Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

I think the main thing Sylla does well which nobody seems to have mentioned is that whenever he passes he then runs into space to try and get it back.

If you watch him he is always on the move which really sticks out like a sore thumb in our team because virtually no one else does it.

His pass and move ethos is creating far more room in midfield for Bannan and Westwood to play which is why our possession stats are far higher with him in the team.

For what it's worth I think it is tough on N'Zogbia that he has had to miss out but 2 wins in 2 says it all

• Like 3

I think it was the ref's shoddy performance that cut Sylla's afternoon short on Sat. Sylla was getting called over for every 50/50, whether he won the ball fairly or not. Can only judge him on the amount we paid for him, his wages and where he's come from, and based on those factors he's looked decent so far.

I think the main thing Sylla does well which nobody seems to have mentioned is that whenever he passes he then runs into space to try and get it back.

If you watch him he is always on the move which really sticks out like a sore thumb in our team because virtually no one else does it.

His pass and move ethos is creating far more room in midfield for Bannan and Westwood to play which is why our possession stats are far higher with him in the team.

For what it's worth I think it is tough on N'Zogbia that he has had to miss out but 2 wins in 2 says it all

This so much. He's one of our few players that's always looking for that little pocket. He might only play a one touch pass backwards but it makes us a little less static and opens room for Bannan and Westwood to turn forward and look for options instead of being under pressure.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but before the game Saturday Peter McParland gave a speech about things that have been going wrong and how important beating QPR would be. During this little rally cry he managed to drop in an off the cuff remark about 'Sylla Black' it was majestic.

• 2 weeks later...

those of you criticising Sylla for not getting forward enough.

he is a DM.

remember all the moaning how we didn't have a DM.

now we have one, you are moaning the DM is a DM and is not getting forward enough.

as I have suspected for a while, no player in our team will ever be free from criticism unless they are world class at absolutely everything.

• Like 1

Would really help our CMs if they could actually play in their positions, they get dragged all over the places because there is no cover for the full backs due to the system we play. They would do a lot better in a 4-4-2 or a proper 4-5-1 system.

I really like this kid and appreciate how he is probably one of a few players who actually tries and takes the ball off opposition players in the midfield areas. He's young and will only get better and soon will be able to adapt his play and you'll start seeing more of a definitive playing style from him. 

Looked like he was told to go and do a marking job on Lucas, which I thought he did reasonably well. And looked as good on the ball as anyone in this game (thought Westwood was unusually poor)

Trouble is it seemed to make Liverpool play the early ball in to Suarez or Coutinho to some success.
I'd like to see him play deeper in front of the centre backs and stay there, stop the danger men getting the ball in space so much.

Â