The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He is simply reacting to the inevitable, by saying its no longer for sale.

The fact appears that he has no buyer for what he wants to sell for....impasse

That renders status Quo....He is simply Lumbered.

I do not think that he is saying that it is not for sale, Tro, but that it is up for sale if someone comes along - he is just not actively searching for buyers.

I think one of the big issues also is we overpay for english talent when it costs more than foreign talent and performs worse. Darren Bent's signing and wages alone have cost us over £50m. More than both of Angel and Benteke's signing fees and wages combined. 

We had the same issue with Stan Collymore back in the 90s. 

N'Zogbia cost us £34m over his contract as well. 

Does anyone recall how much it cost us to acquire Nolberto Solano? There are always cheaper alternatives out there.

Given cost us £29m

That's over £113m in outlay on three players over the past 3-4 years. And not a single one has made any kind of real positive impact on this team in the long term.

For that kind of money there are so many players you could have acquired that were much, much, better. 

Not that I disagree with the notion, but really wonder how you've got to these 50m, 34m and 29m figures.

Those are all players on 175k. That's around 8.4m a year over a period of 4 years.

I do not think that he is saying that it is not for sale, Tro, but that it is up for sale if someone comes along - he is just not actively searching for buyers.

Most of the teams in the league are for sale, even Chelsea, they are just not actively looking for a buyer.

Yes, I understand that...but my point was it was up for sale, but because no interested parties came forward ( presumably) he rendered the club as he was not pursuing buyers for it, its just paying homage to the inevitable....its semantics.

If you have a commodity and keep lowering the price you are distressing the sale or in fact if no one is interested in your price.....you have no alternative but to take it off the market, its not necessarily a change of heart is my point.

I think one of the big issues also is we overpay for english talent when it costs more than foreign talent and performs worse. Darren Bent's signing and wages alone have cost us over £50m. More than both of Angel and Benteke's signing fees and wages combined. 

We had the same issue with Stan Collymore back in the 90s. 

N'Zogbia cost us £34m over his contract as well. 

Does anyone recall how much it cost us to acquire Nolberto Solano? There are always cheaper alternatives out there.

Given cost us £29m

That's over £113m in outlay on three players over the past 3-4 years. And not a single one has made any kind of real positive impact on this team in the long term.

For that kind of money there are so many players you could have acquired that were much, much, better. 

Not that I disagree with the notion, but really wonder how you've got to these 50m, 34m and 29m figures.

Those are all players on 175k. That's around 8.4m a year over a period of 4 years.

So that's about £33m in wages. There isn't £80m in fees there?

Maybe half that at the very most, the few were reported at £24m if all clauses were met for Bent, £3.5m for Given and £9.5m for N'Zogbia. The total cost of those players would be about £68m including wages I'd have thought, based on reported figures.

Which is still a massive waste of money.

.......which means we have no one interested.

at Lerner's asking price anyway.

It does kind of have a tendency to say, if they can't /won't afford Lerners asking price, its unlikely they can fund a rebuilding programme.

• Like 1

It does kind of have a tendency to say, if they can't /won't afford Lerners asking price, its unlikely they can fund a rebuilding programme.

No it says no one thinks his price is realistic. Rich people don't give their money away unless it's philanthropy. AVFC doesn't fall into that category.

It's a business deal not save Randy Lerner's ass deal.

No it says no one thinks his price is realistic. Rich people don't give their money away unless it's philanthropy. AVFC doesn't fall into that category.

And as a business, Premier league sides fall into two categories, big before FFP and not big before FFP. We're in the latter category, which as a business model means buy cheap and spend the bare minimum and you might come out with a small profit.

We don't need a businessman, we need a benefactor - Premier league football clubs outside of the top six are terrible investments.

• Like 1

Even with a benefactor we can still only spend what we earn so our hands are still tied.

FFP has ruined competition by not allowing owners to spunk their money up the wall of they want to.

As long as clubs are not hampered by the debt what does it matter.

That's what should have happened and that is what needs to be challenged in the courts.

Until that day all but the biggest earning clubs in the league are all in the same boat. Just trying to survive.

Football is philanthropy. Few clubs turn a healthy profit.

Only half true, most clubs have owners that operate through brand association, they have a PL football club that may or may not make money but at the same time they have businesses or business partnerships that make a lot of money on the side of the club, man city's owners being a prime example, lost a fortune on city, made a killing using city to promote everything else they own

Randy has nothing on the side to prop him up, even fernandes pissing money at QPR can still use the club to make money elsewhere

• Like 1

Philanthropy is one thing when it actually is worthwhile doing. When you're hampered by FFP it becomes pointless as you can't spend anyway.

• Like 2

Philanthropy is one thing when it actually is worthwhile doing. When you're hampered by FFP it becomes pointless as you can't spend anyway.

Which I think is absolutely the key to why no one wants the football club - you'd have to be a moron or a fan to own Villa right now.

Which I think is absolutely the key to why no one wants the football club - you'd have to be a moron or a fan to own Villa right now.

and,  apparently,  we have both

• Like 2

If there is no current prospect of a sale and no real prospect of our custodian making the sort of money available that we would need to spend to stop this season after season relegation fight happening again next season (should we stay up this time) has he considered seeking outside investment (to use on new players/staff) for a share of the club? He will lose total control of the club but he would lose a lot more if we were to be relegated and it works well enough at Arsenal.    

Â