Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Complaining about derailing a thread and then posting a video link of benteke getting his ears flicked in a thread about Paul Lambert.

You couldn't make it up.

Isnt the video actually Benteke referencing Lambert at one point,  or have I misread that?

No i believe that was the hilarious made up translation.

Complaining about derailing a thread and then posting a video link of benteke getting his ears flicked in a thread about Paul Lambert.

You couldn't make it up.

Isnt the video actually Benteke referencing Lambert at one point,  or have I misread that?

Made up translation that a Belgian translated? :huh:  You don't help yourself.

You couldn't make it up.

Made up translation that a Belgian translated? :huh:  You don't help yourself.

http://www.reddit.com/r/chelseafc/comments/1bdug6/hazard_lukaku_de_bruyne_and_other_belgians/c96043f

Most people would agree that Lambert's best signings this year have been Guzan, Lowton, Benteke and Westwood.

Excluding Guzan, they were all signed from lower (or 'lesser') leagues.

I imagine they are thankful of Lambert for taking a chance on them, and making them a big part of a Premier League team.

In the past we've seen our players poached from underneath our noses, whilst other teams have managed to hold on to their better players (eg. Everton - Fellani, Arteta (for a while, at least)).

I like to think that we'll start to see Lambert building a team that are happy to hang around to see how Lambert builds the team with further investment.

I agree I'm hoping what we've got now is the start of an exciting long term squad.

Take out Given, Ireland, Hutton, Makoun, Dunne and Bent and that will surely free up a few more quid in the summer, and it only leaves us with young players who have been in and around the first team this year, plus the academy hopefuls.

I'd like to think that this group of players can be added to and improved quite a lot in the summer, with the same mould of signing that will give us some long term direction.

It doesn't work like that though unfortunately. I'd love us to shift all those players in the summer but I think the chances of anyone taking them are slim unless they're down the the final year in their contracts.

Makoun and Dunne are definitely going.

I wouldn't mind Bent and Given staying if I'm honest as you can never have too much quality, so long as it doesn't halt or badly hinder what squad policy we try to go forward with.

Ireland and Hutton I agree will be tough to shift, it prob depends on the players more than anything what they want to do over the next few seasons before their Villa deals eventually run out.

I think Given will go. He sounds like he wants to play.

People keep saying he'll be happy to sit on the bench and earn all his money, but I don't think there's any evidence of that.

I'm interested that people refer to Guzan as a Lambert signing. He had been at the club for some years before Lambo arrived and by some unintelligible process was being let go on a free. So it's more like a "Lambert saving the club from a stupid deed" rather than a "signing" as we usually understand the word.  :)

It's not quite the same but at the same time remember that he was as (un)known to Lambert at that point as the other signings were. He had only just arrived at a Villa side that was Guzan-less and had never worked with him.

I think that Guzan potentially could turn out to be the biggest long term success story of Lambert's reign.

I'm sure Guzan should be with Villa for a good few years, and Lambert will be hard pushed to find another signing of more long term value to the club.

Ultimately Lambert needed to sign a back-up goalkeeper on the cheap so I would consider Guzan as much of a 'signing' as anyone else he could have gone for.  It was an absolute masterstroke.  I wonder if the increase in value of Lambert's signings will convince Lerner to give him a decent kitty, realising that he's more than likely going to get something back for his investment rather than having to write it off like under previous managers.

The thing is apparently we offered Guzan a contract but he still chose to leave the club because of a lack of first team football (Think McLeish said that on Goals on Sunday). For Guzan to come back Lambert must have promised him game time. Which I find strange because i'm not sure how Lambert would have known what Guzan was capable of as he barely played?