Paul Lambert

Pilchard

:snip:

Except before Lambert came along Guzan, didn't play

just because they were here prior to Lambert doesn't mean he hasn't done anything with them.

In case people forget Lambert actually signed Guzan.

The club had released him on a free.

While that is true, it doesn't invalidate either of Ginko's statements i.e. that before Lambert came along Guzan wasn't playing and also that Guzan was here prior to Lambert too.

It's arguable that, for all the signings he's made, half the side is made up of player's that were here before he came - Guzan, Gabby, Weimann, Delph & Baker/Clark. Guess that says a lot about the players we've signed.

Getting more out of those already here. Can't argue with that.

So half the side are made up of players he bought? Guess that says a lot about the players we've signed. 

We haven't really had the money to sign ready made players who can come straight in, a lot are rough gems who will be in and out of the team.

So what exactly do people think Lambert's style of football is? We had some talk about 'Dortmund' style football when he arrived and I don't really think it's coming to fruition. He seems to favour physical attributes, either in terms of size, strength, pace or work-rate over smaller, technical players and we've generally done quite well as a counter-attacking side as a result. Personally, I don't mind this style and I'd like to see it be successful but there's no escaping we look like a bad side at home when the opposition concedes territory and gives our players time on the ball. 

It pains me to say it because I'm no fan of 'tippy-tappy' football but I look at what Southampton, Swansea and Everton are doing with their continental managers and they really seem to dominate at home especially against weaker teams. These are teams that we should be competing with theoretically at least. I suppose they have spent money these teams but it's also a question of managerial style. I mean Martinez was committed to playing the same way at Wigan with much worse players than he has now whilst Moyes has moved to Man Utd and would rather play a big hulking player like Fellaini than play a small technical player like Kagawa. 

I'm still not sure Lambert has a distinctive style, maybe he's too young a manager to have a clear idea of what he wants to do yet. I'm starting to wonder if the way we're playing can ever be that successful though. I'm very interested in what's going on at Southampton, the change from Adkins to Pochetinno seems to have made a huge difference to their style of play and even at the end of last season with the same players as Adkins he made a big difference. Maybe a more continental-minded manager is needed, they don't necessarily have to be foreign, Brendan Rodgers bangs on relentlessly about his football 'philosophy' and I just don't get similar vibes from Lambert. 

Was reading on another site from a poster who thinks he's one of the worst managers we've had, that he has signed 17 players, spending £37mill. Now I disagree with all of it, but can anyone confirm that these are not facts and just ignorant bull??

how many years of 'transition' do we have to go through before we can just be considered as just 'not very good' without the excuses to go with it.

we have now established ourselves firmly as a bottom half of the table side and this season have started going backwards in terms of our forward line.

we need a strong performance and win to push us back in the right direction and give us a platform to start improving again, so far that hasn't happened and if anything we have got worse as this season has progressed.

not saying we haven't got more potential in the side now, just stating where we are now.

Edited by VillanousOne

Was reading on another site from a poster who thinks he's one of the worst managers we've had, that he has signed 17 players, spending £37mill. Now I disagree with all of it, but can anyone confirm that these are not facts and just ignorant bull??

not sure how true it is but thats still just over 2 million per player. think teams like Cardiff spent 37 million in summer window 

how many years of 'transition' do we have to go through before we can just be considered as just 'not very good' without the excuses to go with it.

we have now established ourselves firmly as a bottom half of the table side and this season have started going backwards in terms of our forward line.

we need a strong performance and win to push us back in the right direction and give us a platform to start improving again, so far that hasn't happened and if anything we have got worse as this season has progressed.

not saying we haven't got more potential in the side now, just stating where we are now.

Decoded: "When we win I'm happy. When we lose I'm sad. Why can't we be good NOW!?" 

In my post I mentioned lack of speed. In the same post I also said he has no other attributes to make up for that lack of speed, so pretty pointless pointing out players who quite clearly had other attributes that made up for their lack of speed.

Some Rocky III eye of the tiger running montage? Benteke as  Apollo Creed and Lambert as Mickey?

Edited by The Fun Factory

So what exactly do people think Lambert's style of football is? We had some talk about 'Dortmund' style football when he arrived and I don't really think it's coming to fruition. He seems to favour physical attributes, either in terms of size, strength, pace or work-rate over smaller, technical players and we've generally done quite well as a counter-attacking side as a result. Personally, I don't mind this style and I'd like to see it be successful but there's no escaping we look like a bad side at home when the opposition concedes territory and gives our players time on the ball. 

It pains me to say it because I'm no fan of 'tippy-tappy' football but I look at what Southampton, Swansea and Everton are doing with their continental managers and they really seem to dominate at home especially against weaker teams. These are teams that we should be competing with theoretically at least. I suppose they have spent money these teams but it's also a question of managerial style. I mean Martinez was committed to playing the same way at Wigan with much worse players than he has now whilst Moyes has moved to Man Utd and would rather play a big hulking player like Fellaini than play a small technical player like Kagawa. 

I'm still not sure Lambert has a distinctive style, maybe he's too young a manager to have a clear idea of what he wants to do yet. I'm starting to wonder if the way we're playing can ever be that successful though. I'm very interested in what's going on at Southampton, the change from Adkins to Pochetinno seems to have made a huge difference to their style of play and even at the end of last season with the same players as Adkins he made a big difference. Maybe a more continental-minded manager is needed, they don't necessarily have to be foreign, Brendan Rodgers bangs on relentlessly about his football 'philosophy' and I just don't get similar vibes from Lambert. 

Counter attack. Similar to O Neill. 

The reason why we have established ourselves as a bottom half team (I'd dispute the use of the word firmly though) is because of those transitions. Let's not forget that this is the first season since 09/10 where we've started it with the same manager we finished the previous season with.

Given our opening fixtures and current position there's no reaosn why we can't finish top half this season.

• Like 1

I agree with much of what you say but I really don't understand when you say;

"He seems to favour physical attributes, either in terms of size, strength, pace or work-rate over smaller, technical players "

Personally I think the problem we have in midfield is a lack of the attributes you mention. KEA, Westwood & Delph are technically gifted but lack strength and size. As shown against Spurs our midfield invariably get out muscled.

The presence of "Smaller technical players" in our midfield is IMHO THE problem.

I think it’s still a bit early to judge Lambert.

As far as I am concerned he should only be judged on what he does here at Villa and not constantly compare it to what’s happening at other clubs. Although this cannot be evaluated in a vacuum it is often pointless comparing Villa to other clubs. We do have the equivalent money, youth academies and esteem of other clubs and so should judge our manager on what he’s make of what we have got and how he improves it.

Apart from Darren Bent, I do not think any player has gone backwards under his stewardship. Bent and the rest of the bomb squad should probably be removed from that analysis anyway due to being seen as surplus to requirements in part due to their salaries.

Plenty of players have and are continuing to improve and he signed the only world class player we have had at this club since Yorke.

At this juncture I am willing to allow him the time to continue to develop this set of players and hope that when Benteke inevitably moves PL will be given that money and more to try to continue to build this squad.

There no doubt PLs favoured tactic is counter attacking.  However he is clearly trying to find alternatives that the squad can handle.

At this point his greatest achievement is building a proper team spirit and getting honest effort from our squad. Something that was not evident in the years preceding his appointment.

It's not really like ONeill. 

MON liked wingers. Our counter attacks under him were about getting the ball out to the channels quickly, then the wide player would put in crosses to the striker. 

We don't play with wingers or put in crosses under Lambert. 

He's spent more than that.  £22m in year 1, £20m this.  Other than Benteke, hard to point at a player who has been an out and out success, and he's spent a fair bit quite badly, e.g. £7m on Kozak.

It's not really like ONeill. 

MON liked wingers. Our counter attacks under him were about getting the ball out to the channels quickly, then the wide player would put in crosses to the striker. 

We don't play with wingers or put in crosses under Lambert. 

I agree, MON was 4-4-2 with wide men.

Im not sure how to decribe Lamberts style of play, it always looks a bit disjointed and clueless if Im honest. I was not a fan of Lambert before he came and he hasnt done anything to change my mind since he has been here. I actually think we are one of the worst teams to watch in the premier league but that may be due to the fact that the bulk of the squad is not very good too and not just Lambert although I thought his Norwich team were shite to watch too

It's arguable that, for all the signings he's made, half the side is made up of player's that were here before he came - Guzan, Gabby, Weimann, Delph & Baker/Clark. Guess that says a lot about the players we've signed.

Except before Lambert came along Guzan, Weimann and Baker didn't play and, under our previous two managers, Gabby and Delph were not playing well at all. You have to give credit where it's due, just because they were here prior to Lambert doesn't mean he hasn't done anything with them. You don't only judge a manager on the players he brings in.

That being said, I'm not exactly Lambert's biggest fan. I think he makes tactical mistakes in games and he's missed opportunities to address problems we've had for a long time concerning buying players in certain positions.

We've had a tough set of opening fixtures for the season though. I think we'll improve a little from here on in.

I guess my post looked a little bit anti Lambert. To be fair, it was just a statement of the way the team looks on paper. You could argue over the way the team looks in many ways. You could say his signings have been largely not good enough hence the need to use 5 old boys. Or, you could say he's developed them and brought a few in and they've done well. You could also say that we haven't been too good because he was forced into playing the likes of Clark and Baker because replacements couldn't be afforded by the owner etc.

I would like to see what Lambert could do if he had the kind of backing that O'Neill had. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like he'll ever get that chance here, especially whilst Lerner is the oer.

He's spent more than that.  £22m in year 1, £20m this.  Other than Benteke, hard to point at a player who has been an out and out success, and he's spent a fair bit quite badly, e.g. £7m on Kozak.

£20m this year? Pretty sure it was a lot less than that.

It's also way too early to be writing off Kozak as a bad signing given that he hasn't even played half a dozen games for us.

I haven't written Kozak off, I just think that with the striking options we have, the money would have been better spent on our pathetic midfield.

You said it was spent badly, but if Kozak turns out to be a good player then how can that be money badly spent?