Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Controversial comment coming up:

I reckon that we, as fans, have over-egged Sylla a little bit since the end of the season. He is a good player, and I think he'll be important going into the new season, but he does have a fair few limitations, a lot of which seem to have been forgotten since last year. Sure, every player has limitations, but I don't want to see people criticising him this year because, perhaps, he isn't performing as well as people would like him to. He is still a young player, who has recently arrived from an inferior foreign league and we all need to remember that.

I don't think that's harsh at all. He's still a lot to learn. Though I will say having watched him against Luton, despite having a below par game, there's a certain maturity about him I didn't see at first. He LOOKS like a premier league footballer.

I think he's going to be very good.

• Like 1

Controversial comment coming up:

I reckon that we, as fans, have over-egged Sylla a little bit since the end of the season. He is a good player, and I think he'll be important going into the new season, but he does have a fair few limitations, a lot of which seem to have been forgotten since last year. Sure, every player has limitations, but I don't want to see people criticising him this year because, perhaps, he isn't performing as well as people would like him to. He is still a young player, who has recently arrived from an inferior foreign league and we all need to remember that.

I don't think that's harsh at all. He's still a lot to learn. Though I will say having watched him against Luton, despite having a below par game, there's a certain maturity about him I didn't see at first. He LOOKS like a premier league footballer.

I think he's going to be very good.

His first game for us was rocky, for obvious reasons, imagine coming from the French Ligue 2 into a huge stadium in England with nearly 40,000 fans!

After that though his composure has been incredible, he never seems to get worried under pressure, definitely agree that he looks the part.

I think sylla adds something that our midfield was lacking and he has looked a real bargain for what we paid, i see him developing into a really good player for us in the coming years , very pleased we got him.

I think he is our key midfielder.Has pace, aggression, presence, and no small amount of ability.Against Chelsk he looked a really good player.Not forgetting he only arrived in Jan, and was playing 2nd division French football, i'm hoping for, but not expecting, good things this season.

I reckon if lambert intends to play this guy week in week out then by the end of the season the pundits will be talking about him like they were Tiote after his first season.

I actually think he is better on the ball than Tiote though. He's got all the defensive and physical attributes that NRC had but also has the attributes NRC was desperately missing.

Such as composure, a bit of skill and a good passing range. Absolutely vital to our midfield three.

If only we could get a classy AM because alongside Sylla and Westwood that would be a potentially great midfield

• Like 1

I think sometimes he's not ambitious enough and goes backwards when a simple forward ball is on, Westwood is almost never guilty of passing he back when he should be passing it forwards.

Sylla is pretty good though.

He's been given his chance , coming from absolutely nowhere and grabbed it. Honest, hard-working and deceptively powerful player.

I think theres a goal or two in him as well.

I think sometimes he's not ambitious enough and goes backwards when a simple forward ball is on, Westwood is almost never guilty of passing he back when he should be passing it forwards.

His range of passing will improve as he becomes more confident. Its evident already, the first few games he only seemed to play the simple, backwards 5 yard ball. I just watched the Sunderland game again and his range of passing varied from the more ambitious forward ball to the safer backwards ball.

What i'm trying to say in a long winded way is that Sylla appears to have unknown potential and with a full pre season under his belt and more experience we could well have a very, very good Premier League player on our hands.

• Like 2

His range of passing will improve as he becomes more confident. Its evident already, the first few games he only seemed to play the simple, backwards 5 yard ball. I just watched the Sunderland game again and his range of passing varied from the more ambitious forward ball to the safer backwards ball.

What i'm trying to say in a long winded way is that Sylla appears to have unknown potential and with a full pre season under his belt and more experience we could well have a very, very good Premier League player on our hands.

I've noticed in these few pre-season games that he has tried to play some longer/more creative passes. They haven't always come off but I guess it isn't really 'his game'. We have Westwood to do that and although it would be great if Sylla could add it to his locker, I think the combination of Sylla and Westwood (the physical/defensive player and the creative/playmaker player) works really well.

I agree that he has unknown potential, it will be really interesting watching how he develops this season but I definitely think he looks like he will excel.

Could be big shoes to fill but he reminds me of Alex Song in a way. Song didn't really have that great of a pass when he first started at Arsenal but it improved as time went on. I think Sylla is trying to figure out a way to make his forward passes work to complement his physical/defensive side of the game.

Agreed with above posters, Sylla might be the one I look most forward to follow right now, he's kind of like a partially unopened footballing treasure chest at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Â