and it went well then he can take a lot of credit. If things don't go well then both Randy and the fans will hold their collective hands up and say "at least we gave it a real go!"

I've edited this post to say to RL .... BE DECISIVE .... stop being so damned nice!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Do you think Lerner realises our squad needs major overhaul and understands what is needed there in terms of time, planning, cash or do you think he thinks our squad is OK ?

Do you think Lerner realises our squad needs major overhaul and understands what is needed there in terms of time, planning, cash or do you think he thinks our squad is OK ?

Every indication seems to be that he realises it. Relegation will have scared him like it did when we got Bent. I think he will release funds and we will spend the most outside the top 6. I would be suprised if we didn't spend £15-£20m Net.

He will probably spend but (and this isn't unreasonable at all) he'll want more value for that investment than he got under MON and the last two botched appointments.

So whoever the next bloke is, he will have to make £15+ million (don't think we can spend any less than that) stretch much further. This will (hopefully) mean we move away from relying on the overpriced domestic market.

Only the next three months, including the appointment of a new manager, can answer that I think, Richard.

Richard

Several months ago I was told by a family of Villa fans who have four executive season tickets that they met Lerner whilst at Cleveland Browns in July last year and that they had had a long chat with him.

He told them that "the priority for next (last 11/12) season was to reduce the wage bill" and that he would be investing in the summer of 2012.

As they say "don't shoot the messenger" and "seeing is believing" but they said he realised that he has to invest and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

I happen to subscribe (albeit cautiously) to that Mike. Coupled with the fact you won't attract a currently employed manager from a job where he's doing well if you can't offer him something atttractive in the way of transfer budget. Merely approaching them gives them bargaining room to improve their wages where they are. That's why if we get PL or RM I think it might be because there's money there. Of course it remains to be seen and people are well within their rights to be doubtful. I just think this time, with timing being everything, it all adds up or at least points towards a looser purse string.

Deserves credit for :

Getting rid of McLeish

Getting Lambert in

Obviously also has his negatives (hiring McLeish in the first place etc) but w/e what's done is done, it's a good start and hopefully he'll give Lambert some (to be honest we need more than just "some") money to rebuild this squad.

Credit where credit is due. Well done Randy. :thumb: Now you need to back him to rebuild the squad :flag:

Indeed I agree, infact I said somewhere in this thread it's his last chance with me to appoint a decent manager, and I think he has. Yes Lambert might fail, but it's a correct move. Infact I liked the fact to talked to Solskær makes me think they realise last seasons mistake.

But and it's a big but, this squad needs some serious improvements, Lambertie needs to pull some serious bargains out of his back pocket.

Â